Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
I don't think it'll stop these services from running. I've contacted a few and they all say it won't affect them.

unlocking contract phones is what this law seems to be concerned with

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
I don't think it'll stop these services from running. I've contacted a few and they all say it won't affect them.

unlocking contract phones is what this law seems to be concerned with

Yeap! Stupid law is stupid! It is like downloading musics from torrent is illegal yet it doesnt stop people from doing it!

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Yeap! Stupid law is stupid! It is like downloading musics from torrent is illegal yet it doesnt stop people from doing it!

Haha good way to out yourself, but good example. :)

The sheer number of people doing it makes it impossible to regulate. Kind of like underage drinking.

wenglish

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
This is an opportunity for the unlocking providers to make even more money by charging to re-lock iPhones that were previously unlocked (apparently) in contravention of the TOS, before the Phone Police come and take them away.

I believe I removed the tag off a mattress once, but I got away with it (unless the Mattress Police are reading this thread).

I think I'll scuttle my plan to move my remaining two lines (of three) to AT&T on iPhones as the primary motivator was the continued existence of cheap (and legal) unlocks. I'll either switch to Verizon iPhones, or the always-unlocked Nexus 4 and stay with T-Mobile.

Sheesh!

oj in compton

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
So is unlock_fusion no longer offering unlocks for at&t iPhones? His eBay page says he is on vacation until the 27th, and it's now the 28th.

(should clarify that mine were purchased in 2011)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
But this change just refers to new devices purchased after the 26th and unauthorized unlocks, right? I can still go through AT&T (http://www.att.com/deviceunlock) to unlock my previously purchased iPhone?

Off course.
As long as you meet their criteria for unlocking you can have it carrier unlocked.
The new law is for unauthorized unlocks. Authorized unlocks made by the carrier will still be available.

badassdes

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2011
USA
I unlocked my iPhone 5 with 'unlock fusion' back in September. My question is, if I want to update to iOS 6.1 and do a fresh restore for the upcoming JB, will my phone still be unlocked?

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
I unlocked my iPhone 5 with 'unlock fusion' back in September. My question is, if I want to update to iOS 6.1 and do a fresh restore for the upcoming JB, will my phone still be unlocked?

Yes. Already confirmed with my iPhone 5, my old iPhone 4 and my wife's iPhone 4S.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Yes, your iphone will be forever unlocked no matter how many times you restore or update.

Thank you. Is the 'unlock Fusion" a factory unlock? Sorry for my newbieness...:(

Correct.
Its a permanent factory unlock. Not a hack.

CKohkah

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
My Unlocked iPhone 5 (That I unlocked from Ebay) is having issues with the lock screen button on the top of the phone. It looks like I;m going to need to make an apple store appointment.

If they end up giving me a new iPhone 5 will the unlock stick when they transfer the phone in their system to the new phone? Or will I have to pay for a new unlock? It wont really isn't a big deal if I have to, I'm just curious.

Anyone have this happen?

ibleedgolden

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2012
My Unlocked iPhone 5 (That I unlocked from Ebay) is having issues with the lock screen button on the top of the phone. It looks like I;m going to need to make an apple store appointment.

If they end up giving me a new iPhone 5 will the unlock stick when they transfer the phone in their system to the new phone? Or will I have to pay for a new unlock? It wont really isn't a big deal if I have to, I'm just curious.

Anyone have this happen?

I'd imagine that you'll get a locked iPhone since unlocking services rely on imei number and your replacement iPhone will have a different imei number.

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
I'd imagine that you'll get a locked iPhone since unlocking services rely on imei number and your replacement iPhone will have a different imei number.

Not sure for warranties however I have heard in cases of AppleCare replacements when they switch the IMEI it supposedly unlocks your replacement phone. Haven't had a chance to test that though.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012

Anyone have this happen?

The unlock should transfer to the new phone. I have personal had an iPhone 4 replaced and the unlock followed to the new phone/IMEI.

shaguaaa

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2013
I don't know. But they seem to work.

People are figuring out how to do it and becoming resellers like crazy. I think the actual cost is like $4-$5.
ipad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.