Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Trust me, YOU don't want to see that button come back.
24w6ck3.jpg

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
The plastic underneath the glass is painted with a colour that reflects all wavelengths of visible light. Conversely, black absorbs all wavelengths of visible light.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
The plastic underneath the glass is painted with a colour that reflects all wavelengths of visible light. Conversely, black absorbs all wavelengths of visible light.

I think it's fascinating. If you have the iPhone 5, the white on the front vs the white on the back are two different whites. Yet white iPhone never get dirty. Even if you smeared dirt on it, it wouldn't get dirty.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
I mean it's not as simple as finding out how other things are white, I mean Apple cables are quite obviously plastic. But the iPhone 5 is neither plastic nor completely glass.

So where does the white come from?

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
I think the word troll gets thrown around too often nowadays I mean you just popped into the thread without adding a single ounce of legitimate discussion.

You could be considered the troll

Maybe I am but at least I know how a white iPhone is white!

And way to be a hippocrate.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Well what really makes it interesting is the fact that the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 4 are two different whites. Like the iPhone 4 white is quite obviously a single layer.

Yet the iPhone 5 is appears to have a layer underneath. You can see a reflection on the earpiece.

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
I mean it's not as simple as finding out how other things are white, I mean Apple cables are quite obviously plastic. But the iPhone 5 is neither plastic nor completely glass.

So where does the white come from?

Holy crap really? THEY USE A WHITE COATING UNDER THE GLASS INSTEAD OF BLACK! What don't you understand!?

Thats like asking how are white cars white, It's simple they paint them white instead of black.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Holy crap really? THEY USE A WHITE COATING UNDER THE GLASS INSTEAD OF BLACK! What don't you understand!?

Thats like asking how are white cars white, It's simple they paint them white instead of black.

Oh. Well now we know.

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
It's white because the material it's made of reflects all visible colors. Done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.