Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattbm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Hello,
I've just updated iTunes to 11 (11.0.1 for the time) on Snow Leo 10.6.8, almost everything works perfectly, it's much faster than previous version BUT:

- every time I relaunch iTunes, it goes back to its default window size (which is a bit wider than my macbook screen resolution 1280). I had tried everything, this trick with Option+maximize from older versions but nothing helped. Any ideas?

msc126

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2013
I have a similar problem: I've updated to iTunes 11 (11.0.1) and I've mountain lion 10.8.2.

No matter how I resize iTunes, if I quit it and then open it, the window will come back to default size. It only seems to happen on the horizontal length. If i resize it vertically, it will remember next time I open iTunes. The same doesn't happen for the horizontal resize: iTunes will show the default horizontal size every time I open it.

F1 Fan

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2012
Germany
Has anyone got anywhere on this issue yet? I'm on Windows 7 and having the same problem. Really annoying thing is that it defaults to slightly larger than my screen so that the right hand side scroll bar is off the screen! To fix it, I have to drag it down away from the edge, shrink it, move it back into the centre and then maximise it - every time! :mad:

msc126

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2013
I have a similar problem: I've updated to iTunes 11 (11.0.1) and I've mountain lion 10.8.2.

No matter how I resize iTunes, if I quit it and then open it, the window will come back to default size. It only seems to happen on the horizontal length. If i resize it vertically, it will remember next time I open iTunes. The same doesn't happen for the horizontal resize: iTunes will show the default horizontal size every time I open it.

I've found the solution for this! Maybe it will help for the original post issue!

Code:
cd /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/YOURLANGUAGE.lproj/

replace YOURLANGUAGE with the system language!

Code:
sudo nano AppConfig.plist

edit the field "browser-window-minimum-width" for 700 (english version has this value).

Ctrl + X, and then confirm Yes, and finally Enter.

genimac

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2013
I've found the solution for this! Maybe it will help for the original post issue!

Code:
cd /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/YOURLANGUAGE.lproj/

replace YOURLANGUAGE with the system language!

Code:
sudo nano AppConfig.plist

edit the field "browser-window-minimum-width" for 700 (english version has this value).

Ctrl + X, and then confirm Yes, and finally Enter.

Thanks a lot for the tip.
In my MacBook with 10.7.5 and iTunes 11.0.2 I need to change
Code:
<key>browser-window-minimum-width</key>
                <integer>1300</integer>
to
Code:
<key>browser-window-minimum-width</key>
                <integer>1000</integer>
now I can resize the width from 1000px to full screen.

bekble

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
can sb explain it to me step by step please?

hi,

I don't understand how to follow this instructions,

1)does "cd /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/YOURLANGUAGE.lproj/" mean to open "Terminal" and write "cd /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/YOURLANGUAGE.lproj/"?

2)if yes, when I replace "Applications" to "Programy" what means Applications in my language and "YOURLANGUAGE" to "pl.Iproj" than Terminal says:"-bash: cd: /Programy/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/pl.lproj: No such file or directory"

3)how can I find how my language is called in iTunes folder and what did I do wrong?

4)I also tried to edit AppConfig.plist by TextEdit - I changed "<key>browser-window-minimum-width</key>
<integer>1200</integer>" into <key>browser-window-minimum-width</key>
<integer>1000</integer> but in vain.

please help,

best regards,
bekble

Last edited:

genimac

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2013
hi,

I don't understand how to follow this instructions,

1)does "cd /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/YOURLANGUAGE.lproj/" mean to open "Terminal" and write "cd /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/YOURLANGUAGE.lproj/"?

2)if yes, when I replace "Applications" to "Programy" what means Applications in my language and "YOURLANGUAGE" to "pl.Iproj" than Terminal says:"-bash: cd: /Programy/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/pl.lproj: No such file or directory"

3)how can I find how my language is called in iTunes folder and what did I do wrong?

4)I also tried to edit AppConfig.plist by TextEdit - I changed "<key>browser-window-minimum-width</key>
<integer>1200</integer>" into <key>browser-window-minimum-width</key>
<integer>1000</integer> but in vain.

please help,

best regards,
bekble

Do the following:
- open the Application folder
- right-click or ctrl-click the iTunes application
- select the second option on the menu (show package contents)
- open all needed folders until you see the YOURLANGUAGE.lproj folder
- open terminal
- type "cd " (yes put an space) and drag the YOURLANGUAGE.lproj folder to the terminal window, you have the path typed so "enter"
- do the "sudo nano AppConfig.plist"

bekble

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
thank you "genimac" very very much!!

it solved not only this problem but in the future I will understand solutions like this one :)

best regards
js

cosmicrepairman

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2014
a far simpler solution

I have Snow Leopard, just installed iTunes 11.3.1, was instantly annoyed by the fact that it wouldn't remember either the window size that I set, or that I wanted the sidebar visible.

Found this and other threads with others complaining of the same thing, wasn't happy with the solutions offered - I just want the damn thing to remember how I left it when it re-opens like every other app.

The solution: I toggled the green dot a few times, and it switched between full screen and where I had it. Then I quit and restarted it and it remembered not only the size but kept the sidebar. And it continues to do so, no matter how big or small I leave the window.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.