Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
You've got quite the nice sum of anecdotal evidence there sir! Look around. iPhones are not immune to issues. There are people on the other side of the coin (equally wrong) that claim apple quality control has gone down hill because they know two people who had issues too. Your numbers mean nothing at all.

my numbers mean enough for me to decide which I would rather. Thanks

----------

My dog's pedicurist's neice met someone who had been in a phone shop at the same time as someone was telling a sales assistant that their mother's SGS3 was broken.

But srsly, just because Windows PCs (in my living memory) have always outsold Macs, didn't stop Apple making hefty profits.
The problem with Samsung is the company itself is fragmented - never mind Android. I recently had to buy a case for my Mum's friend's Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (true story) and navigating the website was like wading through a treacle maze in the dark.
On top of that, they just have far too many SKUs to be working to the same margins/profits as Apple and for most consumers, that is too much choice. Look at the smartphone page on their site (in the UK). 28 Android phones. Think of a word and chances are it has a Galaxy phone named after it (with a Plus/Mini variant).
When people talk ecosystem, things like the website and retail stores need to be considered too. Not one other smartphone manufacturer has the high street presence or easy to navigate website that Apple does.
I'm not for a minute claiming that Apple should just sit back and watch Samsung eat itself (because it really can't afford to lose momentum) but I don't think it's doomed just yet - well maybe with geeks, but then the iPhone was never really designed for geeks.

cool

----------

almost every apple product my wife and i have owned has needed repair

original ipod
my iphone 3gs
her iphone 4

sorry to hear. I guess you can choose not to use Apple and I will choose to use them based on different experiences :)

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
This is like scoring more points in the 4th quarter of the Super bowl but still losing the game.

Note 2 owner

This is like Samsung having the football in possession longer and more yardage, but Apple makes more touchdowns.

Samsung might sell more phones for the year, but Apple makes tons more money. :D

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
I would like to see a comparison with the iPhone5 vs. SGSIII. But only in equal time periods.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
I would like to see a comparison with the iPhone5 vs. SGSIII. But only in equal time periods.

Given that The 5 has sold almost twice the units of the S3, and has been available for just over half as long, any comparison is pointless.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
you're disregarding the fact that if a person wants iOS, they only have one choice, Apple. If a person wants Android, they have the option of Samsung, Motorola, HTC, Sony, LG, etc. So for you to argue about the discrepancy of models offered by each company is a moot point.

Your disregarding the fact iOS & Android are not phones but operating systems. All the people I've talked too who own the iPhone never mention the fact they want iOS, they only want the iPhone. Most don't even know what iOS is or what it does.

The general public don't separate the operating system from the phone. They talk about phone models, not about wanting the operating systems.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Given that The 5 has sold almost twice the units of the S3, and has been available for just over half as long, any comparison is pointless.

I absolutely CANNOT wait until the news says that the iPhone 5 was the most sold phone in the quarter ...my cousin who is a Android fanatic talks ish everyday saying "the S3 is the most sold phone smartphone in the world for a reason". He thinks the S3 outsold the iPhone 5 last quarter

By the way, how do you know the i5 sold twice the amount of S3 units?

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
You don't seem to understand business very well. Without profits and marketshare, you won't have great design and polished innovation. A company without marketshare and profits is a dead company.

Samsung bought (literally) market share. Apple is still in it for margins and has sufficient marketshare to sustain a growing ecosystem.

For now, Apple dominates profits in the industry and for all practical purposes, Samsung gets the balance. Neither model is particularly sustainable down the road a few years when the world market for smartphones nears saturation.

I expect that Apple will keep its current iOS product line and expand with both a cheaper iPhone, a "larger" iPhone, and an updated iPhone 5 all while managing an expanding supply chain. Cries of lack of innovation belie a maturing market, so expect fewer breakthrough features, and a continuation of a steady evolution that meets or exceeds most of the needs of consumers (this applies to Samsung as well).

I believe that Samsung has a tougher job of sustaining the market share that they captured. They can't sustain 8-12 B$ a year sales and marketing on the margins that they are capturing, and there are manufacturers in China that will be able to capture some of Samsung's gains. Android OS benefitted the rapid rise of Samsung, but I doubt that it's ubiquity will be any protection from competition of the other OEM's.

Reader's digest version; as a two horse race that analyst's love, it isn't near over. My interest lies more in which of the underdogs, Blackberry, HTC, Sony, Nokia, or Motorola will be able to move itself into a solid 3rd place in either profits or marketshare.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
I believe that Samsung has a tougher job of sustaining the market share that they captured. They can't sustain 8-12 B$ a year sales and marketing on the margins that they are capturing, and there are manufacturers in China that will be able to capture some of Samsung's gains. Android OS benefitted the rapid rise of Samsung, but I doubt that it's ubiquity will be any protection from competition of the other OEM's.

Samsung had record profits for Q4... due in part to how well the S3/Notes are selling:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/24/business/samsung-record-fourth-quarter-2012-profits/index.html

So while Samsung's margins maybe lower than Apple's, they're still very healthy.

----------

I absolutely CANNOT wait until the news says that the iPhone 5 was the most sold phone in the quarter ...

Perhaps only in the US; but worldwide, Android is doing very very well... even in Canada.

But if you look at this chart, Samsung outsold Apple over the past couple of years:

http://www.gsmarena.com/strategy_analytics_apple_top_phone_maker_in_us_for_q4_-news-5459.php

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Samsung had record profits for Q4... due in part to how well the S3/Notes are selling:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/24/business/samsung-record-fourth-quarter-2012-profits/index.html

So while Samsung's margins maybe lower than Apple's, they're still very healthy.

----------

Perhaps only in the US; but worldwide, Android is doing very very well... even in Canada.

But if you look at this chart, Samsung outsold Apple over the past couple of years:

http://www.gsmarena.com/strategy_analytics_apple_top_phone_maker_in_us_for_q4_-news-5459.php
Those numbers are based on shipments not sales. Samsung sales are way lower than their shipments, but there is no real way to know because Samsung does not reveal there shipments or sales. We're as Apple shipment numbers turned into sales.

Last edited:

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
I absolutely CANNOT wait until the news says that the iPhone 5 was the most sold phone in the quarter ...my cousin who is a Android fanatic talks ish everyday saying "the S3 is the most sold phone smartphone in the world for a reason". He thinks the S3 outsold the iPhone 5 last quarter

By the way, how do you know the i5 sold twice the amount of S3 units?

I don't know, but projections were 50-60 million sold, and Samsung peeps were crowing about 30 million total S3's sold.

macdragonfl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale,Fl
Another Factor

___________________________________________________________________________________________

But Remember Samsung's largest customer is Apple. Apple is pulling back anything they can from Samsung which does not reflect in their profits now but will over the next few years.

Last edited:

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011

___________________________________________________________________________________________

But Remember Samsung's largest customer is Apple. Apple is pulling back anything they can from Samsung which does not reflect in their profits now but will over the next few years.
These profits are not due to smart phones.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Whatever bud. Happy you aren;t an analyst LOL!

haha yeah! you too :)

----------

When consumers buy a phone they generally have these things in mind:

How cool does it look?
Is it affordable?
Will it last long?
Does it run iOS or Android (personal preference)?

Obviously the iPhone looks a tonne better than the Samsung but at a slightly higher cost. They will both last long giving that you have no faults with either device. Both phones can have battery replacements just the S3 you can do it yourself. iOS or Android seems to be about familiarity. Whatever someone gets used to automatically becomes "the better system" in their mind even when not even testing out the competitor.

For me I go for looks and aesthetics over functionality in my phones because a phone is meant to be used as a phone and not something to hack security doors open etc. Automatically I chose Apple for the physical and software design. I look at the OSs in terms of a jigsaw puzzle. iOS seems to be a made puzzle whereas android you have to dig a bit into the UI to get where you want to be (unmade puzzle). I know which I prefer and I have used both. The biggest thing for me though is how it looks from the outside. You can't beat aluminium and I hope Apple continue using it.

I am pretty sure a large percentage of sales of the Samsung phones are generally sheeping sales from iPhone haters getting their voice out there. Apple has done a great job in coming out on top again with all the negativity thrown at them in a world full of closed minded people.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
LOL...
Yes, the projections were at 50 mill iPhone 5s, but the real numbers were 48 mill iPhones in total, with 70% of them the iPhone 4 and 4s. And remember, Apple had to do so many discounts to achieve those numbers. The truth is, Apple massively underperformed, even with patriotic Americans willing to pay more for inferior products if an "American company" made it.
GS3 still sold more in total.

Also, I would dump Apple stock if you have any. After the US dollar crashes, Apple will either lose their American base or drop the price of their products. Either way, their profits are gonna go down.

Wildly innacurate - the 5 made up over half of all iPhone sales last quarter (52%). Cook says this was the same type of split they saw last year with the 4S too, though he could just be saying that.

Obviously if you're looking at the whole year, the 5 has a HUGE disadvantage given that it was released at the end of the year.....

To say Apple massively underperformed given they took the top phone sales spot from Samsung for the first time since 2008 is laughable....

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.