Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robogobo

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Sitting down facing front.
There was a time going smaller was thought of as a feature.

Yeah, I remember when the tiny flip phones were all the rage. I'd actually love to see a smaller iPhone. Just something I can pop my SIM into and take running or any other time when a normal iPhone is too big. It would be sacrificing a browser experience but still have my email, calendar and contacts all synced up.

----------

You're right... they should be making smaller phones. Or maybe stay the same. THAT'S innovation. :D

But seriously... you may say Apple is following the competition... but maybe the competition is onto something.

Every time someone buys a phone larger than 4"... it proves there's a market for it.

There were 4.3" phones THREE years ago. And the trend today is even larger. People like 'em.

If larger phones were a mistake... all phones would have gone back to 4" or below. But they didn't.

However, just because people think they prefer it, doesn't mean it's actually a better experience for them. If every year tens of millions of people buy a 5" phone thinking it'll be a good experience, but they hate it and never by one again, it will still seem like there's a market for it, when in reality that segment is just learning what designers already knew. I'm not saying that's the case, but early sales figures can mistake a trend for a solid segment.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
However, just because people think they prefer it, doesn't mean it's actually a better experience for them. If every year tens of millions of people buy a 5" phone thinking it'll be a good experience, but they hate it and never by one again, it will still seem like there's a market for it, when in reality that segment is just learning what designers already knew. I'm not saying that's the case, but early sales figures can mistake a trend for a solid segment.

Other companies have designers too.... and they made 4" phones 3 years ago.

Apple just recently got to 4"... while everyone else has been making phones larger than 4" this whole time.

There is no "one perfect size" but Apple only makes one size. Either Apple is confident... or they're stubborn.

I love my iPhone... but to me it's less of a phone and more of a pocket computer. A larger screen is certainly welcomed.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
I don't think I can do iOS on a phone anymore. The screen space is still small and everything feels so cramped. iOS needs a complete rebuild in my opinion, but for now it works decent enough on the iPad because the apps make use of the larger screen and resolution.

I'm personally looking more forward to what the Galaxy S4 will bring to the table, I've been very happy with the S3 though it's not a perfect phone. Only thing I can guess is that it will have 1080p screen, but we'll see what the next version of Android includes and how it improves. Seems they're the only ones innovating these days.

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
The two of us discussed what benefits the speculated iPhone Plus might have.

As I just explained, no, that is not what I was debating. If it is helping you to sleep better at night to hold fast to that belief, however, then I won't hold it against you, and we can close the matter. So, lets agree to disagree on that.

You'll notice that in my lat two paragraphs from my last post (the two you deleted without responding to) I did address that point. So I guess that closes that up too.

Take care, and have a great day.

Hephaestus

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
My personal opinion is that Apple better improve the screen size they went with for the iPhone 5. I was keen on getting the new phone until I saw that awful 4" screen.

For one reason... the darn thing is way to narrow. The proportions are just wrong, anyone who says otherwise is in denial. It is far too narrow. As for the "one handed use" nonsense, it is just that.. nonsense. I'll be sticking with my iPhone 4 until those screen proportions improve.

Why not widen the phone a little? Does anyone here seriously think that will compromise one hand use? Be serious now.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
My personal opinion is that Apple better improve the screen size they went with for the iPhone 5. I was keen on getting the new phone until I saw that awful 4" screen.

For one reason... the darn thing is way to narrow. The proportions are just wrong, anyone who says otherwise is in denial. It is far too narrow. As for the "one handed use" nonsense, it is just that.. nonsense. I'll be sticking with my iPhone 4 until those screen proportions improve.

Why not widen the phone a little? Does anyone here seriously think that will compromise one hand use? Be serious now.

If anything is done with the "proportions" it will be a smaller top and bottom bezel.. I don't see them widening the actual screen from 16:9 and making yet another unusual aspect ratio.

I do enjoy how you label everyone who doesn't share your opinion as being in "denial" :)

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
I just applied the same logic to the iPad. What's the difference?

What's the difference between ignoring one's specific words and taking a point completely out of context rather than not doing so? Are you serious?

You clearly sound like you are an intelligent individual, but I honestly can't take anything else you've written seriously. I don't mean to disrespect you, but I didn't finish reading your post and probably won't do so. When I see intelligent people ignoring common sense, I can do nothing but assume I am being baited into what will inevitably turn into a frivolous, nonsense debate.

I'll let my previous points in this thread stand as my firm and final position on the topic of a 264 PPI iPhone with a larger screen than the current iPhone, and will point you and anyone else to those comments if you wish to review my position and feelings on the topic.

When Apple does finally grace us with an iPhone with a larger screen (I think we can all agree it will happen eventually) we can come back and revisit the thread, and have a post-mortem on it. I'm all for that type of discussion.

BeardedOrc

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
If iPhone comes up with an even bigger screen, they have to revamp the iOS. One big glaring issue is that their "back" button is located in the upper left corner. If would be harder for the thumb to reach that area as the screen gets bigger unless you are left-handed. Android had been using a dedicated "back" button on the right lower side which is always reachable regardless of screen size. They even implemented a way to move the keyboard to move closer to left or right side to help texting with one hand if you're left or right handed person.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
I think it would be nice if Apple made a larger iPhone .
But they would need to make it high-tech , not just a larger iPhone.

Instead of blowing up the iPhone 5 design, they need to reduce the size of the bezels , and make a more compact design.
And they really should double the res of the iPhone 5:
2272x1280 IGZO at 4,8 inch. Powered by an a7 or an a6x at 28nm.
And introducing fingerprint scanner and NFC with good software for integration.

That is the way apple should do it. Not just follow, but improving ...

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
larger screen

If Apple does introduce this spring or early summer, an iPhone with a 4.9 inch screen, I am so in!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
That's like saying if i have a 32 inch tv that is 1080p, there is no advantage in buying a 60 inch tv that is 1080p.....

Games and Netflix would be a LOT more enjoyable on a bigger iphone with the same resolution. Or maybe you just have TINY fingers and don't mind missing half the screen when playing a game (have you seen the Samsung commercial? :) or maybe you like squinting at small screens when you watch shows.

Or MAYBE you don't game or use your iphone for video consumption and then i would ask why you have one of the most expensive smartphones in the first place but at the very least you should have said....."Otherwise there are no advantages FOR ME going to a larger screen, but MANY other people would benefit greatly"

So many people think the world revolves around them and that no one else would use a product different than they do. Oh, Apple customers lol......

Buddy, I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. Tell me why are big screens are bad again? And no I don't watch an excessive amount of video on my phone. Thats not an enjoyable experience. BTW your right, Angry Birds is so much more enjoyable with a wider pixel spread :rolleyes:

Just in case I have to spell it out for you... Bigger screen with same amount of pixels = worse picture quality.

As for your TV reference, its not translatable to a phone. When you're sitting far away on a couch, you can't tell the difference in screen quality between a smaller and bigger screen. But when a phone is a foot away from your face, you can tell the difference between a smaller and larger screen with the same pixel count.

Talk about ignorance...

KohPhiPhi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2011
I personally think that the iPhone 4 had the perfect size and the ergonomics. That is why I didnt upgrade to iPhone5: I do *not* want a bigger phone.

I find Galaxy's S3 and Note absurdly huge to carry in my pocket. Let's not forget that a smartphone should be, at its core, a freaking mobile phone and not a tablet! Who wants to carry 5 inch worth of stuff in your jeans pocket every day?!

Stack Overflow

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2012
What's the difference between ignoring one's specific words and taking a point completely out of context rather than not doing so? Are you serious?
Funny you should complain about that, while doing that very thing. So, only you get to look at the broader implications of what someone says, but no one else is allowed to?

No wonder you think you're so right about this!

All I did was point out something that calls into question the logic you applied. What's different about an iPad mini that means it can go non-retina while an iPhone Plus can't.

But instead of ever even once addressing it, you just wave your hands and attack me.

You clearly sound like you are an intelligent individual, but I honestly can't take anything else you've written seriously. I don't mean to disrespect you, but I didn't finish reading your post and probably won't do so.
In other words, "I don't mean to disrespect you, but I don't respect you". And, "even though I didn't read your whole comment, I'm going to tell you why you are wrong."

So I'm going to give you the same respect, and end it here. I haven't read another word of your reply, and won't read any more of your replies to this going forward. No disrespect or anything!

bnessasusual

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2013
If Apple can't rethinking what a smartphone can do. If Apple can't innovate. They should at least be able to be market leader. By doing what they always done best. Exceeding the market in battery life, having the best screen, ext. With the iphone plus. apple should forget aboUt pricing just as they did with the firSt iphoNe. People were buying iphone without price concerning them so much because it was the total best solution by far. Even when the iphone was unsubsidise By the carriers people were paying up front for iphone. The iphone plus shouldn't be less then $799.00us for the starting model with 32GB. $899 for the 64GB and $999 for the 128GB models. remembering that now apple will really cover all growing markets with the rumored mid rage iphoNe at starting at $399us. The regular iphone at $599us and the now new untop market witch share holders will be please to hear about cause there is more profit being made per unit sold at $799 the ultra premium market categorty with the iphone plus. Please let me know what u think thank u

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
If Apple can't rethinking what a smartphone can do. If Apple can't innovate. They should at least be able to be market leader. By doing what they always done best. Exceeding the market in battery life, having the best screen, ext. With the iphone plus. apple should forget aboUt pricing just as they did with the firSt iphoNe. People were buying iphone without price concerning them so much because it was the total best solution by far. Even when the iphone was unsubsidise By the carriers people were paying up front for iphone. The iphone plus shouldn't be less then $799.00us for the starting model with 32GB. $899 for the 64GB and $999 for the 128GB models. remembering that now apple will really cover all growing markets with the rumored mid rage iphoNe at starting at $399us. The regular iphone at $599us and the now new untop market witch share holders will be please to hear about cause there is more profit being made per unit sold at $799 the ultra premium market categorty with the iphone plus. Please let me know what u think thank u

Highway robbery pricing by Apple is not a positive quality.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
iPad mini?

You don't understand, Apple is under two constraints. Screen technology, and a desire to keep developer fragmentation issues to a minimum. That's why the iPad mini is the resolution and diagonal size that it is. It was dictated by those factors.

Screen tech I agree fully, but not developers fragmentation. Well sort of, but what is the acceptable range of "to a minimum"?

Autolayout was added almost 12 months ago, and 24 on the mac. So developers have had that long to knowing that Apple as much as they talked up other advantages the main reason for Autolayout was to free iOS of it's resolution constraint. I can't see a new screen res. before iOS7 but I think all Dev's should have in mind that after that it's far game. iPad full size would be the prime candidate but so would a larger iPhone.

If anything Apple want a stick to keep developers updating, as well, as carrots.

Suede2013

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013

Actually, I wondered that there not more complains about the design of the ip5. The proportions are really awful! First time I saw a white one, I was really :eek: and beside of watching videos I do not see the benefit of that ratio. I really hope that they will return to the old ratio

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Actually, I wondered that there not more complains about the design of the ip5. The proportions are really awful!
A large contingent of Apple followers complain and protest very loudly anytime rumors surface. Like the incredibly massive number of naysayers did upon rumors surfacing about the iPad mini.

Then once announced, they flip to the opposite extreme & claim world class superiority. It's the proven hypocrisy model. Unique to Apple worshipers.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Rig the iPad Mini 2 to take calls. Biggest phone since the first cell phone. Splits the difference between tablet tasks and phone tasks.

Also brilliant size to push video conference calling on the go.

Judge market reaction. No real loss to Apple if no one bites. Pushes on cellphone carries to stop being picky about what can and cannot make voice calls.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
IMO, a larger screen might make sense, if developers are willing to hop on board and redesign their apps (again) to take advantage of all that extra screen space.

IE: apps' UI is something of a mix between phone and tablet UI, rather than just being blown up. Flipboard shows more articles per page, keyboard is shorter so I can see more of my screen when typing.

This would actually offer users something over and above what android phones are currently enjoying. :)

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
If apple decided to go with a 2272x1280 res , app devs wouldn't have to do that.

It would be like the reg ipad (and mini) and the retina ipad.

If HTC is capable of releasing a 4,7 inch 1920x1080p display in the m7. Apple should be able to get 4,9 inch displays with the 2272x1280 res.

I don' t get some of the discussions over here. I think it would be wise for apple to release a larger iPhone
If you don' t want one you can buy the reg sized iPhone . It would certainly give more options.

But:

Instead of releasing a larger iPhone , apple could release a larger iPod touch of 5 to 6 inches. That syncs/connects with your iPhone , showing notifications, messages, whatsapps, can acces storage/apps from your iPhone, sort of a second screen for your iPhone .

If that sells well, apple could consider releasing a iPhone+. But I like the modular idea, a lot...

If apple could revamp IOS , and add more integration between several IOS devices , it would be ideal. The only integration between iOS devices right now is through photo stream , iCloud and between ipad/iPod/iPhone and Apple TV (AirPlay) and is over software and wifi instead of a dedicated hw link. That is far too limited.
It would be a great advantage over android, that wouldn't t be able to get this too work or will encounter problems because of the diversity and different hw , specs, etc of all the manufacturers.
This would be real innovation, which will give more flexibility to apple products than competitors. They should do it before Microsoft wakes up.

Last edited:

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
There is obviously strong public demand for a physically larger phone than the current iPhone.

A larger phone instead or or in addition to is inevitable.

Hephaestus

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
If anything is done with the "proportions" it will be a smaller top and bottom bezel.. I don't see them widening the actual screen from 16:9 and making yet another unusual aspect ratio.

I do enjoy how you label everyone who doesn't share your opinion as being in "denial" :)

No it won't, why would it have a smaller top and bottom bezel? All they need to do is widen the dimensions a little to stop it from being so ridiculously narrow.

When you screenshot the iPhone 5 and put the image next to an iPhone 4 screenshot, it is clear as day that the image is far too narrow. I have never seen a display that looks so out of proportion, so yes.. suggesting otherwise is denial.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
There is obviously strong public demand for a physically larger phone than the current iPhone.

A larger phone instead or or in addition to is inevitable.

I agree. It has been established that there is a growing demand for oversized phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.