Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackwills

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
New York, NY
For my iPhone 5, I believe its $325, less $10 for each full month of Service Commitment completed.
I had completed 2 months. So that would be $305..
I know that I will have to pay for the remaining bill charges too, plus taxes
So I assume that $400 will be enough for me to get out of the contract without returning my iPhone 5 to AT&T? I dont have to pay for my device right?
Anyone here tired to cancel your AT&T contract? I want to know if AT&T will charge any other fees like service charges...etc and estimate around how much would it cost to cancel my iPhone 5 contract.:eek:
Thank you!
I am planing to switch to straighttalk $45 unlimited plan though!

Last edited:

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i would call and ask. that means you got an iphone 5 for alot less than its actual cost, even with the termination fee. i think they still may charge a prorated fee for the device. i would read their terms and agreements regarding the termination fee and read the fine print. im sure theres something that states if you cancel, lets say under 6 months - 1 year, you still may get hit for the phone. best thing to do is call and ask. they are the only ones that will be able to provide you with correct numbers and answers.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
No you dont have to pay for the phone. 305 should be correct for the ETF. You pay a month in advance so you should have already paid for the current month so the last bill would be just the ETF plus taxes. They will cancel it effective at the end of your billing cycle so you won't get any refunds on your last bill.

jackwills

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
New York, NY
i would call and ask. that means you got an iphone 5 for alot less than its actual cost, even with the termination fee. i think they still may charge a prorated fee for the device. i would read their terms and agreements regarding the termination fee and read the fine print. im sure theres something that states if you cancel, lets say under 6 months - 1 year, you still may get hit for the phone. best thing to do is call and ask. they are the only ones that will be able to provide you with correct numbers and answers.

I already did asked a representative on online chat, she said all I will have to pay will be $305 + $remaining bill charge + taxes. Also she said I do not need to return the iPhone cause its over 14 days period. I feel like I saved a little bit on it cause it dont really cost a lot. So that I am asking here and try to make sure.
Actually I already spent $199 for the iPhone 5 + $60 x2 for the 2 months bills

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
For my iPhone 5, I believe its $325, less $10 for each full month of Service Commitment completed.
I had completed 2 months. So that would be $305..
I know that I will have to pay for the remaining bill charges too, plus taxes
So I assume that $400 will be enough for me to get out of the contract without returning my iPhone 5 to AT&T? I dont have to pay for my device right?
Anyone here tired to cancel your AT&T contract? I want to know if AT&T will charge any other fees like service charges...etc and estimate around how much would it cost to cancel my iPhone 5 contract.:eek:
Thank you!

Save yourself time. One call to AT&T and they'll be happy to inform you.

If you believe they'll let you keep the phone, think again. :D

jackwills

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
New York, NY

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012

I used to work there is how I know. They used to charge 175 for the ETF but after the iPhone came out so people wouldn't use this to get the phone cheaper. By the time you pay the activation fee, ETF, 1 month service and the price of the phone it's not much cheaper than buying outright.

----------

Thats the answer that I got from the representative.. But I still want to make sure there aint any hidden charges, like extra fees if I want to keep the phone or anything else...

Nope, no extra fees

jackwills

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
New York, NY
I used to work there is how I know. They used to charge 175 for the ETF but after the iPhone came out so people wouldn't use this to get the phone cheaper. By the time you pay the activation fee, ETF, 1 month service and the price of the phone it's not much cheaper than buying outright.

----------

Nope, no extra fees

So I guess $400 would be good enough to let me get out of the contract..?

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
So I guess $400 would be good enough to let me get out of the contract..?

Should be plenty because you shouldn't have any service charges. The last bill you got was for the service for this month so you should just have the ETF on the last bill. That's why the first bill is always higher because you pay in advance for the service. The only way it would be more is if you went over on data or minutes.

Edit: just want to add that if you try to do this again at&t will catch on and charge a hefty deposit to start new service so you can't keep getting phones and canceling service.

jackwills

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
New York, NY
Should be plenty because you shouldn't have any service charges. The last bill you got was for the service for this month so you should just have the ETF on the last bill. That's why the first bill is always higher because you pay in advance for the service. The only way it would be more is if you went over on data or minutes.

Edit: just want to add that if you try to do this again at&t will catch on and charge a hefty deposit to start new service so you can't keep getting phones and canceling service.

Perfect if I can end it with below $400! I am not gonna do that again! The reason why I am doing that is because recently I found out straighttalk would cost less and they have more reasonable price.
Also, would this action make any effects on my credit scores?

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Perfect if I can end it with below $400! I am not gonna do that again! The reason why I am doing that is because recently I found out straighttalk would cost less and they have more reasonable price.
Also, would this action make any effects on my credit scores?

Now that I'm not sure of. I wouldn't think so as long as you paid the final bill but I don't want to tell you something and end up being wrong. I would ask AT&T that one. I did a quick search but found different answers.

thehumorpolice

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
If you are a postpaid customer you will have to pay for the remainder of the monthly bill cycle you are in. So port your number out a few days before the current cycle ends. So, your charges will be the ETF and 1 months bill (the final one). This will not hurt your credit one bit as you will have fulfilled your contract. This info is correct for all carriers. I have cancel several contracts this way.

Last edited:

jackwills

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
New York, NY
Now that I'm not sure of. I wouldn't think so as long as you paid the final bill but I don't want to tell you something and end up being wrong. I would ask AT&T that one. I did a quick search but found different answers.

I did some research on it too. Most of the people say it wouldnt ruin my credit as long as I pay off all the charges!
Thanks though!!

----------

If you are a postpaid customer you will have to pay for the remainder of the monthly bill cycle you are in. So port your number out a few days before the current cycle ends. So, your charges will be the ETF and 1 months bill (the final one). This will not hurt your credit one bit as you will have fulfilled your contract. This info is correct for all carriers. I have cancel several contracts this way.

Thats good!:rolleyes:Thanks a lot! I might go ahead and cancel the contract shortly!

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
I already did asked a representative on online chat, she said all I will have to pay will be $305 + $remaining bill charge + taxes. Also she said I do not need to return the iPhone cause its over 14 days period. I feel like I saved a little bit on it cause it dont really cost a lot. So that I am asking here and try to make sure.
Actually I already spent $199 for the iPhone 5 + $60 x2 for the 2 months bills

If you're only spending $60/month now, you're not saving much by switching to Straight Talk. AT&T is letting you spread that $305 out across another 22 months @ ~$14/month. The remainder of the AT&T bill is only $46/month.

jackwills

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
New York, NY
If you're only spending $60/month now, you're not saving much by switching to Straight Talk. AT&T is letting you spread that $305 out across another 22 months @ ~$14/month. The remainder of the AT&T bill is only $46/month.

Spending around $60 monthly now for service: 450 mins & 200mb data, if I switch to straighttalk $45 monthly for service: unlimited mins and data (some people said is not truly unlimited data but 2 GB) Plus I will be out of the country for 3 months this coming summer...So I think switching would be the best solution for me:rolleyes:

thehumorpolice

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
Thats good!:rolleyes:Thanks a lot! I might go ahead and cancel the contract shortly!

If you want to keep your number you cannot cancel the contract first. you have to have ST port your number and ATT will cancel the contract automatically. Please be aware that ST has a data cap of 2GB and streaming youtube is against their usage policy and they will throttle you for that no matter how much data you've used. I talked a friend into switching over and they have throttled him twice in two months for streaming youtube. You can get them to do an "account refresh" which will reset your speeds but you have to know what to say. I'm not sure how much longer that'll work though.

jackwills

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
New York, NY
If you want to keep your number you cannot cancel the contract first. you have to have ST port your number and ATT will cancel the contract automatically. Please be aware that ST has a data cap of 2GB and streaming youtube is against their usage policy and they will throttle you for that no matter how much data you've used. I talked a friend into switching over and they have throttled him twice in two months for streaming youtube. You can get them to do an "account refresh" which will reset your speeds but you have to know what to say. I'm not sure how much longer that'll work though.

Yes..I heard of that the ST unlimited data is not truly unlimited but 2GB, I cant stream youtube vids? That would be fine for me, Most of the time I only surf, facebook and instagram. Now I have 200 MB a month is not quite enough.
Can I only change the area code of my number if I moved to other state?

forcetactic

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Your ETF after taxes and such will probably got to ~$355ish but that's still within your $400 limit. They also tend to bill you for the remainder of the monthly cycle so make sure you can pay that off as well

thehumorpolice

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
I'm not sure about changing the area code. I just know you will lose your current number if you cancel the contract instead of porting your number out.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Spending around $60 monthly now for service: 450 mins & 200mb data, if I switch to straighttalk $45 monthly for service: unlimited mins and data (some people said is not truly unlimited data but 2 GB) Plus I will be out of the country for 3 months this coming summer...So I think switching would be the best solution for me:rolleyes:

Yeah, Straight Talk is a better move then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.