Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
At iclarified i only found the ipsw for the iphone 5 gsm for at&t. I have the factory unlocked iphone 5, should i use the one for at&t?

elaniemay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2011
California, USA
I had planned to jail break for the first time tomorrow. I updated to 6.1 OTA because I always do and didn't know that was not advised. I do not want to restore because I had not backed up in a while and do not want to go back that far. Can I still jail break my phone?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I had planned to jail break for the first time tomorrow. I updated to 6.1 OTA because I always do and didn't know that was not advised. I do not want to restore because I had not backed up in a while and do not want to go back that far. Can I still jail break my phone?

You can plug it to iTunes. Do a backup and then hit restore.
When its done you can then restore from backup and everything will be exactly the same.

----------

At iclarified i only found the ipsw for the iphone 5 gsm for at&t. I have the factory unlocked iphone 5, should i use the one for at&t?

Yes it's the same. You need the gsm one.
Not the gsm+CDMA ipsw.

----------

sorry. one dumb question. where is the link for JB 6.1 ?

It's not released yet.

anthonyfellows

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
?

I don't get it. If Apple releases 6.1.1 days after the jailbreak and you have a jailbroken device, why not just choose not to install the update? I've never known an update to be forced.

anthonyfellows

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Correct.
No one is forced to upgrade their firmware.
But we always get some that "accidentally" upgrade their firmware:)

Okay ... That clears things up. I just couldn't figure out the point in saving blobs. I've never accidentally upgraded the firmware on anything ... Phone or anything else ... LOL.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
Okay ... That clears things up. I just couldn't figure out the point in saving blobs. I've never accidentally upgraded the firmware on anything ... Phone or anything else ... LOL.

I hear you, me neither. There's always some when a new firmware comes out that claim they plugged in their iphone to itunes and it automaticly did it without them knowing and other crazy stories:D
Its good to have the blobs there in case in the future we can use them to restore to older firmware that we have blobs for.

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
I don't get it. If Apple releases 6.1.1 days after the jailbreak and you have a jailbroken device, why not just choose not to install the update? I've never known an update to be forced.

Yeah but what happens if you have an issue with your device and your only option is to do a restore, you will be forced to have the latest firmware unless there becomes a way to downgrade with your blobs

liVec

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
Hello,
I have experienced a problem during the process, every time I run redsn0w and try to save the blobs, it quits unexpectedly. When I try to select the IPSW manually, it says it's not supported with the current redsn0w version... Any ideas? redsn0w_mac_0.9.15b3 is the one I am using.

Thanks in advance!

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Hello,
I have experienced a problem during the process, every time I run redsn0w and try to save the blobs, it quits unexpectedly. When I try to select the IPSW manually, it says it's not supported with the current redsn0w version... Any ideas? redsn0w_mac_0.9.15b3 is the one I am using.

Thanks in advance!

What device?

use TinyUmbrella to save SHSH's

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Who cares if you can use them to downgrade? Just don't upgrade. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't get this.

Maybe you're jailbroken on 6.1 and apple releases 6.1.1, where there will never be a jailbreak. 5 days later you install a tweak from cydia that puts you into a boot loop and forces you to restore to 6.1.1.

What now?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Maybe you're jailbroken on 6.1 and apple releases 6.1.1, where there will never be a jailbreak. 5 days later you install a tweak from cydia that puts you into a boot loop and forces you to restore to 6.1.1.

What now?

Use safe-mode to uninstall the tweak, wotks for almost all bad apps

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Use safe-mode to uninstall the tweak, wotks for almost all bad apps

'Almost'

All i'm really saying is that it's worth the time to do a full restore so that, even if it's a freak occurence, you are able to restore to a jailbreakable firmware.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Something I'm not clear on and I've never found a satisfactory answer (please note I haven't started a new thread :) - I've jb before, but this is the first time I've saved blobs (6.1). Should I ever need to restore to 6.1 & jb again, what I do I do with these blobs? I know what they're for, but what procedure will I need to go through to restore to 6.1 & jb should I need too once 6.1.1 or whatever is released?

Btw, successfully jailbroke my 5 earlier, just drumming my fingers waiting for Cydia to die down - I didn't get a single tweak, boo hiss :(

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
Something I'm not clear on and I've never found a satisfactory answer (please note I haven't started a new thread :) - I've jb before, but this is the first time I've saved blobs (6.1). Should I ever need to restore to 6.1 & jb again, what I do I do with these blobs? I know what they're for, but what procedure will I need to go through to restore to 6.1 & jb should I need too once 6.1.1 or whatever is released?

Btw, successfully jailbroke my 5 earlier, just drumming my fingers waiting for Cydia to die down - I didn't get a single tweak, boo hiss :(

We don't know yet.
They haven't released a tool that will use them and let you restore using those blobs yet. Hope in the near future. For now we at least know they are there saved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.