Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobbydglop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
I just installed windows 8 in my 2008 iMac, and when I start up the computer, it defaults to windows. That problem is that the window on the new default partition is corrupted, and prompts me to restart to fix it, which simply brings me back to the same corrupted startup. I managed to eject the install disk by holding down the mouse button, but I can't seem to be able to use anything else. I've tried holding down a bunch of different key combos on start up, such as cmd+opt+shift+del+disk id(ie: 1).

Is there anything else I could try before using another external boot drive to restore?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
When booting up the iMac, as soon as you hear the "Bong" chime, hit and hold the "Alt + Option" key. It will give you the option to boot into either Windows or OS X.

Go into OS X and then redo the Windows installation process.

bobbydglop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
still boots into windows

none of the startup hotkeys seems to work except for holding down the mouse button, which I did to eject the disk, which didn't work to stop the boot loop.

bobbydglop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
So I found my snow leopard install disk, and tried booting with that in. I also tries holding down C to force cd boot, but the computer insists on booting from the broken windows partition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.