Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sphumi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
I am strongly considering getting an iPad mini, but I am not sure if I should get it now or wait. The only thing that I am afraid of is that there will be a March mini release. Another thing that worries me is that a retina iPad comes out in the fall, and me feeling stuck with a mini. So should I just wait? I would buy a mini now, as I don't use my iPad 3 too much due to its size and semi-slowness. But idk if I should wait...

Also, while I am sure that I want a mini, many think I am crazy because I already have a 3 with a retina display. I like my iPad 3, and as I own a 2009 15 inch MBP, weight has never been too much of factor. However, recently I have started to like smaller forms better, and am definitely getting an air for my next MB purchase. But since I don't mind the weight of my 15 inch MBP, I feel like its silly to go mini based on weight. Or no? I do like being able to hold it with one hand though...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I am strongly considering getting an iPad mini, but I am not sure if I should get it now or wait. The only thing that I am afraid of is that there will be a March mini release. Another thing that worries me is that a retina iPad comes out in the fall, and me feeling stuck with a mini. So should I just wait? I would buy a mini now, as I don't use my iPad 3 too much due to its size and semi-slowness. But idk if I should wait...

Also, while I am sure that I want a mini, many think I am crazy because I already have a 3 with a retina display. I like my iPad 3, and as I own a 2009 15 inch MBP, weight has never been too much of factor. However, recently I have started to like smaller forms better, and am definitely getting an air for my next MB purchase. But since I don't mind the weight of my 15 inch MBP, I feel like its silly to go mini based on weight. Or no? I do like being able to hold it with one hand though...

There will not be a march release.

The iPad mini is still flying off shelves.

The iPad 4 just received a storage increase option (well this coming week wil receive a storage increase option).

The iPad mini & iPad refresh will not happen until Fall (Q3/4) 2013

As for wanting iPad 3 or side grade to a mini, then you just need to weigh up whether less weight and comfort in one handed holding, is worth losing some $$ side-grading to the mini, and losing the retina screen.

Personally I went from an iPad 3 to a mini and have no regrets. At the end of the day it's up to you. Go to a store and try one out. No-one here can answer you definitively because 1) we are not you 2) opinions are subjective.

Got to a store, try it out and see for yourself.

If retina and improved cpu are important wait till Fall and trade / sell your ipad 3 then and buy a retina mini then..

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you want one now, buy one now. If they do produce a retina iPad mini in march, sell what you have and buy that one.

My personal opinion on this, is that March is too soon. Sales are great, they just released it and we've not seen any "leaked" blurry pictures taken by suppliers like we typically do.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I bought mine, knowing it would be a compromise with the low resolution display Apple chose to ship it with. Nonetheless I wasn't willing to wait. I'm enjoying it for what it is, and plan to replace it with the upcoming retina version upon its release.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Ive been enjoying my iPad mini since December while you sit there and wait....which sounds like the better decision to you?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
The answer to this and all other future "shall I buy X or wait" questions is:

If it does what you want it to right now then buy it, otherwise wait or get something else that does do what you want.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
The answer to this and all other future "shall I buy X or wait" questions is:

If it does what you want it to right now then buy it, otherwise wait or get something else that does do what you want.

Can I quote you and put you as my signature?

Honestly for years I have never understood this question on any forum. If you are someone 1. who enjoys the latest and greatest then you need to come to that realization and accept the fact that your future will always be expensive. 2. If you are someone who doesn't care for the latest and greatest and have the budget for it now, you need to just accept the fact that you want a product and are content with what it offers and stop asking for someone to talk you out of it. Go buy it now.

P.S.
I'm about to go to Sacramento to Ikea and its currently 9:32am and want coffee. I just woke up but noon is only a few hours away, should I get decaf coffee or just go full caffeine?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate any feedback.

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
I have an iPad 3 w/retina and I just bought a Mini a couple of weeks ago. How much do I like the Mini? Answer: I'm going to sell the iPad 3. To me, the screen difference between retina and the Mini non-retina is overblown. There is a little difference in sharpness when comparing them side-by-side. But the Mini display is perfectly usable for me, and I can read even the smallest text. Photos, graphics, and games look great on the Mini. I totally forgot about the non-retina screen after about 10 minutes of use. The small, thin size and light weight of the Mini totally trumps any difference in the displays. I'm not even sure that I'll buy a Mini 2 w/retina whenever they come out (which won't be in March), because I can read and see everything just fine on mine.

So- go for the Mini now. You won't be sorry.

Eadfrith

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Lindisfarena
I have an iPad 3 w/retina and I just bought a Mini a couple of weeks ago. How much do I like the Mini? Answer: I'm going to sell the iPad 3. To me, the screen difference between retina and the Mini non-retina is overblown. There is a little difference in sharpness when comparing them side-by-side. But the Mini display is perfectly usable for me, and I can read even the smallest text. Photos, graphics, and games look great on the Mini. I totally forgot about the non-retina screen after about 10 minutes of use. The small, thin size and light weight of the Mini totally trumps any difference in the displays. I'm not even sure that I'll buy a Mini 2 w/retina whenever they come out (which won't be in March), because I can read and see everything just fine on mine.

When I played with both ipad mini and full size ipad in the shops, the full size iPad with the large bezel reminded me of that big chunky first generation iMac compared to the newer ones :eek:

evoixdan

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
Ive been enjoying my iPad mini since December while you sit there and wait....which sounds like the better decision to you?

Depends if he can tolerate the horrible screen. Wouldn't you agree? I owned one for 2 weeks and returned it for a 4.

The entire point of the ipad these days was the retina screen. To go backwards on a "mini" was a slap in the face, especially with the 330 dollar price tag. There is simply no denying this was a way to maximize profits for Apple.

Sometimes Apple fanboys need to step back and look at the bigger picture here. If the iPad mini had flopped and we see the exact opposite sales figures we do now for the mini, Apple probably would have rolled out the next generation a lot sooner; hopefully with specs that should be standard for 2013.

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
Depends if he can tolerate the horrible screen. Wouldn't you agree? I owned one for 2 weeks and returned it for a 4.

The entire point of the ipad these days was the retina screen. To go backwards on a "mini" was a slap in the face, especially with the 330 dollar price tag. There is simply no denying this was a way to maximize profits for Apple.

Sometimes Apple fanboys need to step back and look at the bigger picture here. If the iPad mini had flopped and we see the exact opposite sales figures we do now for the mini, Apple probably would have rolled out the next generation a lot sooner; hopefully with specs that should be standard for 2013.

ok, i guess the millions of people that are buying this as fast as they can make it are wrong

evoixdan

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
ok, i guess the millions of people that are buying this as fast as they can make it are wrong

No, some people just like to spend money and apple has enough fanboys now where they can get away with these type of tactics.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006

Feel better? You've just declared millions of people to be idiots for their decision to buy (and like!) their iPad mini.

For the record: 1) I don't agree, 2) it wasn't a slap in the face, 3) there is a simply denying your claim - your opinions and speculations you state as if they are facts, and that's just silly and the thing I find most annoying is that I'm a mini owner, from day 1, and happy, happy, happy with it (and that's not the drugs speaking!<wry grin>) - I'm not a moron, I'm not an idiot, I know the screen isn't retina (but my iPhone 5 is!) and I don't care, that's not what defines the mini - the form factor does, and the myriad apps that were available to run on it day one, perfectly.

The mini didn't flop, Apple did it just right, and what's great is that when it does go retina, it'll go retina in the svelte mini form factor, not some fatter, heavier chassis that doesn't provide the same user experience that the mini does. And when the full sized iPad (version 5 hopefully) gets the "mini treatment" just remember where that "mini treatment" came from. ;)

And don't get me started about this stupid "Apple fanboy" crap.

Piccio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
Buy it now it's a great device.

Mini 2 probably will not tbe released untill next Fall, so it's a lot of time.

bubbagumpshrimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008

My experience was actually the opposite :/ I just returned my Mini yesterday and decided to stick with the iPad 3 until the iPad 5 or retina mini comes out (hopping the iPad 5 takes on the form of the mini). After going back and forth, this is how it went down for me.

What I loved:

Wow! The mini design and lightness is awesome. This is how a tablet should feel in the hands! Every time I picked up my ipad 3 after using the mini It felt rather uncomfortable.

What I didn't like (why I returned it.):

uh.. The screen really isn't great.. Especially how it renders text zoomed out. Others are correct that the screen isnt horrible but its not great either. It reminded me of when I picked up my iphone 3gs after buying the iphone 4. Perhaps its because all of my devices are retina (retina macbook pro, ipad 3 and iphone 5). I kept telling myself it wasn't that bad and that the lightness made up for what it lacked visually but it didn't work.. Every time I would switch back to the iPad 3 I was instantly reminded of what I wanted the screen to be, especially because the mini was a smaller screen.

In short, I liked the mini but it wasn't for me.. yet. But I should mention the mini also made me think less of my ipad 3's bulk. My plan is to wait for the iPad 5 in hopes that it gets the same form factor as the mini (as rumored). If the iPad 5 doesn't deliver, I'll grab the retina mini. ;)

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I don't think that there will be an update to the mini in March. That said, even if there is and you purchase now, your mini will still work.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't think that there will be an update to the mini in March. That said, even if there is and you purchase now, your mini will still work.

The other factor to consider with a potential refresh of the mini line and using retina, is the price. Will the price increase, on a tablet that is already on the high end price point

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010
The other factor to consider with a potential refresh of the mini line and using retina, is the price. Will the price increase, on a tablet that is already on the high end price point

What happened to the ipad pricing? When it went retina did it stay the same?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.