Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j05h

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Phone unlocking ban could hit you in the wallet
As of Saturday, your options for owning an unlocked phone become far more limited. You can ask your carrier to unlock it—and good luck with that—or you can pay a premium to manufacturers like Apple or Google for a new unlocked phone. You just can’t unlock your phone yourself—at least, not legally.

That decision was made not by voters, the courts, or even Congress. It was made by one man, 83-year-old Congressional Librarian James Hadley Billington, who is responsible for interpreting the meaning of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Billington decided last October that unlocking your phone yourself is a violation of the Act, which was originally written to prevent digital piracy.

What You Can Do About the Phone Unlocking Fiasco

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Lol this stops nobody from unlocking. It's as easy to regulate as torrenting. If you're stupid with it, you'll be found out. If you're smart, nobody knows.

j05h

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Where you been? Under a rock! Old news!

I'm really hoping the white house petition about phone unlocking gets 100,000 signatures. I posted links to the petition earlier this week but my posts were deleted. Posting links to petitions is against the rules here.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I'm really hoping the white house petition about phone unlocking gets 100,000 signatures. I posted links to the petition earlier this week but my posts were deleted. Posting links to petitions is against the rules here.

Could you PM it to me? I'll sign. DMCA needs to go.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I think you are interpreting the situation completely wrong.

Fact is that unlocking a phone yourself will be a DMCA violation. Fact is also that it is absolutely fine to want an unlocked phone. Three years ago, it was very hard to get an unlocked phone without unlocking it yourself; that's why there was a specific exemption made that you are allowed to unlock your phone yourself, even though that was a DMCA violation.

The change is that there are so many unlocked phones available that an exemption to the DMCA law isn't necessary anymore. Instead of arguing that this kind of DMCA violation should be allowed, you should request that any service provider should be required to unlock your phone for you if you demand it. Obviously since _you_ cannot legally unlock your phone yourself, but the service provider _can_ legally do it, they should be required to do so if you ask them.

Jusfer

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
USA Intermountain West
33,504 more signatures needed by Feb 28

Come on, folks, make this stupid law go away and kiss it good bye.
I only found out about it today (but I was one of the first to know that the pope will resign), and I just reduced the remaining needed signatures by one.

No fear about signing up for a petition account, it is a clean process to protect the legitimacy of petitions.

Jusfer

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
USA Intermountain West
This petition would get a lot more signatures if it didn't require creating an account.

Not only this petition. Any online petition.

If, after doing just a minimal amount of research, somebody is still not creating an account, something is wrong with that person. And that is exactly the (sad) reason why such a step is necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.