Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redfirebird08

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
Where on earth is 10.8.3
this shutdown issue for pushing a year is downright disgraceful.

Cleaned up my wife's MBP late 2011 this am; and shutdown took 2.5 min.
my MBA takes about 30 seconds, even when I fresh restart at the login screen.

damn I miss 10.6.8:mad:

It is pretty embarrassing. I have a 3 year old iMac running on a hard drive that shuts down much faster than my brand new Macbook Air running on SSD. Snow Leopard is a much better operating system as well. Not a fan of the look of Mountain Lion.

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
This could be fixed i think. After using Vmware for example i always had 8-10 GB just hanging doing nothing while system was using swap file, now i don't see it anymore.

How can the memory leaks be so terrible in 10.8.2. For a few hours now, sitting with a few browser pages open and came back, the system went from 4.82GB use, up to now 11.66GB use. Nothing intensive at all.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4360412?start=15&tstart=0

Under Lion and Snow Leopard, page outs never happened.

Last edited:

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.
How can the memory leaks be so terrible in 10.8.2. For a few hours now, sitting with a few browser pages open and came back, the system went from 4.82GB use, up to now 11.66GB use. Nothing intensive at all.

It is some kind of wide system memory leak. On. 10.8.2 i also see these spikes where idle system suddenly jumps from normal memory usage (depending how much memory there is) to eating almost all available memory. The best part is if you open Activity Monitor and arrange by memory use you won't see anything unusual. It could be that some system service is allocating that memory and reporting it as used or whatever then other apps seeing that there is no more RAM start writting to swap file.

But i haven't seen this since 10.8.3 beta 1.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec

Do you have any extensions installed for safari? Adblock used to cause crazy memory leaks. No more since I turned off extensions.

iTunes 11 has huge memory leaks as well. Forced to quit and reopen iTunes to free up ram.

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
Do you have any extensions installed for safari? Adblock used to cause crazy memory leaks. No more since I turned off extensions.

I do indeed but I need them. Same extensions that never gave me problems with the previous OS's.

iTunes 11 has huge memory leaks as well. Forced to quit and reopen iTunes to free up ram.

So sad. :/ It makes sense since it was rushed.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
It is pretty embarrassing. I have a 3 year old iMac running on a hard drive that shuts down much faster than my brand new Macbook Air running on SSD. Snow Leopard is a much better operating system as well. Not a fan of the look of Mountain Lion.

I was just updating Snow Leopard in my Mac Pro this morning. Even though I use ML in my Macs I pop the SL drive in every three weeks or so and grab email as well as perform any updates. Then I fiddle around a little.

I still really like SL, lots of Mac OS not much iToys OS.

redfirebird08

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
Just tested it and my 3 year old Snow Leopard iMac shuts down in 3-4 seconds. Brand new Mountain Lion Macbook Air takes around 20 seconds to shut down. That's just ridiculous since the Air has a lot better technology in it all the way around.

blatopilot

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
Just tested it and my 3 year old Snow Leopard iMac shuts down in 3-4 seconds. Brand new Mountain Lion Macbook Air takes around 20 seconds to shut down. That's just ridiculous since the Air has a lot better technology in it all the way around.

I had similar results in testing.

My sister's 13 inch 2009 MBP with Snow Leopard shuts down in 3-5 seconds. My 2011 15 inch MBP i7, with Lion or ML takes 4-5 times that.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
But seriously... If this issue isn't permanently fixed with Mac OS 10.8.3, I will have forever lost faith in Apple. This is getting ridiculous.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
But seriously... If this issue isn't permanently fixed with Mac OS 10.8.3, I will have forever lost faith in Apple. This is getting ridiculous.
I hear mixed reports form those with the latest beta. Honestly, I don't think some of them know what to look for.

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2012
mysqld and httpd were the culprit in my case

I was facing the same slow shutdown issue. Tried NVRAM reset, SMC, daemon timeout change etc, didnt work.

Used verbose mode and saw that httpd and mysqld were coming up a lot during shutdown.

I had a MAMP PRO setup running those daemons at startup. Disabled them from running at startup in MAMP PRO. And voila, problem solved!

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
I was facing the same slow shutdown issue. Tried NVRAM reset, SMC, daemon timeout change etc, didnt work.

Used verbose mode and saw that httpd and mysqld were coming up a lot during shutdown.

I had a MAMP PRO setup running those daemons at startup. Disabled them from running at startup in MAMP PRO. And voila, problem solved!

See you posted this twice now. So go back to other thread for a reply. Your attempt will probably fail as others have

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
fixed???- Nope

Strange thing occurred today.

I was building an OSX bootable USB for my wife's MBP as we are putting an SSD in it.

While I was testing my bootable USB after build on my MBA, I ran a Disk Utility for the heck of it. Verified the disk, and found errors on my SSD. This has never been the case, so I repaired the disk.

I shut down, and started as normal.
When I did a restart it was <2 sec.

Tested 3 times thus far and my shutdown appears to be as expected- fast.
Will report back in a few days after more testing.

Edit/add
No fix. Back to 20-30 second shutdown.
Seems even worse now. Screen goes grey then blue.
Wonderful. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Strange thing occurred today.

I was building an OSX bootable USB for my wife's MBP as we are putting an SSD in it.

While I was testing my bootable USB after build on my MBA, I ran a Disk Utility for the heck of it. Verified the disk, and found errors on my SSD. This has never been the case, so I repaired the disk.

I shut down, and started as normal.
When I did a restart it was <2 sec.

Tested 3 times thus far and my shutdown appears to be as expected- fast.
Will report back in a few days after more testing.

Did same with same results. Later it went back to 20 second shut down. These temp fixes are just that, temporary

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
I can't get over how long this has been on the go. Mountain Lion released on July 2012, here we are February 2013. Usually we're at 10.x.5/6 by now. Sometimes with the memory leaks and shutdown problems it feels like Apple really doesn't use OS X.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Finally with 12D68 reboot and shut down is almost instant on all machines i was able to test it.
Hopeful once again. There have been many "misfires" on this supposed fix in prior betas. (It works for a while, then shut down takes forever once again).

I for one really prefer a quick shutdown. I can't "sleep" between usage stops because I need every bit of juice over a 12 hour travel day. Just sleeping for a few hours sucks precious minutes from my battery. What a pain in the arse to get up from a table only to stand and wait for 30 seconds before closing the lid. :(

Please keep taking this "fix" through its paces and report back. :)

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.
Hopeful once again. There have been many "misfires" on this supposed fix in prior betas. (It works for a while, then shut down takes forever once again).

I for one really prefer a quick shutdown. I can't "sleep" between usage stops because I need every bit of juice over a 12 hour travel day. Just sleeping for a few hours sucks precious minutes from my battery. What a pain in the arse to get up from a table only to stand and wait for 30 seconds before closing the lid. :(

Indeed it was getting better on few betas, but just for a few random moments. At least in my cases it's now solid 3-4 seconds every time.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012

Macs don't work like Windows machines regarding shut down. As long as the grey screen is showing, you may close the lid and it will shut down instead of sleeping so you don't need to wait 30 seconds for it to shut down before closing the lid. Regardless, a 30 second shut down time is obviously not accepted.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
As long as the grey screen is showing, you may close the lid and it will shut down instead of sleeping so you don't need to wait 30 seconds for it to shut down before closing the lid.
I did not know this! :eek: I think I'm just paranoid from my Leopard days when I would "sleep" my machine only to find the damn fans whirring at 6000rpm the next day.

Besides... there's just something "final" about a nice black screen while closing the lid after a 3 second shutdown.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.