Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplesAOranges

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
I ordered a new iMac in the beginning of January. Now Apple is telling me I won´t get it until the end of February, which I doubt, ´cause they first told me I should have gotten it in two weeks, a blatant lie!

WTH is going on with Apple? Lying, failing promises and not being able to manufacture computers? Not even going to open the Mc Pro can of worms. Even getting iPhone 5 took month longer to get than what was promised.

It´s just unbelievable how poor job they are doing yet still being the 1. computer company. :confused:

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
Core Rot

You may enjoy this post at MPGhttp://macperformanceguide.com/AppleCoreRot-intro.html

I feel like Apple is making some poor choices. A feeling that does not resonate we'll with most fanboys, but any real long time fan boy should feel the same. 13 years ago I switched because Apple was innovating, but today the are just superficial money grabbers. When i watch apple videos about much time and effort went into a product that has 40% IR rate, you start to see the people in the videos as insincere. A truly thoughtful Apple would have updated their Mac Pro every 2 years, the new iMac would have its SD card slot on the side and retained a FW800 port, plus 4 more USB ports. Apple would be using high quality LCDs across their lines vs the LCD lottery. My gripes go on and on... But I'm not a writer and this thread should be about the imac. Check out the link above, he's a great writer and puts a lot of the serious issues into perspective.

large farva

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2013
Melbourne, FL
I ordered a new iMac in the beginning of January. Now Apple is telling me I won´t get it until the end of February, which I doubt, ´cause they first told me I should have gotten it in two weeks, a blatant lie!

WTH is going on with Apple? Lying, failing promises and not being able to manufacture computers? Not even going to open the Mc Pro can of worms. Even getting iPhone 5 took month longer to get than what was promised.

It´s just unbelievable how poor job they are doing yet still being the 1. computer company. :confused:

What happened to cause such a delay?

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012

Look at it this way, you don't have to buy from Apple but you do. Why? Because Apple is unique. A lot of other people are thinking like you and Apple is one company building the whole product for you vs competitors releasing one part each and having a generic local company or individual user build it themselves. There is going to be dramatic wait times the more popular Apple gets. You just got unlucky with the wait times since it is usually 1 month from order. Anyway hope you get it soon.

Thuc5dides

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2012
Surely you mean "WTF"?

I agree, my business has lost quite a bit of money waiting for our new edit suite to be installed, thanks Apple.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
Serious question but are resellers the only option for a lot of EU countries or something? I'd think it would be quicker to order directly from Apple, no?

Megaoctane

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2012
Norway
Apple has a online store in almost every country I believe. Many customers have a good track record with a reseller and wish to continue with the relationship.
Some are just visiting a reseller, and get carried persuaded by the salesperson, and order the machine.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
yeh i hate apple as a company now but i never buy a product of theres at release i do my homework on the computer ipod iphone or watever of theres im buying including software or os updates im always patient with this new look apple i lost allot of confidence in them somewhere mid 2010

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I ordered my 27" Dec 1st, took over 8 weeks to finally get an email that it's on it's way. Should see it next week, so more than 9 weeks.

Yes not good even for Apple and a new iMac. Wish I got it sooner but what can you do?

phobos

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
Serious question but are resellers the only option for a lot of EU countries or something? I'd think it would be quicker to order directly from Apple, no?

Unfortunately yes resellers are the only choice in some countries.
Which brings up a lot of problems in the process.
1) For example having to pay a big deposit before actually getting the machine (for BTO)
2) being very picky in hardware that needs replacement even though Apple would normally change it (even though that has changed a lot)
3) long wait times for a lot of the products. Let's just say this is not the first time I'll have to wait a month to get my machine. (Last time it was 1 1/2 month for the Mac Pro). I'm still waiting for a slightly customized MacBook Air ( more ram equals close to 2 weeks time as we speak)
4) prices that are out of this world. This is probably apples doing as well but third party peripherals priced sky high.
And the list goes on and on
For example I've seen in the forum a lot of people replacing their machine for the third time. This would probably never happen here....

jDW194

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2013
Canberra, Australia
It's shocking .... It's like the time I ordered a new BMW 5 series the same week it was launched, it took four months to arrive !!!!! Yeah they fed me some crap about having to build and assemble it to the spec I wanted then ship it to Australia, seriously I can't work out why they did not have enough stock, of every possible variation, for every customer ready at launch?

What a bunch of whack jobs can't believe they are one of the top car companies.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
It's shocking .... It's like the time I ordered a new BMW 5 series the same week it was launched, it took four months to arrive !!!!! Yeah they fed me some crap about having to build and assemble it to the spec I wanted then ship it to Australia, seriously I can't work out why they did not have enough stock, of every possible variation, for every customer ready at launch?

What a bunch of whack jobs can't believe they are one of the top car companies.

While your point is valid, name other mainstream PC manufactures that make you wait this long? The problem is Apple with its bleeding edge design has not nailed the supply side capabilities to meet demand.

That's a fail Apple needs to fix IMHO.

Stingray454

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
In europe, Apple seems to give (a lot of) priority to people ordering directly from the online apple store. I ordered one online in december and had it in 2 weeks. A friend ordered at the start of december through a reseller and still didn't recieve it. If you're getting a newly released Apple product, ALWAYS order directly from Apple or you're looking at 3-4 weeks longer delivery times.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I think beginning with March apple should delivery the imac in 2 weeks and with QA up to date

phobos

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
The online shipping time for the 27" in the UK has slipped to 4-6 weeks!

That's exciting news!!
So it seems I'll get mine in March (ordered on the 23rd of January)! woohoo!!

It seems that the built process is quite tricky. Hope we won't see any more problems than the ones mentioned here already!

Yeroon

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Clearly, manufacturing isn't at the level where it's supposed to be yet. I ordered December 6th (through a reseller) and still nothing...

Haswell is almost here now! :p

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
I'm amazed that these threads still get traction.

As the poster mentioned with his BMW order, BTO takes time and at this point, the news of Apple encountering production issues with the screen and tight supply constraints with the new iMac design--specifically the 27" model--it really is last months fish wrap.

You want some slapped-together piece of schlock? Go buy an HP or Dell at Worst Buy.

If you even thought seriously enough about getting a newly designed iMac, you shoulda got your order in during the first hours that they became available for pre-order.

I had approached the new iMac with the plan and expectation to order from a local B&M reseller . . . . when I saw a couple of forum posts in the wee hours of November 30th and their projected ship/delivery dates, my plans changed right then and there. I got mine on Dec 13th and it is perfect and beautiful.

Bite your tongue and know that it will be worth the wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.