Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryan Burgess

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
I recently bought an iPhone 5, and although I have no serious complaints I am getting tired of the OS and lack of cool features. Some of my friends have swapped their iPhones for the Note 2 and GS3 and love them. So here is my question, Anyone here who has switched? And are you happy you did?

I bought an S3 for $300 unlocked, and am going to use it alongside my iPhone 5 for a while, but I want to hear if anyone else has done the same.

Thanks! :D

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I have done the same. The iPhone 5 is superb, I wanted to see how a phone that I had read stutters, lags, crashes, has an awful screen, woeful apps, could not be used one handed, would not fit in my pocket and was made out of plastic would compare, it seems that what I read was somewhat wrong, the SGS3 is also superb and doesn't suffer from the aforementioned problems. I really enjoyed it, so much so that I kept it and sold my iPhone 5. Both devices are excellent. :)

Last edited:

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I didn't switch to an S3, but I did switch to another Android phone, I love it, I'd got tired of the same old OS since 2007. I like that Android is still so simple to use, but underneath the surface it let's you do more complicated things than iOS would permit you to do.

As for advice, approach it with a fresh mind, if you try everything like you were still in iOS you might get lost when things aren't where they would be. I've seen plenty of people fall into this trap because they were so used to doing our on their iPhone, they'd then declare that android wasn't as intuitive.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Longtime iPhone/iOS user/fan who now loves his Note 2 and will not return to an iPhone unless significant changes are made to both hardware and software, or forced at gunpoint. ;)

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
No its iPhone 5 >>>>>>>>>> Note 2 >>>> S3

At this point in the game, I don't consider the iPhone to even be in the top 5. My top 5 (in no particular order) goes like this:
1. Nexus 4
2. Galaxy S3
3. Note 2 (if the size doesn't bother you)
4. DNA
5. Optimus G

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
At this point in the game, I don't consider the iPhone to even be in the top 5. My top 5 (in no particular order) goes like this:
1. Nexus 4
2. Galaxy S3
4. DNA
5. Optimus G

No

It's:

1. iPhone 5
2. N/A
3. N/A
4. Galaxy Note 2
5. DNA

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I have done the same. The iPhone 5 is superb, I wanted to see how a phone that I had read stutters, lags, crashes, has an awful screen, woeful apps, could not be used one handed, would not fit in my pocket and was made out of plastic would compare, it seems that what I read was somewhat wrong, the SGS3 is also superb and doesn't suffer from the aforementioned problems. I really enjoyed it, so much so that I kept it and sold my iPhone 5. Both devices are excellent. :)

Agreed.

I struggle to reach the top left hand corner of the S3's screen without having to shift my grip when using it one handed (right handed), but it is usable for the most part.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
And you have used any of the recent android phones?

It is apparent he has not. I'd take any of the 5 I mentioned over the iPhone 5 in a heartbeat. What makes it so apparent he hasn't is how he laid out the 5 (with it mostly "n/a"). It shows he really doesn't know what he's talking about.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Agreed.

I struggle to reach the top left hand corner of the S3's screen without having to shift my grip when using it one handed (right handed), but it is usable for the most part.

The big thing is that you don't have to hit the top left corner often like you do in ios. The dedicated back button serves that functionality the majority of the time.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
1. Nexus 4
2. Galaxy S3
4. DNA
5. Optimus G

I would have to go
1.Galaxy S3
2.Galaxy Note II
3.huawei Asend D2
4.Huawei Assend Mate
5.Nokia Lumia 920

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC

Thanks for the laugh.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
The big thing is that you don't have to hit the top left corner often like you do in ios. The dedicated back button serves that functionality the majority of the time.

True. Probably the closest you usually get to that corner is dealing with notifications.

I would have to go
1.Galaxy S3
2.Galaxy Note II
3.huawei Asend D2
4.Huawei Assend Mate
5.Nokia Lumia 920

Mine would be:

1. iPhone 5.
2. Galaxy S3.
3. Galaxy S2.
4. HTC Sensation XL
5. HTC Desire.

Purely because they're the best ones I've used :p

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
They are both great phones. Try both. Stick to the one you like.

I switched to android. But I had a lot of technical problems with my phone, and there were a lot of apps I couldnt get anymore, and I missed the integration I had with my other devices, so I switched back to iOS.

Though I dont regret giving Android a try, everyone should try both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.