Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
But it runs extremely hot and fans are extremely loud at full speed.

Just because you can do something...doesn't always mean you should.

What are your thoughts? Is there any real danger in reducing the life of it by wringing its neck for hours at a time?

theineffablebob

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
Yup, there's no harm. Electronics have pretty high heat thresholds and they will automatically shut off before they reach a point where damage can be done.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
It wont be a harm for your computer since they automatically shutdown when over heated.
You do decrease the life of your fans though.
I dont really recommend playing BF3 on a MBP.
I would prefer a gaming PC or a console at least.

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
Elevate the back of your rMBP and if you're feeling a little more daring, replace the thermal paste for an extra ~5 C of cooling.

Quazimojo

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Auburn Hills,Mi
I play every PC game on my RMBP including BF3 and it is not even remotely hot.

I run Lubbos fan control and have the fan profiles set so the fans go full blast starting at 62 degrees.

If you let the machine handle the temps then it will run warmer since the machine will let the temps get dangerously hot before they feel the need to go full blast.

Also you can elevate the back of the machine to let some cool air under neath it .

I came from a M17xR4 with a GTX680m and i could not be happier gaming on my Retina base model. Unreal screen,weight and even temps are great.

Lastly you can disable turbo on your CPU to keep the temps down as well by setting the max CPU performance under power profiles in Windows to 95% this will shave off from 5-10 degrees from your CPU .

chelch

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2012
If he feels like voiding his warranty...

I don't think replacing the paste voids the warranty.

If you damage something or crack the board putting the screws back in you will void the warranty. But this is a very common practice and part of a good annual maintenance routine. It will be the first thing I do when I get my new rMBP.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I don't think replacing the paste voids the warranty.

If you damage something or crack the board putting the screws back in you will void the warranty. But this is a very common practice and part of a good annual maintenance routine. It will be the first thing I do when I get my new rMBP.

Yes it does.
That is a place where users should not touch.
Its technically voided, but if there is no damage done, they just dont notice.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
Look at the zalman laptop coolers. I would say essential for gaming on a MBP or rMBP :

http://www.zalman.com/eng/product/CategorySecond_Pic.php

Have you had 1st hand experience with the Zalman and the MBP? Honestly I'm curious because I have an Antec and it does nothing for the temps of my rMBP. I'm sure it has to do with the fan placement, size of fans, etc. My Antec does doesn't even drop the temp 2-3 degrees.

I really need a good recommendation for a cooling pad. Or is a stand that lifts the back of the NB good enough?

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
Have you had 1st hand experience with the Zalman and the MBP? Honestly I'm curious because I have an Antec and it does nothing for the temps of my rMBP. I'm sure it has to do with the fan placement, size of fans, etc. My Antec does doesn't even drop the temp 2-3 degrees.

I really need a good recommendation for a cooling pad. Or is a stand that lifts the back of the NB good enough?

Yes I have the ZM-NC3000S http://www.zalman.com/eng/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=398

I have never actually tried to test before and after temps. But the internal fans do spin down when I turn the zalman fan on (in normal non gaming use).

It has a huge 220mm fan, its quiet at 17-23db (fan speed adjustable) and most importantly the vents cover the entire bottom of the laptop. Vents towards the front of the laptop aren't any good for MBP as the heat is all at the back. The fan is usb powered so you don't need to carry an extra power brick.

You can use it with the fan off or on.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
Yes I have the ZM-NC3000S http://www.zalman.com/eng/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=398

I have never actually tried to test before and after temps. But the internal fans do spin down when I turn the zalman fan on (in normal non gaming use).

It has a huge 220mm fan, its quiet at 17-23db (fan speed adjustable) and most importantly the vents cover the entire bottom of the laptop. Vents towards the front of the laptop aren't any good for MBP as the heat is all at the back. The fan is usb powered so you don't need to carry an extra power brick.

You can use it with the fan off or on.

Looks really good! Thanks, I'm going to check it out. I especially like how the whole cooler elevates the base of the notebook from a desk, and the bottom is vented. Seems like a great design for MBPs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.