Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

childoftheko4n

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Hey All,

So i went ahead and got myself an airport extreme as i need a new router. I have an external 1TB drive plugged in, and am able to access while on the network with no problems via mac, iphone and ipad.

However i am having some difficulty in seeing a way to connect outside the network via iOS. At the moment (temporary setup, not my chocie) i have the following setup, which seems to give me a hard time connecting otuside via any device.

modem - linksys router - AEBs

I am awful with networking :confused:

rockarollr

Suspended
Apr 3, 2010
USA
Have you tried going into the settings of the Linksys router and turning off the hardware firewall? That could be blocking access to the hard drive from the Internet.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Other posters interpret "connect outside the network" as meaning that you'd like to get into your network and at the drive from outside -- from another location.

But I'm wondering if you don't mean "get outside," that is, connect to the internet.

If the Linksys is doing the routing (meaning, acting as the DHCP server and NAT) have you set the AE to "bridge" mode, so that it doesn't try to be a router/NAT itself?

When I made some changes to my Time-Warner account, they brought me a Ubee modem/router combo which (until I figured out how to place the Ubee into bridge mode) insisted on being the NAT and DHCP server, and the only way I could make my Time Capsule work was to switch it into bridge mode.

You say that it's not your choice, but does this mean you can't get rid of the Linksys?

Or can you at least temporarily take it out of the chain and go directly modem-->AE? If that works, then you know where the problem lies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.