Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Hi,

Can't seem to find a way to copy the url of an image in my dropbox folder to this forums, using "insert image"!? :confused:

Cheers

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2013-01-25 om 12.35.38.png
    Schermafbeelding 2013-01-25 om 12.35.38.png
    206.9 KB · Views: 828

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
What you did was attaching an image that was then uploaded to macrumors and is now stored on the macrumors server.

As far as I know Dropbox can not be used as an image store that lets you hotlink images to other sites.

PLEASE correct if I am wrong. (I think Photobucket can do that though)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
What you did was attaching an image that was then uploaded to macrumors and is now stored on the macrumors server.

As far as I know Dropbox can not be used as an image store that lets you hotlink images to other sites.

PLEASE correct if I am wrong. (I think Photobucket can do that though)

Yes you can use Dropbox to store images and then share them on other sites. I do this all the time here on MacRumors.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Yes you can use Dropbox to store images and then share them on other sites. I do this all the time here on MacRumors.

Hi All,

When I use the link-share from dropbox no image will be shown! @Sandbox, could you please share your workflow using DropBox? Thnx!!!

Cheers

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
Let me try it with a shared image....:

beijing.jpg

Update: seems not to work..... What's your trick?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Hi All,

When I use the link-share from dropbox no image will be shown! @Sandbox, could you please share your workflow using DropBox? Thnx!!!

Cheers

Let me try it with a shared image....:

Update: seems not to work..... What's your trick?

First you must use the Public folder in your Dropbox folder.

Screen%20Shot%202013-02-03%20at%207.35.45%20AM.png

Then on an image you want to share you right-click (or command + click) on it and in the contextual menu you will get a Dropbox menu and you select Copy Public Link.

Screen%20Shot%202013-02-03%20at%207.36.17%20AM.png

Then on the MacRumors forum, in the edit or create post tool bar you select the insert image button.

Screen%20Shot%202013-02-03%20at%207.36.33%20AM.png

Paste the URL of the image file from the public folder of Dropbox into the dialog box.

Screen%20Shot%202013-02-03%20at%207.37.16%20AM.png

Then the code appears in your post like this.

Screen%20Shot%202013-02-03%20at%207.37.23%20AM.png

Every one of these images I just posted are coming from my Dropbox folder.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Hi, in my DropBox folder I only have:

Camera Uploads
Photos

No public folder!

----------

EVGA_GTX670_FTW_PC_in_MACPRO.png

----------

Hi, in my DropBox folder I only have:

Camera Uploads
Photos

No public folder!

----------

Was my dropbox installed propperly?

BOOTCAMP%205_0.jpg

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2013-02-03 om 14.32.10.png
    Schermafbeelding 2013-02-03 om 14.32.10.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 581
Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm no longer at home now, so I will have to look into how I got that later. It's been a while since I setup Dropbox and I wonder if I did some kind of custom setting or something.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
[resolved!!!] ;-)

I'm no longer at home now, so I will have to look into how I got that later. It's been a while since I setup Dropbox and I wonder if I did some kind of custom setting or something.

Hi Sandbox,

Thanks for your support man! As usual this is a matter of RTFM! :cool: I had to get into my web-UCP and setup the public folder for using in DropBox!

BOOTCAMP%205_0.jpg

All works fine now!

Have a nice Sunday!!!

Cheers

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
No public sharing!

I'm reading through the Dropbox support forum and saw this thread. You might try updating your OS X Dropbox installation and/or uninstalling it and installing the latest version. You should get a Public folder in there. Also check out the thread I linked to.

----------

Hi Sandbox,

Thanks for your support man! As usual this is a matter of RTFM! :cool: I had to get into my web-UCP and setup the public folder for using in DropBox!

All works fine now!

Have a nice Sunday!!!

Cheers

Okay good, glad you got it working!

Leut

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013
I thought I had read the manual now correctly, and have setup a public folder. But with all means, I cannot get to see the option of selecting the 'copy public link'. All I see instead is an option 'share link'. When I follow that one, I can get a link for a download or for sharing via Facebook or Twitter. But no hotlink for use on a forum.

Am I still missing then something, or is it simply not possible for me since I am not a rather new subscriber to Dropbox (account created early 2013).

Nov 28, 2010
located
I thought I had read the manual now correctly, and have setup a public folder. But with all means, I cannot get to see the option of selecting the 'copy public link'. All I see instead is an option 'share link'. When I follow that one, I can get a link for a download or for sharing via Facebook or Twitter. But no hotlink for use on a forum.

Am I still missing then something, or is it simply not possible for me since I am not a rather new subscriber to Dropbox (account created early 2013).

Tried the download link yet? If it is an image, it should end on PNG or JPG or whatever format you chose.
You can use that address to embed an image via the
insertimage.gif
button, unless you want something else.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Very very confusing!

I only use Dropbox public linking from within Finder and/or Explorer as discribed in above posts, but I gave it another try just now ;)

I'm afraid DropBox killed the "use public link" option in the web version, so very confusing indeed! :confused:

No luck using safari on iOS, no luck with the app for iOS.

This is for me the only way to copy a link with the DropBox app for iOS, using the "share link" within the editor! No images are shown when link is pasted into the "share image" option....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/davq0qu5pqxkd3q/2013-05-24%2018.01.21.jpg

And last but not least, not able to paste an image url link with the attachments within this editor.

Houston, we've got a problem!? :confused: and completly lost here ;)

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
Another way to do this would be to remember the number assigned to your DB public folder account. As far as I know it never changes, so if you need to post a link from there, but can't get a public link for some reason, just remember it, and tag the name and extension of the file you want to share there.

For example, say I have a .jpg file called "cool_dog" in my public folder, but I'm on my iPad, and can't get a link from inside the app. All I need to know is that my dropbox public folder is located at...

"https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3018396"

...and all I have to do from there is tag the name of the file in at the end.

"https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3018396/cool_dog.jpg"

It's not the easiest thing in the world to do, but all I have to remember is the number at the end. 3018396 is my public folder squirreled away deep in some DB server somewhere. Everything before that is a generic Dropbox URL.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands

canton

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2008
So if I understand correctly this issue is still not resolved by DropBox?

I have a feeling that while direct image linking isn't prohibited, it's something Dropbox wants to discourage -- so they make it a sort of secret/hidden feature.

I actually found the tip about adding ?raw=1 to the URL on Dropbox's own support documentation, so there's nothing sneaky about it. Works great. But doesn't give them any route for revenue :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.