Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philipandrews

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Richmond, VA
I recently got the iPhone 4S synced it got everything moved over and now whenever I iMessage someone who I have stored in my contact list, it uses their number not their name. And the number is not how I have it inputed into my contact list either. It is like +1 (804) 555 3444. I am sure other people are having this issue. Hopefully someone has a solution. Thanks.

bobafetts3

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
I'm having the same issue.

Seems to be just with the iMessage contacts. I was planning on doing a full format when I make it home tonight to see if that fixes the issue or not.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
Check the very bottom of your contact list. I was having this issue as well and it turned out that some of my contacts were stored twice. Once with their name - the proper way. The second time at the bottom of my contact list with just their number. As a result, it was showing up in iMessage as just the phone number. Maybe this is what's happening to you too?

Ben52646

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2011
Here is the fix!!!

Okay, here is how you fix this problem:

STEP 1. First you have to dial *228 on your iPhone 4S. You should note that *228 is a Verizon over-the-air programming number.

STEP 2. Wait for sometime until the system responds, then you have to press “1″ to “Program or activate your phone”.

STEP 3. After sometime the system will say, “Settings updated”. Then you have to wait until the call disconnects.

STEP 4. Now double click the Home Button of your iPhone 4S to open the Task Manager.

STEP 5. Now close Phone, Message, and Contacts Applications on your iPhone 4S.

STEP 6. After waiting for five minutes, open the Message App on your iPhone 4S to check the fix.

That’s it. In this way you can fix iOS 5.0.1 contact bug on your iPhone 4S. If you are not able to fix this issue after using the above steps then again you have to close the Message App and restart your iPhone 4S. It is expected that soon Apple will release iOS 5.0.2 to fix this issue.

ronbuckles

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2012
Found a solution

My 4s started doing this last week on a trip to NYC. I had added contacts from a map lookup that include the "+ 1" plus area code and number. None of my other contacts had included the "+1". It seems as soon as I did that, it made all the rest of the contact numbers not usable. I removed all the new "+1" telephone numbers and turned off all apps and did the *228 option 1 reboot like above and everything went back to normal. Good luck folks...

Last edited:

Courtney2903

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
Check the very bottom of your contact list. I was having this issue as well and it turned out that some of my contacts were stored twice. Once with their name - the proper way. The second time at the bottom of my contact list with just their number. As a result, it was showing up in iMessage as just the phone number. Maybe this is what's happening to you too?

Absolutely awesome! Thanks heaps. I had been searching everywhere for a solution and this finally fixed it!!! Genius!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.