Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
You mean probably Fe-Atoms and Al-Atoms, and NOT steel molecules.

Duralumin exists since WWII, and replaced steel in aircraft constructions. It is comparable to steel.

Steel is an alloy, as well as the aluminum used in the iPhone 5.

Fe is iron. Steel is iron and another metal (typically chromium, molybdenum, or carbon)

It's still weaker than steel, but a far more promising material.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
People complaining about iPod touch bending and yet not one single pic. I am beginning to think people are either lying or blowing this wash out of the water. Not trying to be a douche bag but pics or it didn't happen.

Smarler536

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2013
I have had a iPod touch 5 since Christmas. I notice the top left corner of the screen was lighter in color. I removed the case I had on the iPod. The case is a clear soft rubber. The body of the iPod has a slight curve the is putting pressure on the glass causing the discolored area. I'm sure I caused the bend but..... I carry it in my front pocket, never have dropped it or anything else that would you would expect to cause this bend. This is 5th version of iPod I have owed and have never bent one before. So it was from normal use.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I have had a iPod touch 5 since Christmas. I notice the top left corner of the screen was lighter in color. I removed the case I had on the iPod. The case is a clear soft rubber. The body of the iPod has a slight curve the is putting pressure on the glass causing the discolored area. I'm sure I caused the bend but..... I carry it in my front pocket, never have dropped it or anything else that would you would expect to cause this bend. This is 5th version of iPod I have owed and have never bent one before. So it was from normal use.

Can we see pictures of what you are describing ?

Smarler536

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2013
here are some pictures

Can we see pictures of what you are describing ?
Again I'm sure it didn't magically bend. but it must have happened in my front pocket. If it cant survive in my front pocket it's a bad design. Apple agreed to replace it at no charge. Hard case here i come.
ibent1.jpeg

ibent2.jpg

ibent3.jpg

salas2324

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
The iPod Touch 5 doesn't lie flat due to the camera lens in the corner.

Hmm, the lens is on the upper right corner so I'm not sure.

Actually the camera is in the other side. The iPod is bent but this is the best way to show it.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Relax, it's just an unheralded feature - your 5th Gen. develops a nice curve with time and use!

Edit: both mine are fine.

RoddyM

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2013
Metro Detroit
iBent my iPhone 5

I got out of the car the other day with three inches of very wet snow on the ground. Somehow, I indavertently dropped my iPhone 5 which was in a case and had the invisible shield on it. I did not realize I dropped it. I went in the house and ate dinner. Afterwards, I went back outside to snow blow the driveway but did not move the car. Once I got back in the house I started looking for my iPhone. I had to ping it the phone using my iPad with the Find Phone app. After some time, I located the iPhone 5 (which I purchased about 8 days before) on the opposite side of the car near the rear tire. Fortunatley the light showed through the snow. I quickly wiped off the snow and placed it in a bowl of rice (to absorbe moisture). The phone is bent almost dead center. In fact, it is slightly twisted. The glass did not break and is still operational. I believe the snow blower picked up the phone and threw it under the car. If it wasn't for the case and invisible shield, I assume it would have smashed into pieces. I'm scared to try and bend it back for fear it will break the glass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.