Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I just downloaded and played their 2560p version :)

552mb file for 2 minutes of video!

Resolution is 2560x1440, it's 33.5mb/s and it takes about 100-115% of CPU to run it, perfectly smoothly in quicktime X, though it's obviously using 1 core and some change.

Looks good.
That's 1440p, not 2560p. :) When you talk about resolution you use the vertical number.

Still, that's a large file size for not much time!

deerfaced

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
I bought the Timescapes video in the retina resolution and playing through the latest version of VLC (retina updated) looks just stunning !!!! No stuttering here on the base model of the rMBP.

Just done the same - absolutely stunning. (just played it through QT though - might give VLC a bash, see if it's any different)

Braden P.

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2013
Looks Great!

I tried one from YouTube and it looked very crisp. It was easy to tell 1080p from the stunning 4K.

I just downloaded it in the original size and played it back in QuickTime because I didn't want to wait on Flash Player to encode it.

Veradun

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2013
Sydney, Australia
2008 MacBook + 4k video = fail :eek: sound plays just fine, but there's no visuals - it's just a black video window

I guess that's to be expected when it stutters even playing 720p. Oh well. I'll have to check it again when I have my Retina :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.