Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
New iMac 27 owner. Using a Fantom Greendrive with two partitions, one for TM and one for CCC. So far so good. Plan on backing up the most recent CCC clone to a portable HD every now and then. Does everyone just leave their external drive on 24/7 for TM? When people are talking about a 2 to 3 year life span for external drives, are they talking about leaving them on all the time? Additionally with this drive I can't have the iMac go to sleep (at least the computer; I have the display set to sleep).

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I leave my Time Machine drive on all the time and its been going strong for quite a long time. Why can't you put your iMac to sleep?

davidra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
When I do the external drive ejects...which I have assumed is the usual. I have the preferences set not to put drives to sleep, but when I allow the computer to sleep it disconnects the drive (I get a message saying the drive was disconnected without ejecting). Solved the problem by not letting the computer sleep. Is this not the case with all external drives?

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
When I do the external drive ejects...which I have assumed is the usual. I have the preferences set not to put drives to sleep, but when I allow the computer to sleep it disconnects the drive (I get a message saying the drive was disconnected without ejecting). Solved the problem by not letting the computer sleep. Is this not the case with all external drives?

Strange. That shouldn't happen. What should happen is that sometimes the Mac goes to sleep, external hard drives can power off if they are not used in a while, but when the Mac wakes up or the hard drive is needed, everything should just work fine.

There's another thread where someone has similar problems, worse because he or she is using the external drive as a start drive. This likely depends on the brand of hard drive that you are using.

davidra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I'll try and find the thread. I just tested it and immediately after putting it to sleep the drive disconnects without ejecting.

davidra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Strange. That shouldn't happen. What should happen is that sometimes the Mac goes to sleep, external hard drives can power off if they are not used in a while, but when the Mac wakes up or the hard drive is needed, everything should just work fine.

There's another thread where someone has similar problems, worse because he or she is using the external drive as a start drive. This likely depends on the brand of hard drive that you are using.

Actually, this apparently is a wide-spread problem that affects many different makes of drives. It also apparently is happening after upgrading to Mountain Lion with the same hardware that was working fine before upgrading. I wouldn't know; this is my first Mac, but it seems like this is a common problem that should be fixed.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4174723?start=0&tstart=0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.