Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Has anyone else had issues with Mountain Lion preinstalled on their new Macs? I ran it since release on my Mac Pro flawlessly but since I have had this new iMac with it preinstalled I have had illustrator cs6 crashing on start up and also Corel Painter throwing out Error20 on start up. I never got any of these on my Mac Pro 2008 with Mountain Lion. The only solution is a clean install it seems since my two days of researching has yielded zero results.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Did you migrate those applications from another Mac, from a Time Machine backup? Some applications don't transfer properly and may need to be reinstalled. Testing in another user should help you determine if that will be needed. Also make sure both pieces of software are up to date.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Did you migrate those applications from another Mac, from a Time Machine backup? Some applications don't transfer properly and may need to be reinstalled. Testing in another user should help you determine if that will be needed. Also make sure both pieces of software are up to date.

Everything was installed from installers, no migration at all. I do have a hunch though. Just get a funny feeling about the CUDA drivers that I installed.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Has anyone else had issues with Mountain Lion preinstalled on their new Macs? I ran it since release on my Mac Pro flawlessly but since I have had this new iMac with it preinstalled I have had illustrator cs6 crashing on start up and also Corel Painter throwing out Error20 on start up. I never got any of these on my Mac Pro 2008 with Mountain Lion. The only solution is a clean install it seems since my two days of researching has yielded zero results.

Yes, I too was having problems noting that mine were related to drives mounting / not mounting properly, weird behaviour with multiple applications, etc....AppleCare suggested I do a fresh instal which I did not want to do but eventually succumbed to and all was well...

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Yes, I too was having problems noting that mine were related to drives mounting / not mounting properly, weird behaviour with multiple applications, etc....AppleCare suggested I do a fresh instal which I did not want to do but eventually succumbed to and all was well...

Theoretically there shouldn't be a difference huh. I am thinking because iPhoto and GarageBand are preinstalled with it and when you start your mac for the first time it brings up the account set up that they have a modified install version for their os x so it includes iPhoto and GB in the installation all in one shot. Perhaps their version slightly modifies stuff for the specific computer it is going onto vs buying the generic ML that fits their whole range.

Apart from that I am stumped as to why a fresh install myself will make two of my apps work but a fresh preinstall this month by Apple screws stuff around. Could be Corel and Adobe's fault too but I was using Mountain Lion since release on my previous mac with both of those applications, no issues whatsoever.

Right now I don't really require Corel Painter and Illustrator I have bandaided by removing a culprit file I am 99% sure I don't require but once I get an external drive I will probably clean install ML.

Thanks for your input guys

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.