Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Holy necro!

Canada is great, though. I need to see more of it, particularly the big three (in my mind): Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal.

Windsor is 30 mins away and I played travel hockey growing up, so I've been across the border plenty of times for tournaments and whatnot.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I am American and I like Canadians.

Well, thank you very much!

I really cannot say anything bad about Canada or Canadians. However, the French Canadians some are not very nice. I think many Canadians that are not from Quebec would probably agree with this.:)
With apologies, but I think you are wrong. I mean, there are some Quebecois that can, um, 'grate on one's nerves'... but that is true of any culture. I don't believe there are any more in Quebec than anywhere else.

And, sorry but... I don't think Canadians believe people from Quebec are not very nice. Perhaps some of us may think they have an inflated sense of entitlement, as a culture. But for the most part the ROC believes the Quebecois are 'nice', eh?

JohnLT13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)
I nor anyone I know have any ill will towards Canada and its people.
IMO not much difference then the US. I hear the heath care is sub par, but thats hearsay. Should we have a problem with the Great White North?

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
a bit late aye?!

ok, just saw this with like 17 pages of replies. i'm slow. or busy. or both.

born in USA, had an uncle who sponsored me and i applied for dual citizenship at the Atlanta, GA Consulate site if it matters. this was LONG before 9/11 in the USA, so probably none of this matters, is current, or is relevant. just my 2 cents.

i loved, no, let me fix that, LOVED living in VON 2PO, and everthing that went with it. spent many nights sleeping at the Nanaimo and Vancouver ferry terminals, LOVED Victoria and everything it had to offer, and can remember getting 'gravy' on my fries from the local McDonalds. strange, but true. and Awesome. :) being one of the only people on the Island with Florida plates on my truck made me a bit of a stranger or 'outsider'....

that said, got stopped several times for 'worn tires', or a 'crack in my windshield' and had to claim to be an American just on my way to the border. got to see my Aunt/Uncle and the home invasion for 'un-reported' items and the scramble for paperwork after. at the 'Border Crossing' got stopped and had my vehicle stripped several times. really (REALLY, seats out, carpet out, etc) at the border based on me being a 20 something male in a toyota 4x4. i had no guns, i had no weapons, they didn't believe me, and took my truck apart. several times. got really good at putting the seat/carpet back in. not fun. don't even get me started on door panels or plastic connectors... there are some REAL differences in freedom, and FREEDOM! just my two cents. or a $1.50 canadian... :p

CAN has the health care and gun thing down/working. wish the USA would follow... been to both. lived in both. my 2 cents.

Last edited:

moosterdom

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
Illinois
Canada = awesome.

image-1_zps469813d1.jpg

Last edited:

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
Meaning I have no opinions either way if Canadians good or bad. Same if one was to ask me about people from Montana. Meh

fair enough. i only asked/wondered due to family history.

my relatives from MT are nuts. really.

my relatives from BC are awesome. really.

just interested in the perspective. thanks.

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Every time I think of Canada I think of:

-a leaf
-Blackberry
-snow
-France
-more snow
-hockey
-Toronto raptors
-state troppers dressed in red with those hats

something interesting about Canada is that 80% of the population lives within 10-20 miles of the US border

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
And, sorry but... I don't think Canadians believe people from Quebec are not very nice. Perhaps some of us may think they have an inflated sense of entitlement, as a culture. But for the most part the ROC believes the Quebecois are 'nice', eh?

My only trip to Canada was years ago, when I spent a few days in and around Montreal. Beautiful, fascinating city. But the single biggest memory I have (other than it being colder than a dead dog's dick outside) is that once the locals discovered that I neither speak nor understand French, their entire disposition toward me took a 180° turn for the worse. Not all of them, mind you, but most of them.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I like Canadians. They are like our trading/business partners up North who seem to be more level headed than we are. It's very easy for our populations to integrate (accept for Montreal, lol). Their banks did not take a licking when the bubble imploded. That was not by accident. They don't seem to be as consumed with greed as we are. But I'm not saying they are perfect. :):)

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
Every time I think of Canada I think of:

-a leaf
-Blackberry
-snow
-France
-more snow
-hockey
-Toronto raptors
-state troppers dressed in red with those hats

Interesting associations.... the 'blackberry' one is the most curious though.
My only trip to Canada was years ago, when I spent a few days in and around Montreal. Beautiful, fascinating city. But the single biggest memory I have (other than it being colder than a dead dog's dick outside) is that once the locals discovered that I neither speak nor understand French, their entire disposition toward me took a 180° turn for the worse. Not all of them, mind you, but most of them.
Ahh.... that's because they probably mistook you for being from somewhere else in Canada, and not the US ..... ;)

Seriously.... most countries that speak a non-dominant language will really warm up to someone who tries a few words, even if mangled. The other thing that I've read about Montreal is that service workers like a little banter. So, instead of just asking for a beer, you first comment on the weather. Then perhaps that you are looking forward to the weekend. And then, just in passing, you mention that perhaps - if it's not too much trouble - a beer would taste really good right about now.

Of course, this is much more difficult to pull off in French if you only speak English. So you even if you do mangle the order in French in the interests of being polite... you've still missed the banter part.

Montreal is complicated. But they make great bagels, and Montreal smoked meat is worth the trip.

Last edited:

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I grew up close to Canada, and I've spent a bit of time there (mostly Toronto and Montreal). On the whole I found Canadians to be somewhat nicer than their neighbors to the south. That particular contrast is far starker when crossing the border by car.

I've never had any problems at all in Montreal. I don't know if that can be attributed to my rudimentary command of French, the fact that I don't get insecure and offended when people speak to me in a language I don't/barely know, or none of the above. The thing I've always loved about Montreal is that the city seems radically bilingual and is very proud of it.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006

Weird. Both times I visited Montreal everyone I met was very friendly... even to us English-only speaking college kids from Massachusetts and even when I was wearing my Bruins hat.

We ran out of canadien money at one of the bars we were at too and they didn't even care that we paid in canadien and tipped in US dollars. Though I guess money is money either way.

Canada was awesome every time I visited though.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Sorry, but I don't get the underlying concept of this whole thread.

How can you like, or not like, a whole country?

And how can you like, or not like, the entire population of a whole country?

Forgive me for belaboring the obvious...there are nice people, and not nice people, everywhere. And setting aside grossly overgeneralized stereotypes...how can one make generalized statements about the whole population of a country?

Using stereotypic generalizations about any group allows the user to assume knowledge of any individual member of that that group, as in...all African Americans are...all Jews are...all Canadians are...

Silly, and at the extreme, dangerous.

Having said all that, aren't they the people who make ginger ale?

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
Not sure if it's been said yet, as this thread is getting quite long, but Canadians are American. As are central and south Americans, LOL. Tell a Costa Rican he's not American and you'll get a hot tortilla slap upside the head.

As an "estadosunidense" I like Canada. However Quebec's succession antics are proving quite divisive.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
When I think of Canadians I think of John Candy, Jim Carrey, Dan Akroyd, Rich Little, Norm Macdonald, Leslie Nielsen and Chris Findlay -- that last joker, from VC Island, is married to my niece.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
Not sure if it's been said yet, as this thread is getting quite long, but Canadians are American. ...
This would be true if the Unitedian Statians hadn't co-opted the continental moniker for themselves.
... However Quebec's succession antics are proving quite divisive.
Nah.... it's just good business. My feeling is that a lot of Quebecois scared themselves when they almost did vote for succession. Most thought, imho, that the vote was not going to be close, so it was safe to vote Oui to scare the ROC. oops, eh?.

Renzatic

Suspended
Not sure why you laugh, he's absolutely right.

Damn straight. There's a reason why the Germans were scared ****less of the Canadians coming for them during WWII. Yeah, they come across like your cool, laid back, unassuming uncle with a slight drinking problem at first glance. But you piss em off, and suddenly you've got a bunch of angry bastards who grew up killing moose and beaver-wolves with their bare hands in -40 C weather out screaming for your blood.

Canada. It's basically Siberia, but with a smile. Never forget that. :mad:

Okay, all funny as hell stereotypes aside, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything truly bad about Canada. At worst, the most contention you'll get between us are gentle ribbings like what I wrote above. It's like brotherly teasing if anything.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
Damn straight. There's a reason why the Germans were scared ****less of the Canadians coming for them during WWII. Yeah, they come across like your cool, laid back, unassuming uncle with a slight drinking problem at first glance. But you piss em off, and suddenly you've got a bunch of angry bastards who grew up killing moose and beaver-wolves with their bare hands in -40 C weather out screaming for your blood.

Same reason that when the US went into Afghanistan the Pentagon specifically asked for the Canadian Princess Patricias - A Light Infantry Battalion - to help 'em out in the mountain, and then later in Khandahar and the Panjwai district. Goofy....but tough....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.