Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
You just griped about portability and then you mentioned the surface pro.

Yes, because if im going to be lugging about something that big, it might as well be something that does everything a desktop PC can do, so Surface is best of both worlds, the Macbook Air doesn't have the touch screen, ease of use when out and about, and all the iPad does is the same things my phone does but with a bigger screen, no point in carrying two functionally identical, but differently sized devices around.

i

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Yes, because if im going to be lugging about something that big, it might as well be something that does everything a desktop PC can do, so Surface is best of both worlds, the Macbook Air doesn't have the touch screen, ease of use when out and about, and all the iPad does is the same things my phone does but with a bigger screen, no point in carrying two functionally identical, but differently sized devices around.

Well, I for one, wouldn't want to work on a complex and large Excel spreadsheet on a Surface. Even though Surface is technically capable of handling Excel spreadsheets, its smallish screen size will mean that I will only be able to see a small portion of the spreadsheet at a time -- very frustrating and tedious when working with a large and complex spreadsheet. The same thing with iPhone and iPad. Sometimes a bigger screen does help in getting tasks done easier, even if technically, the devices' functions are identical.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

i

That problem is that it doesn't do everything. Surface is still an under powered tablet trying to masquerade as a laptop when most laptops can do way more. It doesn't do anything well. It's not a good tablet, or mini tablet or PC. I know people who have it who thought like you and ended up going back to their iPads. I see them griping on FB. I'm like I told you so. MSFT should've just made their tablet a tablet. It's better to be good at a few things then to be bad at everything.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Been doing almost the opposite lately. I've found that I'm using my MacBook more and more while sitting on the couch/watching tv. I sometimes forget that I even have an iPad. Guess I need to start leaving it in the living room next to the tv remote.

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
Everyone is going to be different. For business I use the ipad this way;

Read periodicals and books (WSJ is very easy to read on the ipad)
Take notes or record thoughts when I am not at my laptop
Check calendar for appointments
Quick check for emails and sometimes when an immediate response is needed
Review documents more easily (contracts, presentations, etc.)... Allows me to not be chained to my desk.
Edit: forgot to add... When traveling it is easier to connect to local wifi for quick connections to work or travel related searches ... Like yelp, open table, kayak, hotels.com etc.

Then there is the fun stuff, like watching videos, playing games, etc.

Supplement your business use... Don't TRY to use it...

R

Maxblasta

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
I have a mac, an ipad, and iphone. my uses change whenever i get an updated model of any of them. It's a neverending cycle...

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Lol the only attachment you can add is a photo... Obviously he wants to attach one of the many many other file formats.

To attach all other kinds of file you need some apps that manage files like GoodReader etc.

These apps can send all kinds of files via e-mail.

praktical

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
Oklahoma City Oklahoma.
Productivity

Seriously here. You'll never get anywhere really productive using your iPad no matter how many apps you have at your arsenal. The MBP keys to productivity in every way possible. However if emails are the definitive role in a productive day for ou if you're a top lev exec then fine but the average person reliant on his computer for productivity will never rely on his/her iPad.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
The answer to your concern is self control - that's it. Beyond that, current tablets will never be desktop or laptop replacements. Perhaps in coming years when they are considerably more advanced than the toys we have now.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
100% agree. I cannot do any serious work nor serious work in a timely fashion on my iPad.

It really is primarily a play/leisure device, which in my opinion, isn't worth investing in again unless iOS 7 brings some serious new features/changes. It plays games well, and is a decent device to browse the web on, but not much else.

Typing anything remotely long on the iPad is painful.

Not painful, but not very successful for me. My reason for leaving the iPad behind is it was simply a content/entertainment device. My University apps worked liked crap on it and several applications I use on my iMac still aren't available for it.

I think it's great that people can use the iPad for productivity, but for my particular needs, it just wasn't useful (Siri included). Not a CEO, but as someone who was going to school and didn't want the hassle of dropbox, extra wireless keyboard etc., the iPad just isn't something I'd use for creation. Consumer? Maybe some time in the future...

LightOnAHill

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I use the mini all the time at the same time as my 11" air, and the synergy makes me ultra efficient in my legal work.

Sure it's fun to use the mini sometimes when a laptop would be faster, like typing this, but I love using the Mac air so much there really isn't a trap here for me. :cool:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I can type pretty comfortably on the ipad's virtual keyboard, and my emails aren't that long that typing on a physical keyboard will net my significant time savings.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I can type really fast using the Apple wireless keyboard, which I share between my desktop, iPad and iPhone.. so typing is not an issue.

It is iOS itself that is not as well suited as a desktop OS for a number of tasks. For one thing, when I have a 22" monitor at home and a 24" monitor at work, I don't want to be using a 10" iPad screen to get work done.

The benefit of having an iPad is the portability of it. You could carry it around everywhere and get work done where you usually wouldn't bother, like on the bus.

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010
I call it the iPad trap, really it's poor self control but I find myself using the iPad over my laptop more than I should. The end result being I'm doing things less efficiently and slower than I would if I was doing the same tasks my laptop.

The iPad is so convenient to grab and go and use anywhere that it ends up being my device of choice. And for me that's a mistake. I'm CEO of a Design and Manufacturing company, I work long hours, time is money.

Whether it's typing emails on the touchscreen, inability to add attachments, viewing CAD files, editing documents or concept drawing it all goes quicker using a laptop.

It's time to get away from the iPad for a while, I'm going to start leaving it on my night stand and use it only as a consumption device and get back to getting things done quicker and easier with my Mac's.

It's an easy thing to fall into I think and I doubt I'm the only one that sits there at times typing on the touchscreen thinking what the heck am I doing, it would be so much easier/faster on my Mac.

Anyone share the same experience or am I only one with poor self control who gravitates to the iPad more than they should :)

Dont blame perfectly good technology for your lack of discipline.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I call it the iPad trap, really it's poor self control but I find myself using the iPad over my laptop more than I should. The end result being I'm doing things less efficiently and slower than I would if I was doing the same tasks my laptop.

The iPad is so convenient to grab and go and use anywhere that it ends up being my device of choice. And for me that's a mistake. I'm CEO of a Design and Manufacturing company, I work long hours, time is money.

Whether it's typing emails on the touchscreen, inability to add attachments, viewing CAD files, editing documents or concept drawing it all goes quicker using a laptop.

It's time to get away from the iPad for a while, I'm going to start leaving it on my night stand and use it only as a consumption device and get back to getting things done quicker and easier with my Mac's.

It's an easy thing to fall into I think and I doubt I'm the only one that sits there at times typing on the touchscreen thinking what the heck am I doing, it would be so much easier/faster on my Mac.

Anyone share the same experience or am I only one with poor self control who gravitates to the iPad more than they should :)
First off, I enjoyed your post... :)

I don't believe it's a matter of poor self control, as much as a matter of convenience, enjoyment, and a way to take a break from the long standing way we've used computers.

My personal experience with the choices I have, is not too much unlike yours.

At this very moment I'm composing this on my iPad 4. Yet being at home, I could have chosen to use my Mac Pro, 15" MBPr, 13" MBA, iPad mini, or iPhone 5.

What's especially revealing is amongst these choices I really enjoy the laptops, and have for years. But I grabbed the iPad 4 most probably because of the casual feel, the relaxed impression it gives, knowing full well how much I detest typing on glass...ha...ha...ha :D

relax11

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
My MBA 11" has relegated my iPad 4 to a device which occasionally gets used on an airplane. The combination of portability and work make up for the fact that it's not quite as fun at consumption. The mini looks mildly interesting, but I'm waiting for retina and more speed.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I have the opposite "problem" (see my signature): fewer and fewer and fewer instances over time - hardly any these days - wherein I could be more productive on a device other than my iPad. I'm wicked fast typing, employ a robust file system solution, and apps for everything I need and want. Hard to imagine ever going back to a laptop. I'm an independent feature film producer fwiw.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Oh no! Trapped by a device that's too useful to put down?

It seems like the issue for many of these folks is that they can't resist firing up a game instead of working.

So maybe the solution is to delete the games.

Or do as they seem to feel is proper and keep the iPad only for "playtime" and train their brains that work is on computer, fun is on the iPad.

Which is fine. So long as they keep the preaching that no one can do work in an iPad to themselves. Because that is bull. It all depends on what 'work' means. And despite what Mr Ballmer thinks, it doesn't equal using Microsoft Office. I do 12-16 hours of work, six days a week a good 36 weeks of the year just fine with an iPad rather than a computer.

----------

but the average person reliant on his computer for productivity will never rely on his/her iPad.

On the contrary, I think if you asked the average person what he or she does in a day you would find few things that can't be done just as well on an iPad or similar tablet. Because for the average person about all they do is check email, perhaps play pandora in the background etc.

The people who spend all day at their computer typing novel length reports etc are not average any more than I, who spends all day on film and TV sets, is average.

Use what works do for you but don't presume that you are the touchstone of the world and its needs and **** on folks that have a different view and things will go just fine.

----------

The answer to your concern is self control - that's it. Beyond that, current tablets will never be desktop or laptop replacements. Perhaps in coming years when they are considerably more advanced than the toys we have now.

So will they or won't they. You just say they will never be, and then said maybe in a few years.

By seriously, there will always be a few tasks that will need a regular computer. But those will be the non average things. Tablets will get more powerful and folks will be more accustomed to them. In a generation or so I think we'll see computers go back to their original roots of labs, etc and creatives like my company and the average person will be rocking personal devices. So they might have a computer at home but it will be more of a hub for storing backups, media for their connected TVs etc. the computer won't be THE thing they turn to for really anything. And that I what I think Tim Cook was saying with his Post PC world comments.

----------

It is iOS itself that is not as well suited as a desktop OS for a number of tasks. For one thing, when I have a 22" monitor at home and a 24" monitor at work, I don't want to be using a 10" iPad screen to get work done.

Which has nothing to so with iOS.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I'm a CEO and just learned the concept of self-control and mastering performance years ago. That's how I became a CEO.

Go figure.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.