Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redrum509

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Bought my iPad 3 on launch last year. Just recently my battery seems to drain very fast. It is still under warranty. How does apple handle this? I've never had to use a warranty for a apple product. Do I take it to the store and they give me another one? Thanks.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Bought my iPad 3 on launch last year. Just recently my battery seems to drain very fast. It is still under warranty. How does apple handle this? I've never had to use a warranty for a apple product. Do I take it to the store and they give me another one? Thanks.

With warranty, like all legal problems, it would be an excellent idea to tell us what country you are in. Something that might be correct and good advice in Italy might be complete nonsense for someone in Sweden. And there is the question: Where did you buy it? That can make a huge difference.

Within manufacturer's warranty, the manufacturer has to fix the problem. In the case of Apple, they will fix it when you take it to an official Apple Store. Go before the warranty runs out to avoid problems. Make sure everything is backed up before you go there.

With iPads, where most problems would be very hard to fix in the store, it is most likely that you would get a replacement (refurbished iPad), if there is indeed a fault. Things like jailbreaking _could_ lead to the battery draining quickly, in which case it would be not a fault of the iPad and Apple wouldn't do anything.

Redrum509

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
I live in Washington. How would I prove that the battery is draining fast? The battery last about 3-4 hours only.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
give more information...

under what circumstances? i assume normal room temperature.
3-4 hours in standby, movies or games?

just go there and they can test it.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
If you are using max brightness and doing something like watching videos...4 is pretty realistic.

Check if you have apps still open that could be training your battery also.

Are you on the newest iOS?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Dealing with apple and warranty service

1. Backup your data. Presumably to both your computer via iTunes and iCloud (you might want to import your photos to your computer and not try to back them up if there are more than a couple hundred)

2. Make sure your iOS is the most current version.

3. Make an appointment. Almost no apple store has walk in service and if you don't make an appointment from home you could find yourself being made to come back another day

4. Be on time to the appointment. They are only like 10 minutes long and if you miss your appointment time that's your bad.

5. Be prepared that they will likely NOT replace your iPad. Seriously. It sounds like it was fine until now so it is very possibly just glitches up software and they will not replace hardware for software issues. They will restore it, probably tell you not to use an iTunes backup (cause the glitches might be brought back) and send you home with instructions to wait at least 72 hours before coming back. Every other time it was software and the wipe did fix the issue for several months

My company has 30 iPhones and 50 iPads in our kit and I'm the carry in person for issues. Only once has hardware been replaced due to battery and that was actually an iPhone 3GS my boss refused for ages to give up and since the battery was almost two years old and 'consumed' it wasn't covered under the warranty.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
Try backup your data and wipe the device. Then try restore with nothing on it, jit a blank slate and see how it fares. If still the same, take it to apple and tell them what you did to troubleshoot it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.