Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Lets say I were to, for the hell of it, walk into an Apple store today in 2013 with my Macinosh 512k and tell them that I had a problem with my Apple product and would like to have it repaired.
Aside from probably laughing at me, would you think they could help me out? Perhaps refer me to some other group?

Anybody else tried something this cheeky? :p

(Note: I have no problem with mine right now but in the future in the case that I had)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
They won't do anything. I've tried it with my Powerbook 180 last year. Got a good laugh out of them, till I had the replace the topcase on my Macbook for free. The Apple "Geniuses" seem easily amused. Like the time they saw the colour Apple boot logo on my sister's iMac. Wonder what they'd do with a balloon?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Really depends on the "Genius". There's one at my local store of choice that is a collector. (Wouldn't acknowledge if she's on any forums - probably can't acknowledge if she was.)

Brought in my PowerBook 100 once on a lark - she got a kick out of it (and it's how I found out she was a collector. Wasn't targeting any Genius in particular - if I'd gotten any other Genius, probably would have gotten a :confused: response.)

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
I went in with a //c and Prarie Power a few years ago..

They all were playing with it, and the floppy disks for a while..

That needs to be a KFest gag during a trip to the Apple store..

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Lets say I were to, for the hell of it, walk into an Apple store today in 2013 with my Macinosh 512k and tell them that I had a problem with my Apple product and would like to have it repaired.
Aside from probably laughing at me, would you think they could help me out? Perhaps refer me to some other group?

Anybody else tried something this cheeky? :p

(Note: I have no problem with mine right now but in the future in the case that I had)

Older Local PC shops with some older workers will know how to repair your old Mac.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Only thing is I live in rural Ireland so it's hard to find somebody competant enough to fix a three year old Dell round here...

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
An Apple store might be able to point you towards an authorized Apple service provider. You could search for one here.

There is almost no chance an Apple Store is going to do a repair, even if you offered to pay. IIRC when Jobs came back to Apple, he had them get rid of the old machines and products by donating the important stuff to Stanford. I would guess the rest was sold, donated, trashed, or brought home by employees. Therefore I doubt they even have the parts to do the repairs if someone wanted to.

You would probably want a service store that has been in business over a decade since they will likely need to use old parts that they have had in inventory. Between the cost of labor and parts, it might end up being cheaper to buy another working 512k on ebay. That or find a non-working machine and cannibalize the parts between the two and hope it's not the logic board that has gone bad on both.

Since it's still working, I would suggest putting it into storage in a dry and cool place. If you want to bring it out for ***** and giggles to play with, only do so rarely and don't have it running for a long period of time.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
you guys are lucky I brought my white imac intel core 2 duo into my local apple store and the so called genius said "how old is that!"

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Since it's still working, I would suggest putting it into storage in a dry and cool place. If you want to bring it out for ***** and giggles to play with, only do so rarely and don't have it running for a long period of time.

Yeah I just use it to play around with the ancient OS and would rarely power it up. Would my bedroom desk be a good place to keep it? (3rd floor, room temperature, average-low lighting)

I just love the look of it like a piece of art almost so I hope I can keep it safe and protected in a clearly visible area, not hidden away

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
I just love the look of it like a piece of art almost so I hope I can keep it safe and protected in a clearly visible area, not hidden away
If it makes you happy sitting out displayed, then it's probably worth more to you personally than you could get it selling it. You will be lucky if it doubles in value in our lifetime so no real need to lock it away like an artifact. Hopefully it's internals survive long enough for you to pass it on though.

Maybe keep its away from sunlight coming through windows. The beige plastic boxes from the 80's and 90's seem to have a tendency to yellow, which is worsened by sunlight, heat, and other factors. If it's already yellow and you want to get it back to it's original hue, you can make a batch of this stuff and remove then soak the plastic shell in it. More info here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.