Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Koontzy

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Alhough I am new to Mac OS X, I love it already more than Windows 7. I am enjoying Mac, and don't think I will go back o pc anytime soon.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I switched. The current Office for Mac is a baby compared to even old versions of Office for Windows.

Browsing the Internet on PC is superior to Macs and that includes Flash and Java. Please don't tell me how flash is dying.

Easier to install and uninstall programs.

Networking is superior on PCs.

.Net

Gaming.

Software and hardware are much more available.

Right click options and print selection options are still better than Mac. Can't believe it took stubborn Jobs to add a 2nd mouse button!

Peripheral software such as Printers offer many more options for Windows.

With Windows you can click any corner of the box and drag it.

The traffic light (red, yellow, green) is confusing. Closing a program (App) is confusing.

Many more reasons, but iTunes is better on a Mac :rolleyes: Took me too long to see the light and the money I wasted on Mac.

No MS Access, SharePoint, OneNote for Macs.

Bottom line is the World uses Windows and if you are wasting your time with Macs, you'll be at a disadvantage.

Last edited:

scotttnz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
interesting, I just recently switched from my gaming machine (sold it) to a 13" MBP.

I guess a few of the biggest factors in this consideration was:

1. I should spend less time gaming, and spend time focusing on other things.
2. Wanted to simplify, could be moving out of the country and I can't take my beastly tower + 4 monitors with me.
3. Everything else I own is made by Apple, might as well go full in on the eco system.
4. Really got tired of updates/messing around with drivers/crashing (not to say my Mac doesn't crash, but it crashes about 5% as much as my PC)
5. The PC I built, while amazing for gaming was becoming a money sink. Always wanting the latest and greatest...haha.
6. I saw the future in Windows 8, and I did not like what I saw. This was the final straw.

I figured if I wanted to game, I'll game on the consoles. So far (about 2 months in) it is working out for me.

Same experience here. I work in IT, mostly with Windows systems and some pretty complicated stuff, but when it comes to my personal time I have come to value simplicity over the more flexible, but more complex PCs.

I tried to like Windows 8, but I just couldn't, and that is what gave me the final push to try a Mac. Incidentally, of the IT geeks I know, I'd say its about a 60/40 hate/love ratio, with very little middle ground. Even after a couple of months to get familiar with it, I'm still in the hate camp. (And don't get me started on having the tablet optimised Metro interface on Windows Server 2012.....crazy!)

I may switch back to Windows one day, but for now at least, Mac, and the Apple ecosystem works for me.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
The direction of OS X and the design of the Macs put me off. I don't mind the lack of upgrading you could do to your hardware, but I liked the days when I was paying £1000 for a beefy PPC processor with some rather high end hardware and simple but powerful software. Now the Macs seem to be lacking in terms of specs and OS X is gimmicked out with iOS stuff, but still at a premium price. Also, Apple's lack of long term support was getting annoying.

So when my Mac quickly became obsolete as they always do, I started using my PC more.

And I have yet to run into anyone who likes Windows 8. Are you out there? :)
I love it. To me it just seems people are beefing about a fullscreen Start Menu. I'm sure they'll get over it in time.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
The direction of OS X and the design of the Macs put me off. I don't mind the lack of upgrading you could do to your hardware, but I liked the days when I was paying £1000 for a beefy PPC processor with some rather high end hardware and simple but powerful software. Now the Macs seem to be lacking in terms of specs and OS X is gimmicked out with iOS stuff, but still at a premium price. Also, Apple's lack of long term support was getting annoying.

So when my Mac quickly became obsolete as they always do, I started using my PC more.

Apple's longterm support issues are annoying, and yet it the direction that Microsoft has decided to take with Windows is actually one of the reasons I've decided to switch back to Mac OS.

I love it. To me it just seems people are beefing about a fullscreen Start Menu. I'm sure they'll get over it in time.
If it was just a style of start menu I could easier get used to it. I did so back in XP and again in Vista. But from a productivity/efficiency standpoint the start screen feels like a serious downgrade from the old start menus. I mean with a start menu you can drag and drop files between it and the desktop. And you can always dismiss and go back to an already open application with a simple click. It also provides an automatically compiled list of most used applications right above your cursor upon opening. And as of Vista all your applications are accessible through the slightest movements of the mouse.

I should however point out that my dislike of Windows 8 goes beyond the start screen. Other things irk me, such as the top to bottom gesture needed to close "modern" applications (I found this strenuous even with a touchscreen, let alone a mouse!) and that half these applications don't seem to work right in the side panel mode.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
The thing that comes up most is gaming. I think that hardware guys make the jump because they can build a beast from raw components for much less. For people that like to tinker with all the little optimization programs and command lines, Windows is perfect. For me, I like the Mac workflow that gets out of the way and allows me to spend less time babysitting the computer and more time getting work done so I can get back to real life.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Can't beat the raw power for 1/2 the price, but I know plenty of people including myself that run external HDD's, USB Drives, DVD players/burners, Blu-ray players etc. Am I missing something?

Just that you can't use an external HDD, USB drive, and DVD drive at the same time, even if you don't use a wired network or external keyboard/mouse. Nevermind you'll never ever be able to use a blu-ray drive natively.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Just that you can't use an external HDD, USB drive, and DVD drive at the same time, even if you don't use a wired network or external keyboard/mouse. Nevermind you'll never ever be able to use a blu-ray drive natively.

Sure you can re: drives and connections. Blu-ray correct, re: natively, but you can still use it. Does it matter if it is natively?

Last edited:

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Sure you can re: drives and connections. Blu-ray correct, re: natively, but you can still use it. Does it matter if it is natively?

How? Even the newest MacBook only has 2 USB ports, and by my count I'd need 3 to use a USB drive, mouse, and keyboard. Nevermind if I wanted to transfer files between external hard drives, or run a VM off of a NAS drive.

Re:Blu-ray, if it's more steps than putting a disc into a drive and pushing play, it's too many steps - especially when a Dell works just like that.

This isn't a conversation about the choices apple made, it's simply my reasoning. You can't use a mac in any sort of professional environment without extreme compromises, and you can't use a mac in a home theater environment without extreme compromises too (until the latest refresh when they added an HDMI port that is).

What I can do is spend $1000 on a high-end PC and have a superb experience though.

Given those constraints, you tell me why a mac would even make a sliver of sense to buy?

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
How? Even the newest MacBook only has 2 USB ports, and by my count I'd need 3 to use a USB drive, mouse, and keyboard. Nevermind if I wanted to transfer files between external hard drives, or run a VM off of a NAS drive.

You know your prior posts never indicated that you were talking about notebooks. Apple desktops have more than two USB ports after all. Though even with the MacBook you could always use a powered hub. Sure it's something you have to plug in, but when are you ever going to have all three devices plugged in at once on the go?

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I still use a Macbook Pro 13 for portable use but as for my main workstation, I recently switched to a PC.

Main reason being that Aperture was not being updated properly, wanted to a new tower for more space and speed, figured would be cheaper to move over to Lightroom with a new far more powerful PC.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

Re:Blu-ray, if it's more steps than putting a disc into a drive and pushing play, it's too many steps - especially when a Dell works just like that.

This isn't a conversation about the choices apple made, it's simply my reasoning. You can't use a mac in any sort of professional environment without extreme compromises, and you can't use a mac in a home theater environment without extreme compromises too (until the latest refresh when they added an HDMI port that is).

What I can do is spend $1000 on a high-end PC and have a superb experience though.

Given those constraints, you tell me why a mac would even make a sliver of sense to buy?

I wouldn't say a Mac was good for you. You said you couldn't do the above on a Mac. I said you could. Daisy chain of HD. Moot point, I see what you are saying re: limited on usb ports, ok, I will give you that. Two instead of three, of course one can always use thunderbolt, but the price at this point. To expensive.

Blu-ray, if you have the software installed which I am assuming is also installed on the windows machine. External blu-ray, pop disc in and wouldn't that software know to play a blu-ray disc? Seems to me it would. But ok.

Given the fact that I almost always do a fresh install of the os and software on my PC I install the software that I want and associate that software i.e. dvd/blu-ray playback.

But you are correct and I stated it in my first post. Can't compete on the price.

Not trying to convince you, you are on a Mac site and you know what works for you and what doesn't.

I guess your mileage will very with the definition of superb user experience.

Edit... meant thunderbolt not lightning...whoops!

Last edited:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Power =/= responsiveness

A semi truck has more power than a car, but doesn't mean it'll go faster or handle well in traffic.

Raw power for 1/2 the price, and the ability to use peripherals - external HDD's, USB drives, DVD's, etc...

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I guess your mileage will very with the definition of superb user experience.

It's not about experience. Don't get me wrong, I much prefer OS X over Windows, from a UX point of view. But from a "can I do what I want, and can I do it easily?" point of view, it's a lot easier to carry my laptop where it needs to be, and plug all sorts of devices into it, rather than worrying about USB hubs.
Power =/= responsiveness

A semi truck has more power than a car, but doesn't mean it'll go faster or handle well in traffic.
No, but when you need a semi-truck, Apple doesn't make one. Don't get me started on the joke that is called 'Mac Pro' :-\

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
I switch backwards and forwards all the time. I have to use Windows at School, and most of my subjects need Visual Studio. However because i study music, having a mac IS kinda useful, although i have to use Cubase for school stuff, and it sucks on the mac.

Also since getting my external monitor(Dell UM2412M), windows is a much much better desktop OS than OS X is. But OS X all the way for on the go.

iOS vs. Android. Eh, they both work, they both look pretty. The only draw to iOS for me is iTunes syncing for music, so i get all my album art and stuff.

Bearliners

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2013
Berkshire
OS X and Windows 7

Morning from the new kid on the block.

I must admit I owe a Macbook pro 15" running Mountain Lion and a HP Pavillion running Windows 7. Until 2 months ago, I would have not even bothered with Windows 7. I was a happy camper with my Mac book pro.

and then.. Jan 2nd 2013..

I did the absurd mistake to update my OS .. and download Mountain Lion. Well, from a great Mac, I ended up with a piece of [no faul words in public please... ;-D].. to a point that drove me up the walls. non responsive apps, pixelated images, battery life down by at least 30%, you name it
Virtual inferno made real

I tried to re install Snow Leopard on, but so far, no luck. But at the end, I got sooooo F... fed up with Mountain Lion that I bought a PC. I can not say i m mad and crazy about Windows 7, but..
1. it works
2. it s fast enough for what I do
3. it does not glitch the 1/60th of the mess I ve been experienced with Mountain Lion
4. windows progtrams are 10 times cheaper than their Mac counterpart

so, at the end.. my Mac Book pro is now sleeping somewhere at home.. waiting to end up on Ebay.

sorry. but if Apple is not even able to provide decent assistance in downgrading your system back to a previous version.. why should I keep on injecting cash in their product.

I have the feeling that they almost made it impossible to downgrade.. . and believe me, i ve tried it all. I almost thought of bringing my MBP and the install disk of Snow Leopard to the apple store in Regent Street [I live in London] and ask them to do the install for me...

I admit, my MBP is an old baby.. early 2008.all aluminium. that s not new but it can run ML[according to what theapple website said].
. I bought it already loaded with Leopard on it, and when i did install snow leopard, my MBP worlked fab. no glitch, no mess. it was just a bliss to use it.. Since i installed Mountain Lion... well.. no comment.. but i got so frustrated by Mountain Lion that.... in the end.. I just bought a PC, and learn to use Windows 7.
it s sad because i was really mac crazy. i still love the look and the touch of my MBP, but. I can t keep on working on it and getting so crossed that i ll end up with a cardac arrest. It s only a computer after all.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located

You could have installed Windows 7 on your MacBook Pro and even make it the only OS on there by formatting the HDD completely.

I myself have a 2009 MBP, which runs Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard quite well and before I took the third time to try OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, I cloned the existing Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard installation onto another external HDD and then upgraded to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. After half a day of being disappointed with it, I simple booted from the backup and cloned the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard install back onto a freshly formatted SSD.
I tried to re install Snow Leopard on, but so far, no luck.
As you do not tell us, what you have tried so far, we cannot help you efficiently, maybe you answer my question to your other post in that other thread (if you ever return) and we might be able to help (if you even want help).

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
I feel tempted to switch to a PC or at least to buy one (I have a MBP and MBA currently). I miss having something to game on. I'd be tempted to use a PC as my "main" computer but I'm worried about the compatibility of using a mac/pc for my PhD. I notice some of the formatting gets messed up when we look at drafts on my supervisors computer at uni (a dell)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.