Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
Samsung Galaxy SII: PDA/house brain. It controls my apartment; turns off the lights when I leave, my computer when I go to sleep, notifies me of my grocery list when I go out, other todo lists, gives me access to temperature data from sensors around the apartment, reads me weather and other info when I get up, etc- most of it fully automatic. I don't often leave the lock screen, as I've set it up to either do it automatically, or so that I can do 95% of what I need from the lock screen.

iPad mini: Actual app interaction. For studying, and for teaching. Take notes, read, handle documents, grade papers, digital whiteboard, presenting tool, read magazines, news readers, etc. Pretty much an "app island paradise"; lots of single apps that serve a specific purpose, without the complete tie in to everything and anything that my phone has. I do have a folder full of icons that send commands to my phone, which in turn can e.g. forward its last notification to the iPad, turn off the lights, or check the weather sensors and return the data as a notification on my iPad.

Desktop PC: Alpha and omega when at home, doing work, watching video, playing games. Always on when not at home, allowing me to Splashtop into it from my iPad.

AlabamaAce

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Wow, Cpt, your SII is seriously hooked up! Are your lights and thermostat connected to a wireless network or something?

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
Tellstick Net control unit that controls various "dumb" (and cheap) home automation gear and bridges them to the web. It's a very long story, but i doubt you could dig up someone with a more customized system if you tried for a year

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
iPad - Web browsing, playing games, notes in school

MacBook Pro 13" - Web browsing, YouTube, gaming, applications that require a computer (Photoshop, Microsoft Office, etc.)

iPod Touch - Music, gaming, checking email quickly

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
MacBook Pro - Autodesk Maya, SketchBook Designer, Unity, Eclipse, Adobe Photoshop, After Effects, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Scrivener - All my productivity workflow stuff. And then I stuff my notes into Evernote. Otherwise just browsing the internet.

iPad Mini - Reading magazines, looking at the weather, drawing, writing, and playing with sounds. Some games, but very few.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket - More reading, taking pictures, and looking at the news.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
ipad for reading tweets, Facebook, flipboard, netflix and games
mbp for web browsing, FaceTime, photpshop, video editing, and netflix
iphone for email, Facebook, tweets, reading news/sports and texting/imessage
:apple:

PortableLover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
england
Laptop : for 3d renders/animations, working in game engines, using the Adobe Creative Suite(Premiere, Photoshop & After Effects mainly), Maya(soon), 3DSMax and generally hard to handle stuff lol. A few other suites as well.

iPad: For preliminary design work( I use PS Touch and SketchBook as well as other apps), games as well and videos.

iPhone: Games, email, reminders, music and the usual calling and messaging. To be honest, I find the iPad too large to carry everywhere and I don't need to design work everywhere... This iPhone(5) has replaced my old Nokia n73, its been a big improvement in almost everything.

Needless to say the most important thing is my laptop. I am going to try and wait for the new Mac Pro 2013.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
MacBook: ripping DVDs and downloading torrents

Ipad mini: everything else

Arianasieghart

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
Chicago
MacBook Pro: I really only use it for homework, sometimes Internet browsing if I have time to kill.

iPad mini: web browsing, apps, homework storage, games, Netflix

iPhone 5: calls, texts, email, music, some fitness/calorie counter apps, and twitter.

iPod touch 4th gen: right now I only use it as a baby monitor using an app & another one of my iOS devices.

iPad 1st gen: gave it to my 2 year old when I got the mini. He has a ton of toddler apps and movies on it. Keeps him entertained while I get homework done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.