Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cpuin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
Hi,

I read a lot here and in another forums, blogs etc.regarding Internet Security for Mac OS.I personally have tested all suites on the market but i want to hear the opinion of another users.PLEASE, don't post opinions like "My brain and skills are best internet security" i know this very well!!!Despite of this fact some users prefer to use some suite because some users can't stay STAND BY all the time.Also some of us download torrents and make another let's say risky activity.I would like to here the opinion of users that already have test some suites.Please note that i'm not talking about AntiVirus only but for Internet security suites that include Firewall, Antivirust and others.I personaly have tested:

- Intego Internet Security 2013
- McAfee Internet Security Mac 2013
- Norton Internet Security 5
- ESET Cyber security Pro Mac

Please share your opinion about best antivirus protection in these and other suites and which firewall is better and of course why?

cutter74

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2012
I'll be the first to admit that I'm new to the Mac world, having used PCs for some 25 years now. This is the first question I asked myself and raised an eyebrow when looking at the answers of many Mac users stating that they didn't use antivirus software.

In the end, I decided not to install an antivirus suite. Not because I'm arrogant or I know any better than the average user (an attitude that irritates the hell out of me when I see it posted by the average joe by the way), but simply because there currently are no viruses for Mac OS!

One might argue that this doesn't mean that a virus can't be written someday for Mac. Personally, I believe that the Mac OS will be just as easy to infect as Windows; it's just that virus coders don't want to target Macs. But anyway, back to our scenario; if a virus for Macs existed, your antivirus would probably do nothing to protect you against that virus, simply because it isn't programmed with the virus definition and as a consequence, doesn't know how to do so!

Firewalls are a different story altogether; personally i see no reason why not to enable Apple's embedded OS firewall on your Mac; if you haven't already done so, I would recommend you to do so immediately.

So, my vote would be to save your cash, not purchase any Security suites and enable the firewall already embedded in Mountain Lion.

cpuin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
not what i asked

Thanks for your comments.My question is which of them is better?Let's say that we have to install some, so which one is better and why?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for your comments.My question is which of them is better?Let's say that we have to install some, so which one is better and why?

Here is a recent test that reviewed the effectiveness of the various OS X AV solutions that might be helpful for you. This is the second part of a two part article. Give both parts a read... lots of good background info there on the whole Mac AV issue.

cpuin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
Here is a recent test that reviewed the effectiveness of the various OS X AV solutions that might be helpful for you. This is the second part of a two part article. Give both parts a read... lots of good background info there on the whole Mac AV issue.

thank you.Very useful article.From what i read i'm wandering where some engines don't detect some malware, probably it's because undetected malware is not serious in accordance with the developer.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for finding this! Very interesting reading. Perhaps the most revealing part of the reviewer's conclusions is the following:
However, it is important to keep in mind that Mac OS X already does an admirable job of protecting against malware. At this time, there is no known malware capable of infecting a Mac running a properly-updated version of Mac OS X 10.6 or later, with all security settings left at the default (at a minimum).

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
thank you.Very useful article.From what i read i'm wandering where some engines don't detect some malware, probably it's because undetected malware is not serious in accordance with the developer.

Yes, it is a bit of a Catch 22. If new malware arrives, it will likely not be detected by the AV app because it is not in the app's database yet.

For the unsophisticated user (say maybe your grandma :)), I still think there is some utility in an AV product to serve as an "after the fact" notification that there may be an infection. It is probably not much help as a preventative measure, but as least hopefully it would sound the alarm after an infection so help could be summoned.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Some of the malware used in the test is virtually no threat to the average Mac user. Some threats have been completely nullified by OS X built-in protection. Still, it's interesting reading, and like the author said, not to be used as the only criteria for selecting an app, if any.
For the unsophisticated user (say maybe your grandma :)), I still think there is some utility in an AV product to serve as an "after the fact" notification that there may be an infection. It is probably not much help as a preventative measure, but as least hopefully it would sound the alarm after an infection so help could be summoned.
This is the most reasonable justification I've heard for installing an AV app on OS X.

tzus

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2008
UK

A thoroughly good review and well worth noting.

cpuin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
I'll transform my question to "Does anybody use Internet Security suite?If so, which and what are his/her impressions"?

Nov 28, 2010
located
I'll transform my question to "Does anybody use Internet Security suite?If so, which and what are his/her impressions"?

There are probably users of such software out there, even if there is no actual need for a human using common sense and a bit of computer literacy.

I, and many others, do not use such software or suites though, but then again, I a know my way around a computer (not everything, but the basics and some) and know, not to install something I did not download or give away my password for every prompt that comes up.

Make sure to read that FAQ Mister GGJstudios linked you to, in order to learn how to live without such software. If that is too much (understandable, I can drive a car but not repair its motor), use ClamXav instead of some paid software.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
But during the time it becomes known, it can create horror for many business' and users.
Not likely. News travels faster than malware. Even with the Flashback trojan, which wasn't initially recognized by most AV apps as malware, only about 1% of Mac users were affected. In most cases, news gets out, people are warned and Apple provides defenses before more than a very small users are affected, if any at all.

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA

Wow, ClamX took a beating and Sophos faired well... go figure!

cpuin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
From all opinions here i can conclude that we're talking about same thing, but you can't or don't want to understand me.

I know very well what to do in order to protect my Mac w/out using such a software.And i do it.Another thing is when somebody have to take decision how to protect Macs using by unskilled users!!!In this case is better to use such a suite which provide with automatic protection.For instance ESET Cybersecurity Pro for Mac has a firewall which can work in Automatic mode.In this mode it deny all uninitiated incomming connection.It scans torrents, check mails for Windows malware etc.In cases like this i thing that using such a software has sense.

Based on this i would like to know which is better.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I know very well what to do in order to protect my Mac w/out using such a software.And i do it.Another thing is when somebody have to take decision how to protect Macs using by unskilled users!!!In this case is better to use such a suite which provide with automatic protection.For instance ESET Cybersecurity Pro for Mac has a firewall which can work in Automatic mode.In this mode it deny all uninitiated incomming connection.It scans torrents, check mails for Windows malware etc.In cases like this i thing that using such a software has sense.

Based on this i would like to know which is better.
There is no need to use a 3rd party firewall, as OS X has a built-in firewall that works quite effectively. OS X also has built-in protection against malware, whether it's downloaded or comes vial email. In addition, many of the 3rd party antivirus apps also automatically scan emails and downloaded files. There is no need to use a security suite, which usually comes at the cost of increased resource demands and reduced performance.

In addition, "unskilled users" should NOT be messing with torrents, as many torrent files have been proven to contain malware. You cannot rely on security apps to protect against all malware, as their detection rates are less than 100%.

cpuin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
There is no need to use a 3rd party firewall, as OS X has a built-in firewall that works quite effectively. OS X also has built-in protection against malware, whether it's downloaded or comes vial email. In addition, many of the 3rd party antivirus apps also automatically scan emails and downloaded files. There is no need to use a security suite, which usually comes at the cost of increased resource demands and reduced performance.

In addition, "unskilled users" should NOT be messing with torrents, as many torrent files have been proven to contain malware. You cannot rely on security apps to protect against all malware, as their detection rates are less than 100%.

I don't thing that the unskilled users know how to set up properly the build-in firewall.Regarding build-in protection against malware i doubt it detects everything (incl.windows viruses etc.), it doesn't perform proactive detection which is the most important part of the antivirus software.

GGJstudios, i could tell you that following your logic i don't need antivirus for Windows neither.I know what i do and with build-in firewall, with no-administrative account and with more working brain there should be no problem.

I remind that the purpose of this tread is not to argue should we use or not AV or Internet security but which is better according to the users who use.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I don't thing that the unskilled users know how to set up properly the build-in firewall.
All they have to do is turn it on. No setup is required. Then, when prompted whether to allow an app access to the internet, click Block or Allow. It's quite simple.

Regarding build-in protection against malware i doubt it detects everything (incl.windows viruses etc.),
Windows malware is not a threat to Mac OS X. Using apps such as ClamXav or other 3rd party apps will catch Windows malware.

it doesn't perform proactive detection which is the most important part of the antivirus software.
Yes, it does. If you download an infected file, the built-in Mac protection will prevent infection.

GGJstudios, i could tell you that following your logic i don't need antivirus for Windows neither.
Some will argue that you don't. However, there's a difference in the Windows and Mac malware environment, in that unlike OS X, there are viruses in the wild that affect Windows. A user can't effectively defend against a virus simply by practicing safe computing, as they can with other forms of malware.

with no-administrative account
There is no security advantage in running a non admin user account on OS X. Admin accounts are the default for a single user Mac, and it's perfectly fine to use.
I remind that the purpose of this tread is not to argue should we use or not AV or Internet security but which is better according to the users who use.
I keep answering your question, but you don't seem to understand the answer. The choices are as follows:

• First choice: Practice safe computing and don't run any 3rd party security app.
  • Second choice: Practice safe computing and run a lightweight antivirus app that doesn't place a heavy demand on system resources, yet detects Mac (and Windows, if you prefer) malware.
  • Last choice: Practice safe computing and install a resource-hogging security suite which isn't necessary. It doesn't matter which of the suites you choose, as none of them are ideal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.