Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Hi folks,

Has anyone noticed issues with things like Facebook and Google+ since upgrading to 6.1?

The issue that specifically bothers is when saving pics within the FB app.

Sometimes when I click on them, the phone freezes for ages and often it bombs out of the app completely.

The G+ app also feels a bit more sluggish too.

Generally it doesn't feel as stable to me in all of my apps.

Any ideas?

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Hi folks,

Has anyone noticed issues with things like Facebook and Google+ since upgrading to 6.1?

The issue that specifically bothers is when saving pics within the FB app.

Sometimes when I click on them, the phone freezes for ages and often it bombs out of the app completely.

The G+ app also feels a bit more sluggish too.

Generally it doesn't feel as stable to me in all of my apps.

Any ideas?

both apps fully updated? just delete the Facebook and Google+ app and reinstall them that should fix the problem

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
both apps fully updated? just delete the Facebook and Google+ app and reinstall them that should fix the problem

Yeah, done that. G+ seems better but not so much FB. *Sigh*

Looks like it could be a setup as new job. Was dreading that, have lots of photos I wanted to stay on the phone.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Yeah, done that. G+ seems better but not so much FB. *Sigh*

Looks like it could be a setup as new job. Was dreading that, have lots of photos I wanted to stay on the phone.

Facebook just released a update today fixing bugs

lucastatic

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
Out of curiosity did you upgrade to iOS 6.1 OTA (over the air, as in from the device itself over wifi) or did you do it using iTunes?

I have a sneaking suspicion that OTA updates aren't as 'clean' as iTunes updates, and can lead to all sorts of anomalous problems akin to what you're currently experiencing.

a646900688

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Well, you should be your device through the upgrade of the OTA ~ do not know why, equipment upgrade will appear a lot of problems. But with the iTunes recovery to download firmware will not exist these problems.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
What's there not to trust? It does the same thing as iTunes except you aren't plugging in to the computer. You shouldn't trust iTunes if you don't trust OTAs.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
all OTA updates i have done with my iPhone have went flawlessly, im perfectly fine doing OTA updates

----------

I only ever update via itunes. Don't trust OTA.

how are your apps now? did what i tell you help at all?

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
After having my 3GS replaced under warranty (sound issues) at my local Apple store, I updated OTA from iOS 6 to 6.1 and it went fine.

Is there really any difference between updating OTA versus doing it via iTunes?

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
After having my 3GS replaced under warranty (sound issues) at my local Apple store, I updated OTA from iOS 6 to 6.1 and it went fine.

Is there really any difference between updating OTA versus doing it via iTunes?

Not really

LaynieGorilla

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2011
PA
I heard that the iTunes version wipes the iOS of and replaces it with the new iOS as where the the OTA version only slaps the new things on. But keep in mind I've only HEARD this. Don't know how true it is.

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
I heard that the iTunes version wipes the iOS of and replaces it with the new iOS as where the the OTA version only slaps the new things on. But keep in mind I've only HEARD this. Don't know how true it is.

Dont worry its true ... and thats the way OTA and full restores are supposed to work :)

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009

No it is not true. OTA updates are delta updates which means it will only update the files that have changed since the previous release. Once updated, the system files will be the exact same no matter which way you update it. If they weren't the same as the full version that iTunes uses, then the update would fail every time.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
There has been a further update to FB and its been much better since. Seems the apps are catching back up again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.