Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metalfab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
I've been through a few cases/bumpers/skins now.

iFace (iFake) case (black)
Didn't take into account that the back had an arc that was annoying when typing with one hand on a flat surface. Turns out it was a fake anyway. Unable to return.

SwitchEasy Tones case (grey/black)
About as minimal as you can get besides a plastic snap-in case. Decent build quality and the power/volume buttons line up as they should. Lightning port/headphone jack area is perfect as it allows protection as well as accessibility.

Spigen Neo Hybrid EX Slim bumper (black on black).
The Power button fit is tolerable but the Volume placement is amateur. This for a $30 item. Maybe they should spend less time with their naming conventions and more time with the product quality. Unable to return. In fairness it was a 2for1 with the EasySwitch above.

Tech21 bumper (smoke/orange).
The lightning port/headphone jack area of the bumper is flimsy. Took the item back.

Ghost Armour skin (Black carbon) plus a fantastic matte finish screen protector.
Looks great, won't survive much of a fall. After 3 years of no scratches/drops I managed to get 2 small nicks on the edge near the volume buttons (where the skin does not cover of course!)

Lesson learned. The SwitchEasy tones is back on and staying put.

(not my photo)

SWE-IP5-TNS-PC-BLK-O_IMG01_500.jpg

Last edited:

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
For my money then best bumper case is the Spigen Linear EX Metal Slim Case for $22. Perfect fit and buttons are excellent.

SoLongAndroid

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
For my money then best bumper case is the Spigen Linear EX Metal Slim Case for $22. Perfect fit and buttons are excellent.

This is what I am using with a Wrapsol Back protector and a Power Support screen protector. The volume buttons actually "click". The power button is not as firm so what I did was cut a tiny piece of masking tape and put in on the inside part of the power button. It now clicks really really easy, but not that sensitive where simply touching it would turn it on.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I've been through a few cases/bumpers/skins now.

iFace (iFake) case (black)
Didn't take into account that the back had an arc that was annoying when typing with one hand on a flat surface. Turns out it was a fake anyway. Unable to return.

EasySwitch Tones case (grey/black)
About as minimal as you can get besides a plastic snap-in case. Decent build quality and the power/volume buttons line up as they should. Lightning port/headphone jack area is perfect as it allows protection as well as accessibility.

Spigen Neo Hybrid EX Slim bumper (black on black).
The Power button fit is tolerable but the Volume placement is amateur. This for a $30 item. Maybe they should spend less time with their naming conventions and more time with the product quality. Unable to return. In fairness it was a 2for1 with the EasySwitch above.

Tech21 bumper (smoke/orange).
The lightning port/headphone jack area of the bumper is flimsy. Took the item back.

Ghost Armour skin (Black carbon) plus a fantastic matte finish screen protector.
Looks great, won't survive much of a fall. After 3 years of no scratches/drops I managed to get 2 small nicks on the edge near the volume buttons (where the skin does not cover of course!)

Lesson learned. The EasySwitch tones is back on and staying put.

(not my photo)

I'm with you on the Tones case. It is the best that I've found for the iPhone 5; tried the Sheer Candy Grip and the Slim Armor...and countless types for my 4, 4S and 3's.

I like the all around protection, the look and the slimness of it. With the case on, it is just a bit thicker than a bare 4S.

Has a nice feel to it. I'm leaving mine on too. If you take it off, follow SwitchEasy's recommendations and remove from the SIM card side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.