Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which ipad, ignoring price

• Ipad with retina display

Votes: 84 60.4%
  • Ipad mini

Votes: 55 39.6%

• Total voters

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Cost wasn't a factor for me...originally bought me and my girlfriend two iPad 4s, a week later returned them for 2 iPad MINIs... :)

We use them for literally everything...they have been flawless

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
I absolutely love the mini. The only thing I would change is the processor. Well, I would really have liked a flash on the back camera and the 128gb storage.

LJSurfa

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2013
I went with the 4 because Its a nice big beautiful retina screen. Plus it's nice and powerful.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I absolutely love the mini.
I waited for ages, then finally Apple brought out the mini. I too really like the size, it's just a shame Apple got cheap with the display.

My iPad Mini's got a 1024 x 768 resolution to my Nexus 7's 1200 x 800, and the iPad Mini 162 PPI pixel density doesn't hold a candle to the Nexus 7's 216 PPI display.

Even though I already had my Nexus, I was hoping the mini would suffice. The good news is my iPad 4 proves what Apple's capable of. Being one to learn from their mistakes I'm sure the upcoming mini refresh will be the one to have.

I can't wait :)

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Start to give in for the mini now. Just try it at store playing Infinity Blade 2, it silky smooth. I dont play many games on my Ipad 2 because some games require you to hold the ipad for a long time eg. Street fighter x tekken, spiderman, dark knight rises. Its just too heavy.

I might decide to sell my and get a 32g mini.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
I waited for ages, then finally Apple brought out the mini. I too really like the size, it's just a shame Apple got cheap with the display.

My iPad Mini's got a 1024 x 768 resolution to my Nexus 7's 1200 x 800, and the iPad Mini 162 PPI pixel density doesn't hold a candle to the Nexus 7's 216 PPI display.

Even though I already had my Nexus, I was hoping the mini would suffice. The good news is my iPad 4 proves what Apple's capable of. Being one to learn from their mistakes I'm sure the upcoming mini refresh will be the one to have.

Diva much? :) The screen is very nice on the mini. I tried the Nexus and it sucked.

ougum

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
Price was not an issue with me either. I've gone back and forth between the 4 and the mini. Had the text been larger on the mini It would have been an easy choice. I returned my 32gb iPad 4 LTE and settled on the 64gb ipad mini LTE. I carry my iPad with me everywhere. I just needed a smaller pad. The iPad 4 is king of the hill no doubt, but the mini is a great machine. I can afford any iPad I'd like. It's the mini for this old guy.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
Its situational, traveling or moving around the house then its the mini. Propped up on a desk then its the retina.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Diva much? :) The screen is very nice on the mini. I tried the Nexus and it sucked.
"It sucked".

Now there's a highly intelligent way of expressing ones self. Ambiguous & meaningless, it's completely irrelevant. Those who've actually spent the money, choose wisely and spend some time learning about what they purchase, before they decide. Giving up after such a short time is indicative of an impulse purchase. Those never end well.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
"It sucked".

Now there's a highly intelligent way of expressing ones self. Ambiguous & meaningless, it's completely irrelevant. Those who've actually spent the money, choose wisely and spend some time learning about what they purchase, before they decide. Giving up after such a short time is indicative of an impulse purchase. Those never end well.

Actually, no, it was not an impulse buy. I had a Galaxy S phone and hated Android from that experience. I decided to try the Nexus because there was so much said nice about it. I used it for two weeks, but I couldn't get over how few true tablet apps there were for it. The number of pixels don't mean anything if they are not being used. Just because a monitor can do 1080p, if you're watching something at 800x600, the pixel number and density does nothing for you.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA

Yeah but at least with the mini resolution, all the iPad apps work flawlessly since the iPad 2 is the same resolution. You're stuck with crap apps on the nexus that may or may not be tablet optimized.

----------

"It sucked".

You're telling him how to spend money? At least he now knows what he likes and doesn't like. I too tried the nexus and for my needs, IT SUCKED.

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
For me it wasn't about money either.

It was all about the weight. As someone mentioned it earlier, regular size iPad is way to heavy for long sessions.

When in bed trying to read you end up putting the iPad in your lap, and either fighting to get it vertical, or bending yourself. With the mini you can read for hours and never care for getting tired.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
For me it wasn't about money either.

It was all about the weight. As someone mentioned it earlier, regular size iPad is way to heavy for long sessions.

When in bed trying to read you end up putting the iPad in your lap, and either fighting to get it vertical, or bending yourself. With the mini you can read for hours and never care for getting tired.

So how light would you need it to be?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
iPad mini for me, if they were both the same price - its a no brainer for me. I needed a smaller tablet and the mini fits the bill.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
The mini for me because it's all about the form factor. What I'd love to know is that if the mini had retina and the full sized had the "mini treatment" and was thinner and lighter, which people would choose (assuming they were the same price).

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
The mini for me because it's all about the form factor. What I'd love to know is that if the mini had retina and the full sized had the "mini treatment" and was thinner and lighter, which people would choose (assuming they were the same price).
Then it would probably just be about screen size
And weight preference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.