Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LastMinuteMike

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
Verge post includes additional mock-up.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/3/39...-should-be-like-part-ii-feedback-incorporated

So this is the second part of this post: http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/17/3887038/rethinking-the-app-switcher-for-ios-7-mock-ups

I'm currently sick and have no energy so I'm just going to post the mock-ups with minimal info.

The biggest complaint with the last concept that you only saw one app at the time vs. four in iOS 6. In this new version I've addressed that. I've also dumbed down the music controls, and while I want to fix it up now, I don't have the energy so you'll have to settle with the dumb version.

OLD:

Cut-The-Rope-Main.png

NEW:
Multitasking-App-Drawer.png

As you can see, the icons have been moved down to their own row, very much like the current implementation. You can obviously swipe between the apps, and tapping the icons will bring you straight to the belonging app. There you go, four apps instead of one.

Multitasking-App-Drawer-Music-Controls.png

As mentioned in the previous post, the app switcher would be activated through a swipe from the bottom of the screen. To get to the music controls you would simply swipe a bit longer and they pop up. You don't need any extra taps or gesture, just extend the swipe and there you go, crazy fast fluid access.

Multitasking-Four-App-Grid.png

Choice is nice. So when you're in the app switcher and make a pinch gesture, the windows arrange from showing only one, to four. No need for any settings, just pinch, the next time you activate the app switcher your preference will be remembered and you'll see the four apps.

Multitasking-Four-App-Grid-Music-Controls-Alt-2.png

Music controls in this mode.

Multitasking-Four-App-Grid-Settings.png

Quick settings would be brought up by swiping right on the music controls, or perhaps by extending the swipe gesture even further, I don't know. You tell me what you think the best idea would be. Ignore all the Wi-Fi icons, I didn't bother making all the freaking icons.

Feedback please, and I don't want that douchebag to come and say screenshots makes people want to shut down apps, seriously.

Last edited:

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
The one with four windows showing is the best as it allows for more apps to be displayed at once. I like the design too because it's akin to Lion OS X's Mission Control.

jinkoh

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Pinching is an awkward gesture, and can't really be done one handed. Pinching essentially requires one hand holding the phone and another doing the pinching - not a good way for an app switcher to work.

I think the 4 app grid should just be the default. Why have less visible when you can have more?

LastMinuteMike

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
Pinching is an awkward gesture, and can't really be done one handed. Pinching essentially requires one hand holding the phone and another doing the pinching - not a good way for an app switcher to work.

I think the 4 app grid should just be the default. Why have less visible when you can have more?

Did you even read it? It would be done ONE TIME, ONE TIME, ONE TIME. Then the apps always would display four by four. It's instead of having a setting for it in the Settings app.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
If the question is "does this look good?" then yes, good job. You've made some great mock-ups.

But if the question is "why doesn't Apple do this?" then I'd have to say that it looks similar to WebOS and it's likely that HP owns patents on this kind of interface. I'm no lawyer, so darned if I know, but I have to assume that the minefield of Apple patents that hinder the other companies also work in reverse, too.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I'm sorry, but I don't like it. I mean it looks okay I guess, but what's the point? Why would one need to see what is currently open in other apps while switching? When I switch to other apps via the switcher, it's because, well, I want to use another app. And I know what app I want to use. The preview cards aren't even big enough to quickly get some info (like text) because the image is too small to read anything. This would be just a fancy but unneccessary feature IMO.

mittencuh

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
Colorado Springs
This is wonderful. Apple would be wise to hire you as a consultant.

----------

If the question is "does this look good?" then yes, good job. You've made some great mock-ups.

But if the question is "why doesn't Apple do this?" then I'd have to say that it looks similar to WebOS and it's likely that HP owns patents on this kind of interface. I'm no lawyer, so darned if I know, but I have to assume that the minefield of Apple patents that hinder the other companies also work in reverse, too.

I'm guessing if HP do have the patent on this that they wouldn't mind Apple paying a couple bucks to license or acquire it, seeing as they are making no money off of webOS anymore.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Not sure why we need the app icons too. Isn't a screenshot of where you were last time you accessed the app enough? It's not as if you look and think, "umm, what app is that?" The individual user knows what apps they have on their device. Hence I feel there should be no app icons in the multitasking area. Nice mockup though!

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
Swipe from bottom wouldn't be good to reveal multitasking. How about when you swipe from the bottom to scroll a list/website? That would reveal the multitasking bar. That's why double-clicking the home-button is the best way.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Swipe from bottom wouldn't be good to reveal multitasking. How about when you swipe from the bottom to scroll a list/website? That would reveal the multitasking bar. That's why double-clicking the home-button is the best way.

Uh, what?

LastMinuteMike

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012

First it would be an optional gesture like on the iPad. Secondly, I never swipe from the bottom, maybe some do, but I'm guessing most don't, so this won't pose a problem.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Now go and present this to Apple how the person who designed the magnifying dock icons did. Go in for an interview, have it go really bad, sit in the lobby, have an Apple employee walk by (Steve Jobs in this guys case) ask if he would just look at one of your designs, then get hired on the spot.

I like it. I've seen quite a few designs on how the app switcher should really be and this ranks up there.

Last edited:

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
First it would be an optional gesture like on the iPad. Secondly, I never swipe from the bottom, maybe some do, but I'm guessing most don't, so this won't pose a problem.

Does anyone swipe from the bottom? I think swiping from the bottom needs to be implemented for multitasking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.