Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simsaladimbamba

Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
located
Hello,

I was just about to embark reading one of those guides, but got greeted by this:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_NAMESPACE, expecting T_STRING in /home/guides/public_html/includes/Namespace.php on line 47

It does not happen with any specific guide, but with several I have tested, even the category pages get that error, though the Mac Guides frontpage is still visible.

I tested it in Safari 5.0.5 and Opera 12.13 and Firefox 18 and Chrome 24.0.1312.57, all in Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Is it due to some change with the layout?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
We are aware of the problem and contacting the admins to fix it. It's also affecting the FAQ and rules pages as well.

Thanks, :)

simsaladimbamba

Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
located
We are aware of the problem and contacting the admins to fix it. It's also affecting the FAQ and rules pages as well.

Thanks, :)

Right, they use the same underlying system, from its looks. But I guess the guides get more read than the FAQ and rules anyway, and those are not read that often I guess.

Do you know, or anyone else working here, if the guides will ever become update with a newer software, that makes writing a guide as easy as writing a post? I specifically ask, because I use lots of formatting (INDENTs are the love of my virtual life) and sometimes some pictures I took with my Sony Ericsson of the screen and rather would like to create a guide in there, but have always been hindered by my laziness to learn a new method for just this, since using the forum tools is so easy compared to guides.

Anyway, thanks for the reply, the moon is down already.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Right, they use the same underlying system, from its looks. But I guess the guides get more read than the FAQ and rules anyway, and those are not read that often I guess.

Do you know, or anyone else working here, if the guides will ever become update with a newer software, that makes writing a guide as easy as writing a post? I specifically ask, because I use lots of formatting (INDENTs are the love of my virtual life) and sometimes some pictures I took with my Sony Ericsson of the screen and rather would like to create a guide in there, but have always been hindered by my laziness to learn a new method for just this, since using the forum tools is so easy compared to guides.

Anyway, thanks for the reply, the moon is down already.

Revamping the Guides section has been talked about, but I'm sorry to report that we haven't gotten any further than talking about it. I can bring it up again and see what they say.

simsaladimbamba

Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
located
Revamping the Guides section has been talked about, but I'm sorry to report that we haven't gotten any further than talking about it. I can bring it up again and see what they say.

Thanks, and if I knew anything about such software I would gladly help, since I would like to use those more, but I am unable to even write a Hello World in True Pascal or whatever that language was we used to learn back in the 90s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.