Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robj80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Apologies for making my first post a question / complaint!

Received my 2012 imac in early December and had no issues at all until this week. The mac went to sleep as normal and a couple of hours later it was completely unresponsive. No fans, noises or lights.

Unfortunately it appears to be some sort of hardware / power failure. Has anyone heard of any similar issues?

I have been through the usual steps with technical support and have an appointment to take it to a store today...

Shadow2k

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
You could try a SMC reset, but I doubt that it will fix your problem.

Resetting the SMC for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve

Shut down the computer.
Unplug the computer's power cord.
Wait fifteen seconds.
Attach the computer's power cord.
Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

bratman91

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2013
Mountain Lion seems to be particularly prone to problems in waking from sleep (just do a search of various forums and you will see how widespeead this is). If your iMac is the latest model (ie without any optical drive), then it might be worth setting it to never go to sleep. I have mine set this way and, after it has been idle for a little while, it stays very cold so I cannot see that it is using much power at all.

Robj80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Thanks for your suggestions guys.

Unfortunately it seems the machine won't respond to anything whatsoever, so I'm unable to change any settings etc. I'll give it one last try this evening though.

I contacted Tech Support again and they referred me to a local store, who agreed it seems to be faulty and suggested it would be easier for me to take up the issue again over the phone - apparently it might have been easier for me to ask for a replacement that way as the purchase was made online.

Spoke to them again this morning and a replacement machine is not an option apparently, so I have to take the machine back to the shop again and ask / wait for it to be repaired... Not ideal considering it's not even two months old!

danneale

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
I too apologise a complaint is my first post!

However, I am having exactly the same problem. In Dec my new iMac arrived and after just over a week the computer went off and would not restart until unplugged. But then, after a few minutes would turn off again. As this was within 14 days of purchase I called Apple and they sent out a replacement...

All good right...

However, now I have had the replacement for just over 1 week... the issue has started again...

I am either very unlucky that I have been sent two dud computers, or there is something else going on, such as a fault with the design.

I had a old white iMac plugged into to same devices and same power sources and I never turned that off for about 6 months. No problems at all. So at the moment I think I can rule out an issue with power in my house.

Really frustrating that this has happened. Unlikely that they will replace the replacement, which means I need to try and get an appointment at the Apple Store to take it in... Seems like I will be without my computer for some time until this is sorted.

I am calling support tonight to speak to them and see what they will do. I will let you know if I get any information that might help others on here.

Robj80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Does your imac come back on after removing the plug / cable?

That doesn't work for me. Mine appears completely dead and has been this way since the fault initially occurred.

I was quoted the 14 day buyer remorse policy earlier today myself upon my request for a replacement. My argument was that it's not buyer remorse at all - I don't want a refund, I want a working machine. For the mac to die on me before two months has passed is unreasonable, and the goods clearly aren't fit for purpose. The 14 day rule still applies though, unfortunately...

danneale

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
It only comes back on if I remove the cable, then hold down the power button on the back for 15 seconds then plug it back in. However, it only stays on for a few seconds before it goes off again... Absolute nightmare.

I also just want a working machine, was excited to get this new super thin iMac... but has been nothing but hassel since it arrived.

Sweet Life

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
Yet another first post complaint:

I had the same problem - new 21.5 iMac worked fine for about 3 weeks then wouldn't wake up one morning. Got it to power up after pressing power switch multiple times. Worked all day, but then the problem repeated the following morning, and this time I could not get it to power up again. I took it to my local Genius Bar and was immediately offered a new machine in stock.

But once they learned it was a custom order, I was told that they would give me a gift card in the value of a new iMac with the same specs and that I should go home and order a new one. I wasn't very happy with this - Why should I have to go through the hassle of re-ordering a computer for what was essentially an exchange of a defective product? So the store manager took care of the re-order (and applied a $50 gift card to it as compensation for the hassle), but I have to wait 2-3 weeks for delivery.

I am pleased they offered a replacement, but annoyed at the long delay in getting it and at the convoluted and inefficient way they have of handling exchanges. I hope my replacement iMac arrives sooner than predicted and that this power issue isn't a recurring problem.

Robj80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Maybe I should feel lucky that mine lasted as long as 6-7 weeks in that case!!

The lad at the Genius Bar indicated to me he would offer a replacement if he had any in stock... which is in stark contrast to the two guys I spoke to on the phone earlier, who stated this was not an option.

Highly frustrating.

Robj80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Just by way of an update - I ran through the whole issue again with another person at the store on my second appointment on Saturday and he looked as puzzled as the first. He disappeared for a while and came back to offer me a replacement machine, which was gratefully accepted...

Unfortunately the replacement had quite a few scratches, so I went back to the Apple store the same day and they swapped it for another new one.

Third time lucky hopefully!

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Apple is loosing money...with all those replacement ..maybe they have to be more carefully from now on

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.