Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
watched Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince...

How was it? :)

Well I am currently off work so watching TV and movies is occupiing much of my day.

Right now watching Wargames. I love this movie (remember seeing it when it was first on home video in about 1984/5) - Its cheezey but still a great film.

I remember that as an entertaining movie.

My Fair Lady (1964)- Wow, what a movie if you like Audry Hepburn, Rex Harrison, Stanley Holloway, and musicals. ;)

MV5BMjA5MTEzMzE4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDAzMTUyMg@@._V1_SY317_CR6,0,214,317_.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Watched "The Maltese Falcon" on TCM on Saturday by accident. Still fun to watch even though I can mouth some of the words...

That is a great movie - dark, elegant, timeless, with a terrific cast playing nicely ambivalent characters set in a sufficiently complex and morally nuanced story. And what wonderful acting and cinematography........

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I won't rave much about Django for the moment, since I did exactly that after watching Inglorious Basterds and am nowadays hardly tempted to watch it again. But boy, it was an epic ride!

Quite different, brilliant nonetheless - yet very uncomfortable to watch - The Silence by Bergmann.

saporiti

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2013
Portugal
Seven Psichopaths.

Just... great. Brilliant. Very good performance from the 3 main characters, funny different... I don't know. I just know I can't explain what the movie was about, it's hard to explain the hole plot!

Really advise to see!

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Silver Lining Playbook. Loved it. Amazing acting, amazing movie, very touching.

A friend of mine saw it and said pretty much the same as you did. You think it's a must see on the big picture?

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I think Daniel Day Lewis is a scary good actor. Incredibly intense. I'll see "Lincoln" just to see him.

And if you haven't seen it, run, do not walk, and get "There Will Be Blood". Extremely disturbing movie! He is truly unbelievable in that film. Frighteningly intense and he creates a character with brilliance. It is definitely not a feel good movie...but I think one of the most brilliant films I've seen.

First off thanks a lot for the tip, you really did understate just how good he was in "There will be blood".
It is often said that Hollywood is only good for special effects movies now days, well this proves them wrong. It truly does rank among the great films.

On another note I saw Lore at the Rotterdam Film Festival.

Director Cate Shortland, and a cast of relative unknowns. Saskia Rosendahl Kai Malina, Nele Trebs, Ursina Lardi, Hans-Jochen Wagner, Mika, Seidel André Frid. Told a very moving story about coming of age, in one of the most turbulent periods of European history.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
First off thanks a lot for the tip, you really did understate just how good he was in "There will be blood".
It is often said that Hollywood is only good for special effects movies now days, well this proves them wrong. It truly does rank among the great films.

Director Cate Shortland, and a cast of relative unknowns. Saskia Rosendahl Kai Malina, Nele Trebs, Ursina Lardi, Hans-Jochen Wagner, Mika, Seidel André Frid. Told a very moving story about coming of age, in one of the most turbulent periods of European history.

Daniel Day Lewis is scary good in that film...no doubt. The whole film, all it's aspects, is scary good. Definitely one of the most disturbing and intense films I've ever seen.

I will watch for "Lore" and watch it when it comes up on one of my Premium movie stations (yes, I'm still cabled).:p

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

That sounds absolutely fascinating; I'll definitely keep an eye out for it and thanks for drawing my attention to it.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
A friend of mine saw it and said pretty much the same as you did. You think it's a must see on the big picture?

Not sure about your area but it's not showing at many cinemas around me so I watched it online (but I will get a legit copy when it's released). It should be fine to just rent it, but certainly see it in some shape or form, you won't regret it :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Fried Green Tomatoes (1991) love this movie about the early 20th Century U.S. South, including the currents of racism, although this was not the primary focus. As a rule I love movies about the South including The Long Hot Summer, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Last Picture Show, The Chase, Gone with the Wind, and The Flim Flam Man. :D

MV5BMTUyMjYxODg0NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTU4MzU5._V1_SY317_CR2,0,214,317_.jpg

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
The 2 Sherlock Holmes flicks on BluRay.

Again.

I think this makes it nearly a dozen times since I got the discs last year sometime. Hoping they make another sequel with the same director.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Two Marvels: Capt. America and Hulk by Ang Lee.

While the first was a waste of time, the latter was just great. Shows that a good story / plot and interesting screenplay can make more than up for older (not bad) CGI. While the Capt. proves that the reverse ain't working too well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.