Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pocketpenguin

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
How do you find out the screen brand on a 13" rmbp? I just bought one and all I get when I run the above long command is:

Code:
$ ioreg -lw0 | grep "IODisplayEDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6
@.`0 6
Color LCD

When I run the short command I get:
Code:
$ ioreg -lw0 | grep -i "DisplayVendorID"
    | | | | | |       "DisplayVendorID" = 1552

Last edited:

Jedi

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
LG here , and so far , condition nominal.

Purchased date: 12/15/12 : Week 49 build date.

I have no idea what the future will hold :rolleyes: .

While I`m posting ( not to ambush this thread... but ) , I called Apple Support tonight trying to find a way to get Game Center to accept a nick name.
No luck... , I never had much faith in Apple Support , the person read off a "cheat sheet" and really had no idea how to solve the problem.

If there is anyone reading this that has a solution , please post or PM me.

Many thanks in advance :D

Later :)

Gary 

dsc888

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Boston, MA USA
YES! They all are based on what everyone is reporting and what I ended up getting. I got an LG back in late November. I had no IR but uneven brightness left to right. They swapped it with the ONLY one replacement screen Apple allows and it's the Samsung panel.

Instead of sending it back to get another LG, the Genius replaced it on the spot in 45 minutes! They had them in stock. What does that tell you!

I saw over on the Apple Support Communities that someone said all replacement screens installed by the Genius Bars are Samsung screens, can anyone confirm this?

jfriedman8

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
leave a finder window open on a grey wallpaper for few minutes, you will see problems. It is not really visible on normal wallpaper.

I had my LG replaced to Samsung in December at apple store.

Part of me wants to try this, and part of me wants nothing to do with this for the sake of not having it for a few days to get it replaced.... decisions decisions.

Jedi

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
Even though I have an LG display , unless I start having problems , I don`t plan on getting the screen replaced.

Reasoning :

Say I get the screen replaced and then start to have issues :eek:

If you have an LG screen and there are no issues then thats great.

As you get closer to your 1 year after buy date , run some static screen test.

Or , if you have Apple Care , wait until the screen won`t work anymore !!

Later :D

Gary 

2010 Mac Mini + 2012 MBP-R ( 256 GB )

miclar1

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2013
Mine is a 15" rMBP / 2.7GHz* / 16GB / 784GB / Production Week 41.
The LG screen, serial # DCN238xxx is still faultless after 2 1/2 months of extensive use.

Soulweaponry

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010
Apparently i got an LG, but no IR, ghosting or dead pixels on mine. Looks perfect. If i get applecare and something happens to the screen within 3 years, i'm covered right?

anarti

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Scotland
have you done image retention tests on your LG screen?

desktop wallpaper should be set to grey, try to leave any window open there for 50-10 minutes, if it doesnt have a IR, you can say you're lucky:)

mine had it after 3 minutes:)

airmaxx28

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013
Florida
Does this apply to the to the 13 inch retina models too? I paste the command into to terminal and nothing comes up. Or do all the 13 inch models come with a samsung display?

Jedi

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
I am still using my LG based MBP-R as I normally would do.

I have my brightness set to a little more than half ( I don`t need it any brighter ) , I have ran a few static test , ( very minor such as dark and bright backgrounds , then gone to a grey screen ) and I have not noticed any abnormalities.

I do believe it would be true IF you { I } left the display on one screen for more than 45 minutes , then IR would happen.

However , given that statement , why cause a display to fail ? True enough you want to make sure that you have NO IR , I got that. But I truly believe you could make any display fail under the wrong conditions.

The very construction of an LCD based display dictates that care during use must be taken and that any abuse may cause or will cause issues.

I am not defending Apple`s use of a known defective screen , just stating the facts as I know them.

As my history and knowledge of HD displays , both Plasma and LCD based , the end user can cause a failure just as easy as a defective display can show a failure.

It is just as easy to break something as it is to have an "out - of - the - box" defect. I am no expert , but fact and fact of design dictate my reasoning.

Thank you all for your input and even though I may continue to notice nothing , it is a very real possibility that IR will present itself in the future.

I wish you all , both Samsung and LG owners the very best of use and will continue to monitor this thread and post any abnormalities that I personally experience.

Take care , later :D

Gary 

dpo

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2008
I have heard this problem has been 'fixed' on all displays, i.e. if I buy now there should be no problems regardless of which panel is in use. Or is this just a good sales tactic? :)

walkie

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
I just received my BTO 15" rMBP and has a Samsung panel, and couldn't be happier :cool:, this thing is lightening fast and the screen is awesome!.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Apparently i got an LG, but no IR, ghosting or dead pixels on mine. Looks perfect. If i get applecare and something happens to the screen within 3 years, i'm covered right?

Yes, that would be covered.

Does this apply to the to the 13 inch retina models too? I paste the command into to terminal and nothing comes up. Or do all the 13 inch models come with a samsung display?

Apple uses LG and Samsung displays in the 13" model, but no one has figured out a script to identify the manufacturer.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
leave a finder window open on a grey wallpaper for few minutes, you will see problems. It is not really visible on normal wallpaper.

I had my LG replaced to Samsung in December at apple store.

As I've maintained all along, if you have to perform such specific steps to reproduce it, it's not a problem.

If I drive my car at 80mph in reverse in the middle of summer, it will overheat. That's not a problem. If it overheats doing 70 down the freeway, that's a problem.

Young Turk

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2002
The command some of you guys are using for the 15" rMBP won't work. That's why you're getting "Color LCD" as a result. The proper command for the 15" rMBP greps "EDID" and not "IODisplayEDID". See the command and it's output below.

For fun, also try this command and post your result:

I have a Samsung and it returns 1552. What does an LG return?

I'm curious...:D

I used the second command posted here, and it returned "DisplayVendorId" = 1552. Is that Samsung?

This is on a rMacBook Pro 13" 8/256 i5 from the Apple Refurb Store.

rootee

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2013
California
IOREG command NOT working on rMBP 13

Like others have mentioned before, the IOREG command below does NOT work on the 13 inch rMBP.

Code:
$ ioreg -lw0 | grep "IODisplayEDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Anyone know of another way to determine the panel manufacturer on the 13 inch rMBP?

BTW, I also get a DisplayVendorID=1552.

vet

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2011
Vancouver
I had the LG display since last August and was once a believer that my display had no image retention issues. Last month I noticed a slight IR problem that progressively got a worse, each taking longer to disappear. Knowing that this is a well documented issue, I took a few pictures of the problem and booked an appointment at the local apple store. They ran an image persistence test that loaded up a checkerboard pattern on the screen for a few minutes, but my screen didn't show anything therefore passing the test. The genius knew that I had an LG display and swapped out my display regardless of it passing the test. Apple seemed to have identified the issue and are now replacing all retina displays with a Samsung panel. So far the Samsung panel has been just as good as the LG albeit no IR showing.

Soulweaponry

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010
I had the LG display since last August and was once a believer that my display had no image retention issues. Last month I noticed a slight IR problem that progressively got a worse, each taking longer to disappear. Knowing that this is a well documented issue, I took a few pictures of the problem and booked an appointment at the local apple store. They ran an image persistence test that loaded up a checkerboard pattern on the screen for a few minutes, but my screen didn't show anything therefore passing the test. The genius knew that I had an LG display and swapped out my display regardless of it passing the test. Apple seemed to have identified the issue and are now replacing all retina displays with a Samsung panel. So far the Samsung panel has been just as good as the LG albeit no IR showing.

Crap. I have a 2 week old retina with an lg display. God I hope there are no ir issues down the road. Might spring for AppleCare just in case. 3 years of support and sell it for a new one before the 3 years are up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.