Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Hi,

I'm constantly following the "for sale" forum upheld by my local Mac user group, so I dare say I have a finger on the pulse of what's in/out among mac users (over here).

To my slight surprise, there are a whole load of people* out there selling their retina MBP's (mainly 15"), and a quick meta-readthrough points to that many are selling theirs only after a few months of usage...

This raises some questions:
- are you seeing this too (wherever you are)?
- are people now stepping down from 15" to 13" rMBP's?
- are people dissatisfied with their retinas (naturally they won't advertise that)?

RGDS,

* I did not tally the numbers rigorously, but a quick finger count points to that there are more rMBP's on sale than all post 2011 non-retinas together.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Could also be loads of early adopter tech freaks who know figured out that they don't really need such a expensive notebook. I am betting lots of people buy those things but cannot really afford them. After they figure out the retina is nice to have but not really anything one needs their wife forces them to sell it.

Just an added hypothesis.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
After they figure out the retina is nice to have but not really anything one needs their wife forces them to sell it.

:)

Incidentally, I heard from an aquaintence working in a local apple retailer, that the 13" retina is a favorite with women.

RGDS,

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Could be that since the arrival of the new iMac people prefer it. In my case I got tired of waiting for the iMac so I purchased the rMBP. Now that I have it I love it and I will stick with it. :)

chrise2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
That is interesting. I'd figure you'd see a bunch of them for sale if a new version was announced. If you sell a 15" retina, you can only replace it with something less. Or something different I suppose.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'm fully satisfied with my rMBP.

Sure I don't really care for the Retina display since I run it as a non-native 1680x1050, and I would really prefer an anti-glare display.

The advantage of this MacBook Pro is it's lighter and a bit smaller than the regular 15" model, at the same time it is as fast if not faster than the latter.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
I am fully satisfied with my 15" rMBP as well. I always go back and forth between the Native Retina Resolution and 1680x1050, depends on what I am doing.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
I'm completely happy with mine I think some people are immature and get buyers remorse and so they imagine up issues to be dissatisfied with there purchase so they don't have to take responsibility for there decision to buy. My .02

Patrick Boyle

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Western Montana
I can imaging a large number of people are dissatisfied with the way non-retina apps and web content looks on these screens. Not everyone is up on the tech to the point where they can understand WHY not everything looks gorgeous, and that the rest of the world is going to take some time to catch up to these resolutions.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
I think there is a fair number of cases where people get gifted Retina MacBooks either at work... or on their birthdays.

And they find they don't need/want a Retina MacBook, so they throw it up here for sale to get cash instead.

Otherwise, a buyer can return the MacBook and get their money back within around 2 weeks. It makes no sense to sell it on here at a loss.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Could also be loads of early adopter tech freaks who know figured out that they don't really need such a expensive notebook. I am betting lots of people buy those things but cannot really afford them. After they figure out the retina is nice to have but not really anything one needs their wife forces them to sell it.

Just an added hypothesis.

That's my guess. People that ran out and got a $2600 laptop and later figured out they could use a $1199 Air or $1599 Pro to do the same thing.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Once you go retina it's hard to go back. What I see is people going from the 15" rMBP to the 13" rMBP because they're getting closer to the MacBook Air size.

A retina MacBook Air with good battery life seems to be high on many peoples wish list.

Poisonivy326

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
I think after careful consideration of their credit card bills many people realized they didn't need a maxed out, quad-core $2000+ laptop to surf the web, chat on Facebook, read pdf's, work on Office, and upload your instagram photos.:D

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Initial excitement wearing off but the bills still coming in, reality sets in.

Or the Ball&Chain found out, "You spent what???

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
I have to disagree with the OP. People who don't like their rMBPs will wholeheartedly complain on these forums. If you don't hear complaints, there are none (quite a few about the rMBP though).

I do agree with a lot of the posts here. The rMBP is nice, but it is actually expensive, and for basic CPU needs, it is overkill. It is Apple's flagship computer. Do you need Apples flagship computer? I don't, but I am an upgrade every 5-6 years type of guy, so I get the best. I would have been completely satisfied with a base 15" mbp, or a MBA.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
I have to disagree with the OP. People who don't like their rMBPs will wholeheartedly complain on these forums. If you don't hear complaints, there are none (quite a few about the rMBP though).

ob81, nothing to disagree with. I'm simply stating what I see and am not drawing any conclusions.

Or the Ball&Chain found out, "You spent what???

Going OT: I know this is a tech community, so I guess it's to be assumed males are overrepresented. But seriously guys, why do we silently stand by accepting monthly credit card bills on cosmetics, accessories and "that fabulous dress", but when we splurge on something which retains more than 10% of it's value when carried out of the shop, we (again, silently) take a hammering for it?

RGDS,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.