Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppcg4mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
Northwest Kansas
i found this on tonymacx86, someone modded a quicksilver case and discovered this!
I was experimenting with the SMBIOS values while installing Lion and discovered an interesting quirk in Mac OS X that was actually super fun for me. I'm using MacPro5,1 as my system definition, installed from MultiBeast. I thought it would be nice to feed the original Power Mac G4's serial number to the system, just because, and manually entered it into SMBIOS.plist. To my surprise, after doing this, selecting About This Mac/More Info from the Apple menu yields the following screen:

7753200416_4913132fb8_z.jpg

I was amazed by several things with this. First, that Lion apparently bases this screen on the serial number rather than the model identifier, and second that Lion is even capable of decoding the serial number of a 10-year-old PowerPC G4 machine that can't run anything higher than Leopard. Third, that the high-res graphics for the G4 Macs are still included in the OS. Opening System Profiler still identifies it as a MacPro5,1, but I thought this was a neat quirk and a perfect finishing touch for the project. Also, I've never seen this documented anywhere else, and it could be useful for others modding older cases. That's it for today!

strange huh?
original post at bottom.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-g4/28828-project-quicksilver-power-mac-i7-3.html

----------

EDIT
I did a clean installation of Mountain Lion the weekend it launched. I didn't run into any unexpected issues and it seems faster than Lion, although my serial number/model hack no longer works as I can't get the OS to read the serial number from smbios.plist after installing the AppleACPIPlatform rollback needed for the Asus X58 boards. I had the same issue using this fix under 10.7.4... it just identifies as generic Mac Pro and lists the serial number as "System Serial Number." It's purely cosmetic, so I've tabled it for now.

darn

Last edited:

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
What strikes me as most unexpected are the fancy pants graphics for ancient models. I wonder what happens if you put in a serial number for something REALLY old.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Those high resolution graphics are there for any system that can run Leopard. It's because of how Leopard and newer do file sharing. The other Mac shows you a picture of the file server Mac. In this case, Lion is showing the Quicksilver graphic that would normally only be seen when connected to a Quicksilver running Leopard sharing a folder/drive.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Wishful thinking

I will say it again.. Snow Leopard could have been the last OS to run on PowerPC Macs, at least requiring a high end G4(MDD dual 1.42/1.25), G5 series. The G5 Quad and dual core models could have made great use of Grand Central Dispatch.

As far as Lion is concerned? I don't even consider that a true OS since its got itoys apps and layout intertwined. Yes, Snow Leopard should have been the last true Mac OS X to run on PowerPC hardware.

Not impressed any more. :(

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
It looks like AQUADock's theme for Leopard modifies them.

Yep, i was too lazy to change the small size individual graphics in the icon files (so they would appear gray when put in the sidebar) so all the the laptop images are the same. :)

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
I will say it again.. Snow Leopard could have been the last OS to run on PowerPC Macs, at least requiring a high end G4(MDD dual 1.42/1.25), G5 series. The G5 Quad and dual core models could have made great use of Grand Central Dispatch.

As far as Lion is concerned? I don't even consider that a true OS since its got itoys apps and layout intertwined. Yes, Snow Leopard should have been the last true Mac OS X to run on PowerPC hardware.

It will be soon... lubuntu (where my emulator) corrupted a partition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.