Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Hi all, I would like to know if anyone who bought a rMBP and upgraded to OWC SSD has noticed any difference in speed?, how about reliability?, I would be interested if I ever run out of enough space on my rMBP.
Thanks.

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Same here, also shipping to international and how possible warranties are handled.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Well here is some info;

rMBP SSD is made by Samsung with a Samsung SSD Controller which has proved reliable, fast and stable. OWC uses SandForce Controllers which although good, have issues with Macs for some reason.

rw3

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Well here is some info;

rMBP SSD is made by Samsung with a Samsung SSD Controller which has proved reliable, fast and stable. OWC uses SandForce Controllers which although good, have issues with Macs for some reason.

SandForce controllers have issues no matter the computer they are installed in....

Also, rMBP's are now coming with a version of the SanDisk Ultra Plus with the Marvell controller. I've seen a few in customer rMBP's...

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
SandForce controllers have issues no matter the computer they are installed in....

Also, rMBP's are now coming with a version of the SanDisk Ultra Plus with the Marvell controller. I've seen a few in customer rMBP's...

Really? Have pics?

Ive pulled the SSD out of an easy 10 rMBPs both 13" and 15" and only seen Samsung.

rw3

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
No pics....but trust me, I've opened about 10x more than that and they are starting to be a good mixture of the SanDisk and Samsung. Apple is truly trying to sever ties with Samsung in all ways possible. I haven't seen Samsung RAM in a new machine in a while. A lot of Hynix and Elpida....

I have a refurb coming in for a customer, so I will see if it has a SanDisk, if I does, I'll remove the bottom case and snap a few pics.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
No pics....but trust me, I've opened about 10x more than that and they are starting to be a good mixture of the SanDisk and Samsung. Apple is truly trying to sever ties with Samsung in all ways possible. I haven't seen Samsung RAM in a new machine in a while. A lot of Hynix and Elpida....

I have a refurb coming in for a customer, so I will see if it has a SanDisk, if I does, I'll remove the bottom case and snap a few pics.

Awesome! Its not that I dont believe you, I just wanna see lol.

I know Apple hates Samsung. I only see Hynix and Elpida RAM too.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
You'll see them advertised faster in benchmarks but they should be slower with incompressible data, like any Sandforce drive.

walkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Thanks for your comments, so in few words OWC is not as fast as advertised according with your experience, then it seems it's better to find a Retina Samsung OEM SSD.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Interesting. I wonder how the SandDisk performs. I haven't used an SSD with the Marvell controller before.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Thanks for your comments, so in few words OWC is not as fast as advertised according with your experience, then it seems it's better to find a Retina Samsung OEM SSD.

I think so yes. I also think OWC is overpriced due to the fact the slap a "MAC Compatible" label on their products.

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Where would you get that tho? As far as i understand, OWC is the only company selling Retina-SSDs right?

walkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
I think so yes. I also think OWC is overpriced due to the fact the slap a "MAC Compatible" label on their products.

I haven't seen yet the typical post: "I made the SSD upgrade with OWC on a retina MBP and couldn't be happier..."

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I'm wondering if someone will come out with an adapter to fit a regular SSD (maybe with the case removed) in the SSD location in the 13" rMPB

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
I'm wondering if someone will come out with an adapter to fit a regular SSD (maybe with the case removed) in the SSD location in the 13" rMPB

No shiz... that would be fantabulous but I have a 15" rMBP lol.

kgallag1

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
Dorval, Quebec
I upgraded my RMBP with the OWC 480 gig disk. Works like a charm. Never bothered with benchmarks (frankly don't really care if I get 450 or 460MBPs), but it's snappy, given me no problems and works like a charm, so I "couldn't be happier":)

walkie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
I upgraded my RMBP with the OWC 480 gig disk. Works like a charm. Never bothered with benchmarks (frankly don't really care if I get 450 or 460MBPs), but it's snappy, given me no problems and works like a charm, so I "couldn't be happier":)

Nice to read from your own experience!, now we have our first happy user :cool:, the good thing about OWC upgrade is the toolbox, the case for the remaining SSD and the 3-year warranty.

kgallag1

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
Dorval, Quebec
I also love the Envoy Pro. Compact, easy to carry around, and REALLY nice build quality! When you screw it together, it's practically airtight. All aluminium too. All in all, it was worth the $600 or so I spent.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I also love the Envoy Pro. Compact, easy to carry around, and REALLY nice build quality! When you screw it together, it's practically airtight. All aluminium too. All in all, it was worth the $600 or so I spent.

Only bad thing about it is you need to peel the rubber feet off the bottom to access the screws. Most users won't be taking it apart so that's not a big deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.