Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Quote:
a file sorting system that can reorganize according to time, category, or a common theme -- such as a work project -- and sync with cloud servers and other users

That's the part that's eluded iWork and iCloud until now - the ability to mix file types. We think of them traditionally as Folders but themes is an equally good if not better convention. Tag files with keywords, as many as needed, so you can group and sort (and search) as needed. Hopefully Apple will not limit this to iWork files but will include PDFs, photos and, well, just about anything.

Big things coming for iOS file system.

Sure hope so. At a minimum it at least shows that they're aware the current implementation is not a long term solution.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Two things that would make doing my homework in iWork a lot quicker:

A built in equation editor.
Built in flow chart support.

Other stuff that would be nice... The ability to add captions... The ability to insert tables of tables or tables of figures... I can't think of much else that causes me to choose Word over Pages, ever.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
It's very much over due. Almost too late. iWork has been on the brink of abandonware and while iLife has received a little more love, it's still barely make use of iCloud and the potentials with it.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
About. God. Damn. Time.

I'm disappointed Apple is now starting work on a new iLife suite. This means it will be a while before anything substantial results. While I use "Dreamweaver for heavy web work, iWeb was a fun and easy GUI for MobileMe sites. I miss hosting my own site on MM, was easy.

iPhoto needs a serious overhaul. Removing individual picture/event/album restoration from "Time Machine" with ver. 9 was a big mistake. It's a PITA if you or someone else placed pics you need in the trash, then inadvertently empty it. You have to restore the entire iPhoto library instead of opening iPhoto, then "Time Machine" to restore individual items as you can with Contacts, Calendar, Mail... Ridiculous.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
At least 64-bit please.

I do realize that iWork is a little on the slow side but I use iMovie all the time and never noticed any performance hits. That being said Steve Jobs (before deceased) should have been embarrassed that iLife wasn't 64-bit since he touted OS X being 64-bit so often. I didn't even know this until I checked Activity Monitor.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
It's very much over due. Almost too late. iWork has been on the brink of abandonware and while iLife has received a little more love, it's still barely make use of iCloud and the potentials with it.

While iLife could never be "too late" to the game, I was certainly hoping Apple would've had iWork take at least 50% of Microsoft's Office business by now. Apple has had a productivity suite for many years and now that they have the iDevices to push their software into so many hands I thought iWork would've taken off by now. They just haven't put forth much effort into iWork. Very sad. Not that it really matters but I never cared for the name.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
I do realize that iWork is a little on the slow side but I use iMovie all the time and never noticed any performance hits. That being said Steve Jobs (before deceased) should have been embarrassed that iLife wasn't 64-bit since he touted OS X being 64-bit so often. I didn't even know this until I checked Activity Monitor.

Right, Apple should make an statement (by having all their own apps 64-bit) to all the software developers still working with 32-bit code. 64-bit is really faster, for some apps hardly noticeable but for other there is a big difference. 64-Bit Arperture is much faster than 32-bit iPhoto.

dru`

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2004
USA
skeuomorphism and the aesthetics is one thing but what exactly has stopped them from having numbers as usable and competent application?

its got some nice drag and drop solutions but when it comes to actual work i will go to openoffice/libreoffice and google docs every time.

what's missing from numbers that you need?

i get plenty of actual work done in it.

it doesn't try to be 1-1 in features with excel as open/libreoffice are because that was their goal, apples was to replace appleworks and heavily influenced by the suit of apps steve liked that was available on NeXT (and Sun bought and buried).

there are some things that are not optimal but i generally find a way to get around it by rethinking my approach.

since i've decided to stay on SL i wouldn't any any iwork update anyway. even the dec minor updates won't run.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
While iLife could never be "too late" to the game, I was certainly hoping Apple would've had iWork take at least 50% of Microsoft's Office business by now. Apple has had a productivity suite for many years and now that they have the iDevices to push their software into so many hands I thought iWork would've taken off by now. They just haven't put forth much effort into iWork.

My friends working in Cupertino, seems Apple isn't hiring enough engineers and designers as their company and base grows. Steve always kept a small team for communication between departments, and everyone knows Jobs shifted OS X engineers off 10.5 Leopard to iOS in 2007, delaying its release.

Hire more engineers Apple, stop shifting them between departments. You have the money, use it.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
But hire them where?

Increase the amount of engineers instead of straining their teams. Apple has a history of hiring engineers that can be shifted around departments as needed. Why bother? Just hire enough engineers for iOS, OS X, iLife, Aperture, iWork, etc development instead of moving around an already strained group. It would improve quality, increase updates cycles (iWork 09 and iLife 11 should have been updated a long time ago). iOS gets a lot of work due to its popularity/need, OS X and associated suites need the same tender loving :).

bbyrdhouse

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2002
Elm Grove, LA
Finally!

About. Stinkin'. Time.

It really is hard to believe that Apple has avoided the iWork suite for nearly 4 years.

It desperately needs some attention ... other than that stupid integration with iCloud.

A lot of what I used Pages for I now use iBooks Author because it is faster, smarter and has more features.

Sasha-1

Contributor
Aug 11, 2001
While iLife could never be "too late" to the game, I was certainly hoping Apple would've had iWork take at least 50% of Microsoft's Office business by now. Apple has had a productivity suite for many years and now that they have the iDevices to push their software into so many hands I thought iWork would've taken off by now. They just haven't put forth much effort into iWork. Very sad. Not that it really matters but I never cared for the name.

Apple won't even get 1% of Microsoft's Office business with iWork, also known as iWorthless. Adopt top menus, get rid of the stupid inspector, lose all the separate windows for things like Fonts. Clean it up, it's all over the place. I can't believe anyone in here even remotely likes it at all.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
What is it with all these hires for this project and that, like whoever is there now can't do it. Aren't there like 27K employees? What do they do?

It almost seems that Apple has no confidence in the people they have, for anything.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Apple won't even get 1% of Microsoft's Office business with iWork, also known as iWorthless. Adopt top menus, get rid of the stupid inspector, lose all the separate windows for things like Fonts. Clean it up, it's all over the place. I can't believe anyone in here even remotely likes it at all.

Whaaaaaat! I love the font panel! I couldn't imagine not using it.... I can't stand a list of 100's of fonts, I love being able to search through them and add favorites.

Same with the color panel.

I think the inspector is good, but can get annoying when quickly trying to switch through from tables to text etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.