Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

renosausage

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
I've had my 15" rMBP for 6 months now and I always knew it had Image Retention.

I never sent it in for Apple Care because the nearest Apple Store is 3hrs away from me and I need my laptop for school.

Anyway, lately the image retention has gotten considerably worse.

So bad, that now I can actually see my dock in full color with a dark gray background.

I can even surf the web on safari and read an article for a few minutes, minimize Safari and easily read the article I was looking at for another 5 to 7 mins before it disappears.

I realize that I am whining about this and I know people whine about this issue a lot in the threads already.

I'm trying to beat a dead horse here, but I was just wondering if anyone noticed their image retention getting worse?

Also is the retention as bad as mine?

Thank You :)

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I may be wrong, but I doubt many people (especially at MR) have actually used a MBP with image retention for any length of time, as most send it back at the first sign of retention. Hell, if it’s got a LG screen some people don’t even wait to use it before sending it back!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you're having a problem with the laptop, then I highly suggest you take it in for repair, clearly what you have is not normal.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
You should call Apple about it. Maybe record a small video illustrating the problem. What you tell us sounds like a very serious and obvious defect. I am sure that Apple will pick it up at your place (or provide you with shipping labels) and fix it for you free of charge.

sensorian

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Manchester, UK
Mine (on an LG screen) started slowly and gradually got worse. In the end (after 6 months) it was deeply irritating and so I went to an Apple store and they authorised a replacement (done by a 3rd part Apple authorised repairer) and the screen was replaced by a Samsung screen. No problems at all since.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Mine got worse, you need to take it in to Apple to get the screen exchanged - if they have the parts in stock they can normally turn it round in less than 5 days.

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
Just head to the Apple store to get it repaired. It will take a day if they have the part and if you request high priority for student needs or 3 days if they need to order the part (based on experience). So I would advise doing it on a Friday night to drop off and receive the next day or the following Monday.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Man did I win the lottery or what December manufactured LG screen and no I mean NO IR or any other issues. I feel bad for all of these people having issues but part of me thinks that some of them that have been experiencing issues are having buyers remorse and wanting to find something wrong, There are just to many of them.:eek:

Quazimojo

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Auburn Hills,Mi
I have a week 50 December build as well with no IR but from everything i have read it takes time for the IR to show up so i would not be 100% confident it will never happen even if i hope it does not.

My original machine had a Samsung screen in it but developed white pressure marks on the screen after a few months so they swapped it for my now LG and i love it but i will not be surprised if it ends up with IR at some point.

I left it running overnight recently with some windows open and screen on all night by accident but no IR when i checked it so who knows if it really happens to everyone or not.

Not concerned as that is what the warranty is for but id rather not be hassled again by screen issues either so hopefully never.

pedrofan

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
I have just bought a 15" rMBP with a LG display without any kind of image retention.
I left it for an hour with this test without any retention, at least on my screen, I was seeing squares everywhere for some minutes after that :D

renosausage

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Okay! Here is the update, I called Apple earlier today and I was able to get a Genius Appointment for 10am on Thursday.

Unfortunately, the nearest Apple Store is 2 and half hours away.

I will keep you guys updated on what happens.

Last edited:

renosausage

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Why did you need an appointment? They should have sent shipping labels to your house and fix it.

Well I have to go to that area anyway, and also I was told that I could not participate in the Mail-in feature unless I had AppleCare Protection.

AdvocateUK

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
Billingham, United Kingdom
I've had my rMBP for a few months now and it has an LG screen. When I initially read about the IR problems I was quite taken aback because as far as I could see my screen was perfect.

Then, this morning, I followed a link from Daring Fireball (which has a grey background) to another site (with a white background) and spent 5-10 minutes reading there, then clicked the back button to return to DF. On returning to DF my first thought was "Oh, this screen IS sensitive, I can see subtle variations of the grey background that look like they are ever an ever so slightly different shade of grey under the text blocks". But oh no, when I looked closer the "variations in colour" that I was seeing were image retention from the previous website with the white background :(

Here goes a visit to the Genius Bar methinks.

Do the replace the screen or the whole laptop? If it's the whole laptop I'll have to image my SSD (512GB) onto an external drive with CCC or something ready for when the replacement arrives. If it's just the screen will I be ok NOT imaging the drive? i.e. can I trust Apple with my data?

Can't believe this, I thought this laptop was perfect. I hate getting replacement screens. I had a 30 inch ACD that developed a yellow cast across the screen, when my replacement came in it didn't have the yellow cast, but it did have a stuck pixel right in the centre of the screen, bright pink :(

*sigh*

anarti

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Scotland
they will replace just the screen for you, and will ask you if they can use your login or use guest login to access mac during the panel installation

the whole screen bazel will be replaced (with apple logo etc).

it took 2 days at Apple Store Aberdeen Scotland to replace mine, couldn't be more happy. Got Samsung after all :)

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Because you have had it a few months you are outside of Apple's normal return period, which officially is two weeks from purchase, so they are likely to repair rather than replace the entire machine. They will take the laptop in to run though their own image persistence tests, which not only looks at the image retention, but for how long it takes before it fades. In the uk, if they have a screen in stock they typically quote 2-5 days, if they agree that it does not meet spec.

Hioctane

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2012
UK
I've just taken my, 6 months old, RMBP back to the Apple store for my LG screen replacing. I didn't notice any IR at the start, but in the last couple of months it's gotten worse.
The guy at the Genius Bar ran their 4 minute test, wasn't sure of the results, read some info off their system and said he'd get it replaced. Said the turn around time was 7-10 days, but said it will more likely be just a few as the work is carried out in-store.

renosausage

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Why so defensive? It's a defect on the product and one that the Genius Bar will be able to resolve... No need to be so defensive until you've actually been unsatisfied with the outcome, no?

Sorry, I just feel as if they may give me a hard time. idk, I may be completely wrong.

----------

I purchased an Apple Protection Plan :)

$239 using Education Discount, I hope having this will help me get better support.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
In the UK, Apple replaced my 3GS iPhone with a dock connector problem 4 months out of warranty. They also did £300 worth of work to my old 2009 MacBook (took it in because the base had delaminated), they ended up replacing the base, LCD, LCD cable, hinge assembly and lid.

If you have an issue with the screen inside warranty I can't see there'd be any issues whatsoever - Apple have very good support.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Apple replaced my rMBP a month after I bought it (not for IR issues, though it did have an LG panel), so I don't think you'll have any problems getting it fixed.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Apple replaced my rMBP a month after I bought it (not for IR issues, though it did have an LG panel), so I don't think you'll have any problems getting it fixed.

I return a 4 month old unused, but open rMBP charger and they let me lol.

renosausage

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
This is how bad it is...

Before:

ir7x20.jpg

After:

291eul4.jpg

Now I would consider that bad, wouldn't you?

----------

It will stay like that for 7 to 10 mins!!!

Last edited:

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Do the replace the screen or the whole laptop? If it's the whole laptop I'll have to image my SSD (512GB) onto an external drive with CCC or something ready for when the replacement arrives. If it's just the screen will I be ok NOT imaging the drive? i.e. can I trust Apple with my data?

Never trust any company with your data unless you're sending it to them for data recovery. Don't you back up data or is the concern also one of downloaded applications and things?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.