Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which will be your ordering Preference? Fusion or Non-Fusion?

• Total voters

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
Wow looking at the percentage in the pool above it really looks like that Apple Marketing is super efficient in selling fusion drive (as it has always been with all of their products).. Congratulation to them, I am still convinced that fusion is not for me.

Ajay(UK)

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
UK
As an iMac newbie I have ordered mine with fusion. For me this will have a more noticable effect on speed than a slightly faster cpu and not wanting to even attempt to take it apart retrofitting a bigger SSD will never be an option.

I also cannot see the point of adding lots of extra external devices, I'm trying to keep the cables to a minimum although I have ordered a superdrive, just in case!

Finally making the jump from windoze and cannot wait:)

Andy.

robbiemc

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Wow looking at the percentage in the pool above it really looks like that Apple Marketing is super efficient in selling fusion drive (as it has always been with all of their products).. Congratulation to them, I am still convinced that fusion is not for me.

Apple marketing? Nothing to do with all the positive reviews it's had then?

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
Apple marketing? Nothing to do with all the positive reviews it's had then?

i read negative reviews as well, as filling up too fast if you do a lot of Video editing and such. Formatting problems with the Fusion. So for now I will go without the Fusion at this time. Maybe later on after it has proven itself and maybe if it is presented in a larger format. 128GB is just too small for me.

jaimejaime

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
I ordered with the Fusion drive, based on hearing good things about it in reviews and such.

It's primarily going to be my work computer, and I use the same couple of applications every day, as well as do a lot of repeated small tasks every day so it sounds like it's geared to exactly what I do.

My only hesitation before ordering was just the fact that you can't control what is running from the drive, nor can you see what's going on. I'd like to be able to manually customize these things in the future for sure.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
I ordered with the Fusion drive, based on hearing good things about it in reviews and such.

It's primarily going to be my work computer, and I use the same couple of applications every day, as well as do a lot of repeated small tasks every day so it sounds like it's geared to exactly what I do.

My only hesitation before ordering was just the fact that you can't control what is running from the drive, nor can you see what's going on. I'd like to be able to manually customize these things in the future for sure.

My question would be, why would you need to? But I understand not everyone likes to give up control to the OS. ;-)

You CAN add one additional partition in FD that will be JUST on the HDD. So you can have 1 partition that is combo SSD/HDD (traditional FusionDrive) and another partition that is just HDD. Then you can keep things that you only want on the HDD actually on the HDD to reduce the amount of stuff on the FD.

Last edited:

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I got the FD as I swore after getting my '11 mba with 128gb ssd that I'd never go back to hdd. I'm sure there are, as I've read on various threads, some specific use cases where FD won't be perfect, but for those people that seem to be poo-pooing FD without having it or living with it, seems foolish at best.

Is it a perfect solution for everyone - of course not. Is it better than just a single hdd - of course it is (for the most part). It's a short-term solution to the issue of cost per mb vs speed. Apple is giving the majority of users 1.1tb of storage space that, for the most part, runs at the speed of an ssd, but only costs $250 more than a standard config 1tb hdd. Could they have offered it for less than $250 - probably, but but they came up with the solution and there is nothing wrong with them making a profit on their technology.

I was fully prepared to build my own using a tb external ssd, but the cost difference at this point would have made it a wash - and I didn't want the extra desktop clutter anyway.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I would never buy an iMac with a hdd only instead of fusion. 768 flash drive on the other hand, I would say is a better solution than the fusion drive.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
This is why I delayed ordering it. I questioned Fusion Drive, not just the cost but is it ready. This goes for i5 vs i7 too, do I really need it?

After owning a Mid-2012 13" MacBook Air with 128GB SSD it's hard to go back to HDD.

I went from deciding, 1TB HDD to 1TB Fusion, I also questioned do I really need 3TB? A few weeks ago before I sold my Air I bought a 1TB WB My Passport Studio which has FireWire 800.

It took two weeks to make my decision. At the end I went with Base 2012 with 3TB Fusion. Ordered on the 15th of January and it's STILL PROCESSING with a scheduled delivery February 12-19.

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
This is why I delayed ordering it. I questioned Fusion Drive, not just the cost but is it ready. This goes for i5 vs i7 too, do I really need it?

After owning a Mid-2012 13" MacBook Air with 128GB SSD it's hard to go back to HDD.

I went from deciding, 1TB HDD to 1TB Fusion, I also questioned do I really need 3TB? A few weeks ago before I sold my Air I bought a 1TB WB My Passport Studio which has FireWire 800.

It took two weeks to make my decision. At the end I went with Base 2012 with 3TB Fusion. Ordered on the 15th of January and it's STILL PROCESSING with a scheduled delivery February 12-19.

I ordered also on the 15th of Jan. Mine is also showing Processing Items still.
So frustrating when you see people who ordered 16th and 17th shipping out already. Why doesn't Apple go only in order. I see no order priority here. Let me know when yours goes to Prepared for Shipment. However since you went with the 1TB Fusion (most Popular it seems) yours will most likely ship before mine does. I ordered around 12 pm Noon PST in NV USA.

jaimejaime

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
My question would be, why would you need to? But I understand not everyone likes to give up control to the OS. ;-)

You CAN add one additional partition in FD that will be JUST on the HDD. So you can have 1 partition that is combo SSD/HDD (traditional FusionDrive) and another partition that is just HDD. Then you can keep things that you only want on the HDD actually on the HDD to reduce the amount of stuff on the FD.

Partially because yes, I don't want to give up that control to the OS. The other part is that I'd just like to be able to have that control so I can know what's working and what's not. Hopefully it all goes as advertised and after opening up Photoshop a bunch of times it will Fusion-ate it, I just think it'd be simpler and preferable if I could just turn it on the first time and slide all the software I want over to it myself. Either way, I'm really looking forward to it!

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
And Why is that?

I think the key question is, have you used a computer with any kind of SSD as the principal OS drive? If you have, it is very hard to go back. I had an extra 256GB Crucial M4 SSD after selling my 2009 iMac (I reinstalled the original 1TB disc).... I could have eBayed it for $125... but I was so frustrated with how slow my work laptop was (even with a 7200 RPM scorpio hard drive) that I just installed it in that machine.

Now, booting and being able to start "working" has gone from about 5 minutes of hard drive thrashing to about 30 seconds. Apps launch instantly. Fusion offers pretty much the exact same experience but with the added benefit of copious storage, should you need it.

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
I think the key question is, have you used a computer with any kind of SSD as the principal OS drive? If you have, it is very hard to go back. I had an extra 256GB Crucial M4 SSD after selling my 2009 iMac (I reinstalled the original 1TB disc).... I could have eBayed it for $125... but I was so frustrated with how slow my work laptop was (even with a 7200 RPM scorpio hard drive) that I just installed it in that machine.

Now, booting and being able to start "working" has gone from about 5 minutes of hard drive thrashing to about 30 seconds. Apps launch instantly. Fusion offers pretty much the exact same experience but with the added benefit of copious storage, should you need it.

Yes I could see how that could be like going backwards I suppose when you are use to using a SSD drive and then go to a HHD drive. Good Point.

jtrainor56

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
Ephrata, Pennsylvania
I have been using my i7 since Christmas Eve with the 3TB fusion and have no regrets with my decision. The most taxing application I run it Lightroom and have gotten back into playing games on Steam. I'm not a hard core gamer but my 23 year old daughter is and when she gets on my machine she puts it to the test and has no complaints!

Personally, I have no complaints with the fusion drive and really don't care what it does just so long as it works. And if I do have a problem, that's why I have AppleCare. I have no idea what my temps are and run most games at the highest settings unless I notice a lag, and don't really care about temps or speed.

I decided that with 25+ years and counting working in IT, I was tired of the PC crap, working on servers everyday, monitoring all sorts of crap on quite a few clients and over 300 devices (servers/switches/etc.) so that when I came home at night I didn't feel like I was still at work, I jumped to this iMac and never looked back.

I just say, use it as you see fit and don't worry about the little stuff.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007

This has little to do with "marketing" and much to do with very good real world speed improvements that the Fusion solution offers to users who can't or won't pony up for an all SSD option.

Anand Shempi from Anandtech gave the Fusion drive a very good review and points out that only in the most extreme situations does it fall below pure SSD performance.

Hairlesswookiee

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2010
Pensacola
When I finally do order me an iMac I'll probalby avoid the Fusion drive just because it's relatively new, and we don't know anything about these drive's longevity. With that said, I'll probalby max out the hard drive and go with an external SSD to boot from. 256GB is the minimum I'm going to have for the boot drive.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
BTW, we haven't good luck with our iMac's 3 out of 4 had issues and needed service after 2-3+ years.

The other reason why I went Fusion because I also got Apple Care, not really into Extended Warranties but I had enough.

I ordered also on the 15th of Jan. Mine is also showing Processing Items still.
So frustrating when you see people who ordered 16th and 17th shipping out already. Why doesn't Apple go only in order. I see no order priority here. Let me know when yours goes to Prepared for Shipment. However since you went with the 1TB Fusion (most Popular it seems) yours will most likely ship before mine does. I ordered around 12 pm Noon PST in NV USA.

For sure, I'm constantly checking even though I signed via Text Messaging.

I didn't know that, I guess location helps. I'm in Toronto, Canada so who knows. I went with 3TB Fusion, not 1TB.

I really wanted my new iMac this week since I'm on vacation. I even thought about cancelling and just picking up the Base with 1TB HDD since that's all Apple & Best Buy has.

Last edited:

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
It seems judging by this poll that people really like their Fusion Drives. I wonder if it because people tend to follow the majority of the people? I like to be independent at times and don't always follow the people. This can be good as well as bad for me. But the question is : Is it bad for me this time around that I chose to go the opposite of the majority? I choose Non-Fusion.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
It seems judging by this poll that people really like their Fusion Drives. I wonder if it because people tend to follow the majority of the people? I like to be independent at times and don't always follow the people. This can be good as well as bad for me. But the question is : Is it bad for me this time around that I chose to go the opposite of the majority? I choose Non-Fusion.

I didn't vote as I'm not buying a new Mac, but I DID convert my SSD and HDD on my existing 2008 iMac to a FusionDrive. I'm definitely not a follower, but wanted to see if it would work and what I'd gain out of it. I'm a tinkerer and I initially did it just to see if I could do it, but after doing it I'm never going back.

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
I didn't vote as I'm not buying a new Mac, but I DID convert my SSD and HDD on my existing 2008 iMac to a FusionDrive. I'm definitely not a follower, but wanted to see if it would work and what I'd gain out of it. I'm a tinkerer and I initially did it just to see if I could do it, but after doing it I'm never going back.

So you got it to work as a true Fusion Drive on your 2008 iMac? Great. That means I could do that as well down the road. What size SSD did you use? Did you notice any slow down since you don't have a thunderbolt port on your 2008 iMac? Also did you set it up like the Fusion Drive on the 2012 iMacs, being that they boot from the SSD drive and all apps goes to the SSD first etc...

Lastly was it hard to do? What problems did you run into when doing this?

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007

Or maybe it's because people want their Mac to boot up in 15 seconds instead of 60, want their apps to launch instantly, etc. :rolleyes: You seem to be worried that because your poll is not going the way you want it to (to validate your own opinion) that now the explanation is that people are sheep.

I put the 1TB 7200 RPM back in my 2009 27 i7 iMac when I sold it, and reloaded SL on it. It was painful how slow it was compared to the SSD that had been installed in that machine for the previous year.

I think that people choose whatever solution they think is best for their uses is and it's not about "going with the crowd" at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.