Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Sorry, I'm a Jailbreaking noob. I know the general idea behind a JB but you download themes and stuff from Cydia? Or can you make purchases from the Apple App Store freely? Can someone explain?

Carl G35c

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
Sorry, I'm a Jailbreaking noob. I know the general idea behind a JB but you download themes and stuff from Cydia? Or can you make purchases from the Apple App Store freely? Can someone explain?

you are installing themes/tweaks/apps that are not allowed by apple.

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
When Cydia ask you if you are a User, a hacker or a developer, what is better to select in order to have all the goodies from it?

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011

Really? Already? Google please...

JamilaLei

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I will be a first time jailbreaker today as well. I'm a bit nervous but I'm excited as well. I've had my iPhone for about 4 months and I love it but the restrictions that apple has placed on their devices.

Anyway my question is this: do I need to restore as new device before I jb? I had previously update OTA, but having read that updating via iTunes was best, I updated again that way. Is restoring and setting as new device overkill? I know that having a freshly wiped device makes the process smoother, so does that mean I could just backup then erase all content and settings on my phone?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
haha, funny. Well, most lilkely most of us are not hackers or devs, but, would you choose Developer in order to get all the content from Cydia?

its the same, just that for example if you were to download a tweak, in the user mode you will see only the tweak in your list of installed stuff, but if you go hacker or dev then you will see the tweak PLUS all the other addons needed for the tweak and you might delete them because you though they got there by mistake. In the maage section you can change the view back/forth to either one of the three if you feel the need to check .

clockworkorange

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I will be a first time jailbreaker today as well. I'm a bit nervous but I'm excited as well. I've had my iPhone for about 4 months and I love it but the restrictions that apple has placed on their devices.

Anyway my question is this: do I need to restore as new device before I jb? I had previously update OTA, but having read that updating via iTunes was best, I updated again that way. Is restoring and setting as new device overkill? I know that having a freshly wiped device makes the process smoother, so does that mean I could just backup then erase all content and settings on my phone?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Hey there newbie!

It is recommended you do a full restore, the evasi0n team let us know to upgrade directly rather than OTA (http://cdn.ihackintosh.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Evad3rs-Jailbreak.png)

you can download the ios firmware here: http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

Once you're done with the restore, download the evasi0n jailbreak app for your system (Windows, Mac, Linux) and be set free.

JamilaLei

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
Thanks so much for the response! It just finished restoring and I downloaded the evasi0n tool from a mirror link. I'm about to begin. Wish me luck!
Hey there newbie!

It is recommended you do a full restore, the evasi0n team let us know to upgrade directly rather than OTA (http://cdn.ihackintosh.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Evad3rs-Jailbreak.png)

you can download the ios firmware here: http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

Once you're done with the restore, download the evasi0n jailbreak app for your system (Windows, Mac, Linux) and be set free.

clockworkorange

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Is it true that having the iphone jailbroken makes the phone eat more battery?

It is slightly true, while most apps/tweaks on here won't drain your battery more than usual there may occasionally be a few unforeseen bugs that can cause battery issues. They are very uncommon, but its just something to keep in mind.

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
So you are saying that jailbreaking per se is not the cause of a faster battery drain, but the tweaks and apps you can eventualy get on cydia are?
And what about 3g or wifi connectivity, it can become more unstable due to jailbraking in general or just because of some apps and tweaks from cydia?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.