Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueBubba

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
I have mystery space being taken up on my SSD and can't find what is taking it. I have an SSD for my Applications 128GB and 1TB for storage. I've recently being getting a Startup Disk is full message when starting a render in Cinema 4D. When I get info on the hard drive it is using 96GB but when I run Omni Disk Sweeper it finds a total of 65GB. 32GB Applications, 20.6GB Private (don't know what this is, 20.6GB var?) 6.1GB Library 3.4GB System and a few GB other. I have also run cleanmymac and it only found a total of 10GB of trash.

I'm on 10.8.2, 16gb RAM. My SSD has trim enabler activated.

Any ideas please.

Nov 28, 2010
located
The 20 GB in that VAR folder are your swap files and the 16 GB sleep image of your RAM, if you have a MacBook Pro (this is the Mac Pro subforum): sleepimage – the Mac OS X sleepimage file explained

To find out, where you storage capacity is being used, you can use the following free applications:
Try a combination of several, if you still can't find the "missing" capacity.

What is this "Other" in the storage tab? What is eating up my space? by theSeb

As to your use of CleanMyMac:
Articles explaining why Mac OS X does not need maintenance software like CCleaner, MacKeeper or CleanMyMac:

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
I use a copy of WhatSize. Admittedly, it's not free and I cant remember in which way the free demo is crippled, but it has saved my life more than once.

RGDS,

P.S. What model of SSD?

BlueBubba

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Thanks for the replies. Yes it is a Mac Pro. I've used OmniDiskSweeper but will try the others.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks for the replies. Yes it is a Mac Pro. I've used OmniDiskSweeper but will try the others.

Then there should be no sleep image then.
Look into that VAR folder, it will probably contain 20 GB of swap files (when did you last restart the MP?), which will vanish after a restart.

BlueBubba

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
I've enabled the root user and had a look through the hidden folders, .Trash had 30GB of installers inside. Deleted them 60GB free disk space. Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.