Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wizzerandchips

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2006
....the iPad first showed itself and people were saying why do we need it, what's the point, it can't do what a laptop can do, can't do this cant do that, where are you now? Wonder if they now own a tablet...I've still got my iPad 1... In fact I type this on it..and yet it killed the net book. :apple:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
....the iPad first showed itself and people were saying why do we need it, what's the point, it can't do what a laptop can do, can't do this cant do that, where are you now? Wonder if they now own a tablet...I've still got my iPad 1... In fact I type this on it..and yet it killed the net book. :apple:

In a way it did, but at first really only for us Mac users....I have the iPad 4, and I recently bought a Nexus N7 just to play around with and see what Android ( which I know nothing about) was like. The device is well made, and performs pretty well, but the 7" screen really is too small for me. It's good to know that there are still first generation ipads out there going strong...A buddy of mine still has his and he uses it every day. A testimony to Apple build quality indeed. How's your battery holding up?

utcoug

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2010

I was one of the first people in the country and my company to have the first iPad. Everyone thought I was crazy and the iPad was going to be a flop. Can't even remember how I got along without it. My computing and media consuming life has improved in leaps and bounds and keeps getting better.:)

Nov 28, 2010
located
I remembered the time, when the iPhone was introduced and was thinking, they should have gone with a table instead, but are probably testing the waters with multi touch and all that stuff.

Once the iPad mini arrived, I knew, what I was waiting for, not for all computer use, but it is fantastic for the loo.

Obese Lobsters

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010
I remember when the iPad came out and people were calling it a giant itouch then when the xoom was announced the same people were praising it even though it was much more expensive and had to be upgraded, eventually, to 4g. Same story with the iPod, iPhone etc....

beauparc

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2011
Anglesey
I still have my original iPad and use it every day.

Just breathed new life into it by jailbreaking and it never misses a beat.

Brilliant machine and I intend to keep using it until it finally gives up the ghost.

No interest at all in iPad 4 or Mini because I can see no reason to upgrade.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010

Was announced JUST 3 years ago to date last week! It is crazy how far the iPad has come along in such a short time.

I remember some of the backlash at first was against the name (Maxi-Pad, will the iPad 2 come with wings?, etc). Now the iPad has become an iconic piece of hardware and the name sells the device alone!

----------

In a way it did, but at first really only for us Mac users....I have the iPad 4, and I recently bought a Nexus N7 just to play around with and see what Android ( which I know nothing about) was like. The device is well made, and performs pretty well, but the 7" screen really is too small for me. It's good to know that there are still first generation ipads out there going strong...A buddy of mine still has his and he uses it every day. A testimony to Apple build quality indeed. How's your battery holding up?

I bought my iPad Mini on Jan. 13th, haven't used my Nexus 7 since! Poor thing hasn't even been charged, I bet it died :(

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
remeber when...

we used to carry around 15inch MacBooks...? and now the ipad 4 is too heavy?

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Admittedly I thought the iPad was kind of ridiculous when I saw the keynote. Now I have changed my stance. I believe that iOS was fully intended for the iPad, and as a phone OS it kind of sucks. I use my iPad daily for school and fun alike. I still use my macbook pro often as well, but the iPad has taken over most of my lighter computing needs.

After using one I really changed my tune. I immediatley went out and bought one, and instantly started to understand that this was where iOS belongs. I do own a nexus 7 and I like it a lot, but I prefer the iPad to it and to all the other tablets I've used.

wizzerandchips

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2006

After 3 years my battery is as good as its first day. And I use mine everyday.

----------

I remembered the time, when the iPhone was introduced and was thinking, they should have gone with a table instead, but are probably testing the waters with multi touch and all that stuff.

Once the iPad mini arrived, I knew, what I was waiting for, not for all computer use, but it is fantastic for the loo.

Snap, gone are the old magazines in the loo, iPad is in and out, aprrox 20mins, with me.

JoeFkling

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2013
I still enjoy my iPad 1 and remember when the iPad and the iPhone were introduced and remember thinking, along with tons of others Im sure, that both devices would change the landscape of mobile computing. Of course I also had the same thought when I had my newtons, but sadly, that didnt exactly go like I thought.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

I don't think that was the consensus opinion at all:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.