Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Siri for Macs? If this rumor is true and if it's like Siri for iOS, I guess it will only work for people who purchase Macs at or after the release of 10.9.

In any case, I'm curious for what new features this may bring. I see Maps is rumored as well, but I can't imagine much use for this on a Mac when there are websites that can do the same thing, unless they add cellular or GPS to the MBA (probably not).

You can currently get the "Samantha" voice for your Mac, of course not with Siri functionality. I use it to speak my alerts.

Semester

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2011
Good to know Apple(devs) visit this site :)

Would be cool if they add some more features to iCloud. Like syncing EVERYTHING. Like if I set an alarm/timer it should be counting down on all iOS devices and on my mac(and alarm on the last used device)
Like the messages app but now for all apps that I have on all three devices.
iCloud tabs, reminders, and messages just isn't enough they need to push it to everything.

Seems very logical to me or maybe I'm lazy :eek:

I would have loved if the alarm went off simultaneously on all my devices. Then, maybe, I could for once make it to work on reasonable time. ;)

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
London
Siri for Macs? If this rumor is true and if it's like Siri for iOS, I guess it will only work for people who purchase Macs at or after the release of 10.9.

In any case, I'm curious for what new features this may bring. I see Maps is rumored as well, but I can't imagine much use for this on a Mac when there are websites that can do the same thing, unless they add cellular or GPS to the MBA (probably not).

It would be available for anyone who can run dictation on their Mac. It would be too easy to just pirate Siri unlike on iOS devices, so there'd be no point in not releasing it. Plus, if a Mac can run dictation, then it can 100% run Siri (there are no iOS devices that can run dictation but not Siri).

----------

I've lost so much enthusiasm for software releases from Apple recently. I hope OS X 10.9 and iOS 7 changes this though. :)

Yeah, they're becoming a little predictable. Hopefully Jon Ive will do something bloody awesome :p

BlendedFrog

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
So, whats after 10.9?

X.X ??

That's a really good question. In keeping with Apple's production cycle, we are actually only a year away from the dev cycle of OS XI. You'd think that release would be a huge change and probably not the 10.9 one.

jan1024188

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
Desired features:
-better gfx drivers
-longer battery life
-fix as many bugs as possible

Siri and maps...meh...whatever.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Another half-baked update with a couple of major features and which will render even more Macs obsolete. They'd better release Siri and Maps as apps.

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
All I gotta say is, if they bring Siri to Mac it better work on my 2011 MBA or I'm gonna be maaaadd

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
That's a really good question. In keeping with Apple's production cycle, we are actually only a year away from the dev cycle of OS XI. You'd think that release would be a huge change and probably not the 10.9 one.

Not again. This has been done to death. After OSX 10.9 comes 10.10, then 10.11 etc. Version numbers are not your usual decimal numbers.

OS 11 is probably 3-5 years away.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
So, whats after 10.9?

X.X ??

Probably OS X 10.10. There haven't been any rumors to make me think that they're working on any new operating system. Cat names will probably disappear though - only because they're running out.

Keep in mind, these aren't decimals. It's just a naming convention.

OS X - the name of the operating system.

OS X 10.x - Where "x" is the major release version. For context, OS X 10.7 -> OS X 10.8 is the equivalent of Windows 7 -> Windows 8. Also the equivalent of old school Mac OS 7 -> Mac OS 8.

OS X 10.x.y - Where "y" is the minor release version. Each of these are equivalent to the various "service packs" that Microsoft puts out for Windows. OS X 10.4 had 11 of these.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
apple visits this forum? hey, we want the NFL on the apple tv! :D

Jasoco

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Hoping for Siri integration, especially if it can be activated with a voice command instead of just a key press. If they made it so I can just say "Siri, do this and that and so and so" without having to say "Siri" first and wait for her to acknowledge me, it will be even better. It needs to be Star Trek speed. As soon as I say "Siri" it needs to acknowledge me and listen as I continue saying my command. I want to be Captain Picard. Even more better if we can extend it with plugins and developers can build their own. And if we can use AppleScript and other languages to extend it too. Setting command words she can listen for and run certain scripts. That's the Siri integration I want.

Also, hoping for better Siri all together.

Why do we need a Maps app in OS X? It's a computer OS. We have a browser. Windows 8 has one because it's mainly a tablet OS. As do phones. But if they want to put one in, fine by me. Especially if it's used for Siri.

Bolo4u

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2009
10.9 Thundercat

Keeping in line with the thunderbolt interface and cat naming theme

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.