Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
And just because Apple posted job listings people on here will expect the new overhauled with pizzazz iWork to launch next week.

I would love Apple to stop using the word "Magic" to describe everything and use Pizazz. I can see it now, OS X 10.9 - 70% more Pizazz than Mountain Lion!

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
What in the heck does Apple do ? Hire people on the fly every time they want to upgrade software ? Why can't they already have a team doing this stuff.

Turnover at 1 Infinite Loop must be horrible.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
What has Tim Cook ever said that leads you to believe OSX and iOS are going to be merged? Isn't Tim Cook the one out there slamming Surface and convergence devices as being poor design choices that leave you with a severely compromised product?

Seem to remember they said the same about 7" tablets not that long ago... until of course they changed their mind. Smoke and mirrors.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I would LOVE new features added to Keynote. I'm a presentation designer and have had to use PowerPoint for many features that Keynote is missing :(

I use Keynote many times per week. I give dozens of presentations per year. What features of PP do you miss from Keynote?

Some things I'd like to see in Keynote:

Layering (or some equivalent) to make it possible to work on more complex animations and builds.

A "light table" of sorts that could easily be pulled down. This would store my frequently used slides or slide decks. This would really be helpful in building a new presentation as there are lots of short runs of slides that are common to many presentations. (Introduction to the technology, corporate boilerplate, product overview)

A timeline similar to the one in Garageband. This would make it possible to expand into new areas of automated presentations.

Support for QuickTime VR. I know Apple seems to be letting this go. Too bad. It is really useful for some things.

--

In iOS I'd like to see iWorks brought up to parity with iWorks in OS X. Pages desperately needs to support the layout mode that is present in OS X. Layout mode is fantastic. I write lots of reports that are heavy in pictures, charts and tables and layout mode is a great tool for this purpose.

--
@Peace:
"What in the heck does Apple do ? Hire people on the fly every time they want to upgrade software ? Why can't they already have a team doing this stuff.

Turnover at 1 Infinite Loop must be horrible."

I wonder that too sometimes. I guess they have lots of other people working on things but post adds when they go in a new direction or want to add a new emphasis.

Last edited:

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
So true. But I think most people are looking for a UI change for these apps since the are not as intuitive as one would expect from Apple.

Hopefully not as MS overhauled PP with the stupid Ribbons etc... (BTW I am a Keynote fanatic but sometimes have to use PP). And a better integration with iOS Keynote where half of the graphs are not showing when imported...

Last edited:

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Seems like good news. I've heard bad things about the iPhoto app for iPad and the rest of iWork and iLife could do with a little improvement.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I would LOVE new features added to Keynote. I'm a presentation designer and have had to use PowerPoint for many features that Keynote is missing :(

I have to agree with you, Powerpoint definitely has features not found in Keynote such as "Lack of Intuitive UI", "Lack of beautiful templates", "Lack of graphics animation for presentations" and lack of ease of use.

Seriously, even the most fanboyish of MS Office users can't deny that Keynote is the best in class and Powerpoint is nowhere close. That being said, still doesn't mean that the entire iWork suite doesn't need an upgrade because it definitely does.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Bad example in my opinion. It's more muscle memory in my case than visual cue. I really care not what colour it is, because it is equally easy to navigate.

Muscle memory is real, but it's not the entire usability picture. And it applies in a pretty limited sense to the Finder sidebar, since your muscles are moving a pointer FROM an arbitrary starting point TO a target that isn't always in the same place.

And the monochrome look is also bas usability for learning the habits in the first place--or even remembering what options exist for you. Like that green Downloads arrow in the Go menu. That's a handy reminder for non-techie types who haven't memorized every corner of OS X.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Well... About time I would say. Clean UI is the in thing this decade. Just look at Office 2013, Chrome etc. - apps have lost their shiny embossed logos. Apple needs to do some flattening.

No. Being an "in thing" doesn't make it right...don't follow the crowd just for the sake of it. I've frequently seen the "clean" concept taken too far where it removes usability. It's the same idea as removing all the colors from the sidebar; that's "cleaner" but harder to use.

--Eric

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! I have been waiting for this a long time. Finally!

Agreed....but if they are looking to fill jobs now, it will be a long wait before we see any substantial updates.

3 months to Hire appropriate headcount
3 months for new hire(s) to settle in
6-12 months for development
3-6 months to test

:(

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Seem to remember they said the same about 7" tablets not that long ago... until of course they changed their mind. Smoke and mirrors.

That was Steve Jobs. And the mini is 7.9" and not 16:9 so one could argue its really nothing like the other 7" tablets on the market.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Skeuomorphism or not, visual variety is useful: shape, texture and color cues that tell you instantly where you are and what you're doing, and trigger your habits for that particular app. Much more productive and easier to use than having everything look alike, as pleasingly minimalist as that can be on an artistic level. I'm happy to have GarageBand feel unique in one way and Calendar feel unique in another. Same reason the folders of papers in my cabinet are color-coded!

(Example: OS X's Finder sidebar icon like Home and Desktop that used to have colored sidebar icons. Now they're all the same blue-gray and you've lost a visual cue that made them quicker to find and click. Compare to the Go menu which still has the colors. "Like" them or not, those colors were useful!)

I don't think skeuomorphism is a problem... bad or useless skeuomorphism is! But so is bad or useless interface design of any kind. (Like relying on unique swipe commands with no visual cue to remind you how this app works.)

And one long-time classic skeuomorphic element makes good sense even with minimalist design: making buttons stand forward. In print, nothing is clickable and flat 2D design is great. On a device, some things are tappable/clickable/draggable--exactly like real-world controls--and giving them a little depth is a logical and useful convention. (Sorry, Windows Metro: I like the look and I'd hang it on my wall, but it has usability issues.)

So here's hoping for minimalist UIs... with clean, simple skeuomorphic elements where they're useful.

Finally someone who gets it.

However I still believe that the amounts of skeuomorphism can be scaled back a whole lot in some applications.

But yeah, overall I agree with everything you said.

Glassed Silver:mac

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I love the inspector, but agree it's a little scattered. It's like Adobe's options windows only way more streamlined and less twitchy. And unlike Adobe's stuff, at least they're all consistent across all the apps. I say just put the colors, fonts & whatever the other one or two separate windows are either into the inspector window or combine them into their own. I realize why they do the color & font windows the way they do though, since it's a system wide window that any app can use. That way it's easy to know how to use it in any app that implements it. But improvements are always welcome and I think Ive will be a good influence on UI.

More to the point, the Inspector is a fundamental design paradigm for ObjC Cocoa APIs since NeXTStep 0.1.

Apple needs to get serious about iWorks and stop pussyfooting around Microsoft whose contract is up with requiring a release on OS X. OS X provides Microsoft with several billion in revenue, per year, boost to their bottom line.

Give them competition by adding some powerful extensions api that can interface seamlessly with the likes of TeXLive for Publishing, Octave/MatLab/R for Computing needs and PostegreSQL/Oracle/MySQL/NoSQL/SQLite, for the need of extending your data calculations to large data sets, all via SERVICES--the reason we developed Services at NeXT in the first place.

Create the ability to separate Desktop Publishing from XeTeX TeXLive consistent Publishing for Technical Publications by providing a separation between document wide publishing settings that LaTeX/TeX is clearly superior at doing and complex image/text objects that allow Postscript quality flowing text curves that LaTeX/TeX cannot do and was never designed to do, all within the same Document by creating Project Management controls that oversee the separate areas of control and have a quality Inspector view to do so.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
UI improvements are well and good, but what about all the missing features (especially Numbers)?

Perhaps they've spent the last four years working on them, and now need to hire UI engineers to fit them all in in a less hated way than Microsoft's ribbon?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
No doubt. You want to talk about a piece of software that got long in the tooth. Come on Apple. There are still some fans of Aperture who haven't yet abandoned all hope. Throw us a bone for crying out loud.

Apple dropped"computers" from it's name and now sells iPhones. They seem to have left the pro-apps market to Adobe, Sony and others. I'd be happy to see the iPhone fade fade away and Apple go back to building computers for professionals again.

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Agreed....but if they are looking to fill jobs now, it will be a long wait before we see any substantial updates.

3 months to Hire appropriate headcount
3 months for new hire(s) to settle in
6-12 months for development
3-6 months to test

:(

I'm hoping that the new guy isn't going to have to write everything. :D

I would think that the first job of new programmers is the testing phase. At least that is what I am hoping. They did just update it a little in December too.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
My friends working in Cupertino, seems Apple isn't hiring enough engineers and designers as their company and base grows. Steve always kept a small team for communication between departments, and everyone knows Jobs shifted OS X engineers off 10.5 Leopard to iOS in 2007, delaying its release.

Hire more engineers Apple, stop shifting them between departments. You have the money, use it.

Aren't there like 3,000 people working at the Cupertino campus?

Just curious what the majority of job titles are at Apple if they're not heavily focused on engineers and designers.

that1guyy

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2011
So if they just hired them, when can we expect new versions to come out? 2014? End of 2013?

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
You know, people talk about iPhoto and iTunes and Pages and GarageBand and Safari needing overhauls to be made snappier... But you know what really is the buggiest Apple app there is that really, REALLY needs a sprinkling of snappy-sprinkles? FONT BOOK. Apple. Get. That. *****. Fixed.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
When it gets as good as MS Word and Excel, then I'll use it. Until then, I'll stick with office for Mac.

DrewJM

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2011
Please, just a new iMovie that actually works! (and the return of the save/save as function would be awesome).

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
About frikkin time.

Pages is nice and certainly a very capable word processor. But I would forgive Apple if they were to sacrifice a little bit of simplicity for the sake of bolstering Pages to be more "feature rich" application.... thus closing the gap with MS Word.

Accomplishing this (closing the gap with MS Word) would actually give many people a reason to stop looking back at Microsoft Word any more, and this would include many PC-to-Mac 'Switchers' I know of.

----------

Aren't there like 3,000 people working at the Cupertino campus?

Just curious what the majority of job titles are at Apple if they're not heavily focused on engineers and designers.

There are tons of employees at Apple in software development positions. What is unclear with these "job postings" is whether they were posted to the open public, or if these were internal postings so that existing Apple employees could transfer/apply to the job openings laterally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.