Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ugr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
I've always wanted to play duke nukem 3D or doom on a mac, but they are strictly windows games! :mad: I know that ports are made for windows games, so is there a port or any other way to play duke nukem 3D or doom on a mac?

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
No, they're DOS games. The Windows ports came after the original DOS versions.

What you want is Boxer (boxerapp.com). This app will let you setup a virtual DOS computer that runs under Mac OS X, and through that you can easily play Doom and Duke Nukem 3D exactly the way you would have played them in '96.

-SC

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
To answer the OP's question, these folks had the following to say:

Duke Nukem: "Come get some!"
Space Marine: "Hell, yes!"

Don't settle for DOS emulators that replicate that experience you had on your 486SX back in the day. Each of these have source ports that, while they require the game files from the games to play, are free. With modern graphics, console options, control options, resolution options, lighting, 3D acceleration support, etc., those alien bastards are going to pay for shooting up your ride like never before! ;)

For Duke Nukem, google "eduke32"
For Doom (Doom II, Hexen, Heretic), google "doomsday engine"
For Descent (I and II), google "dxx-rebirth"

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Don't settle for DOS emulators that replicate that experience you had on your 486SX back in the day. Each of these have source ports that, while they require the game files from the games to play, are free. With modern graphics, console options, control options, resolution options, lighting, 3D acceleration support, etc., those alien bastards are going to pay for shooting up your ride like never before!

Isn't replicating the experience you had back in the day precisely the point of playing these old games again?

If it isn't, then why stop at eduke32? Why not go all the way to Duke Nukem Forever, where they overhauled everything and turned it into Just Another Generic FPS? Why stop at Doom II when you can have Doom 3 (which I thought was a great game by the way)? Why stop at Command and Conquer 1995 (Tiberium Dawn) when you can have C&C 4?

It's not the same. Being blasted with 640x480 resolution in a limited colour palette is what makes it awesome. That cheesy General MIDI music from SimCity 2000 and the decrepit graphics is what totally takes you back to 1994. If I didn't care about the time travel, then I'd just play SimCity 4.

Now get off my lawn.

-SC

MustangGT

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
To answer the OP's question, these folks had the following to say:
... Don't settle for DOS emulators that replicate that experience you had on your 486SX back in the day. Each of these have source ports that, while they require the game files from the games to play, are free. With modern graphics, console options, control options, resolution options, lighting, 3D acceleration support, etc., those alien bastards are going to pay for shooting up your ride like never before! ;)

Well, your reasoning makes sense, but it just doesn't work for me. To play eduke32, I need original disc. Which I do. Actually I have two, normal edition, and platinum edition, but both are for DOS. )Clearly, I was a great fan of the game :))

Besides, my brand new iMac doesn't have an optical disk reader :( Any suggestions?

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I've always wanted to play duke nukem 3D or doom on a mac, but they are strictly windows games! :mad: I know that ports are made for windows games, so is there a port or any other way to play duke nukem 3D or doom on a mac?

The closest you can get right now is playing Duke Nukem 3D on iOS. It plays fine on the iphone, but the controls work better on either of the iPads (4th gen or mini).

----------

Well, your reasoning makes sense, but it just doesn't work for me. To play eduke32, I need original disc. Which I do. Actually I have two, normal edition, and platinum edition, but both are for DOS. )Clearly, I was a great fan of the game :))

Besides, my brand new iMac doesn't have an optical disk reader :( Any suggestions?

Pick up a Superdrive and be happy.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012

I don't think you got my point . . . if you have the original disk, do an install into a DOS machine (WinX, DOS, Boxer, DosBox, whatever). Then follow the instructions for "eDuke32" in order to play your game, Mac OSX native, transforming your Boxer version on the top of the picture, to the eDuke32 version on the bottom of the picture. Nice, no?

hrp_screen07.jpg

And as far as the lack of optical disc on your Mac:
1. Boo, Apple! Boo!
2. Surely you have an old clunky windows machine or a friend has one. Install the game on that machine and just copy the files to a thumb drive to put back on your Mac.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I don't think you got my point . . . if you have the original disk, do an install into a DOS machine (WinX, DOS, Boxer, DosBox, whatever). Then follow the instructions for "eDuke32" in order to play your game, Mac OSX native, transforming your Boxer version on the top of the picture, to the eDuke32 version on the bottom of the picture. Nice, no?

1. Boo, Apple! Boo!
2. Surely you have an old clunky windows machine or a friend has one. Install the game on that machine and just copy the files to a thumb drive to put back on your Mac.

Hey, love the accelerated version of Duke you showed. Where can one find it, and how high a resolution can it play?

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Hey, love the accelerated version of Duke you showed. Where can one find it, and how high a resolution can it play?

Have a look at post #4 in this thread, but here's the skinny:

For Doom (Doom II, Hexen, Heretic), google "doomsday engine"
For Descent (I and II), google "dxx-rebirth"

I'm pretty sure these will run at any resolution you can support. Can't vouch for retina, though, as I don't have one of those fancy things.

Shake it, baby!

MustangGT

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
I don't think you got my point . . . if you have the original disk, do an install into a DOS machine ...

I do not have an old DOS machine.

1. Boo, Apple! Boo!

It is not that I am missing optical discs.

Anyhow, I purchased a copy of Duke Nukem 3D (Atomic Edition) from got yesterday. At $ 5.99 it is a bargain. I guess I can also use it as a basis for installation of Eduke32, right?

Renzatic

Suspended
Anyhow, I purchased a copy of Duke Nukem 3D (Atomic Edition) from got yesterday. At $ 5.99 it is a bargain. I guess I can also use it as a basis for installation of Eduke32, right?

Yup. The GOG version uses the same files and executables from the original game, so it'll work just fine with EDuke32.

And while we're here talking about old FPS games from days of yore, I'm gonna throw out my props for Blood. It's probably one of the most woefully neglected games from the golden age of the genre. It even beats out Duke Nukem 3D in my opinion.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012

Yes, all you need are the "game files" that are located inside the file you got from GOG. If memory serves, you need a file called "DUKE.GRP" or something like that, the instructions are all in the eDuke32 docs and on the webpage for it. I played through the whole game again last year, and it was hella fun. So much better than the Forever Fiasco.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.