Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Serban

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
There are links with some rumors of the possibly of a new mac pro coming in 2013?

gerrynjr

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
I sent an email to tcook regarding mac pros being discontinued in the EU a few days ago.

Today, I received a phone call from ""enterprise customer relations." I was told that Pro customers have not been abandoned and that there is something Huge to be announced end of this year. When pressed on what this Huge announcement would be, I was told it was a replacement for the current Mac Pro.

So, a big :mad: for people hoping to upgrade early this year, I guess.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I sent an email to tcook regarding mac pros being discontinued in the EU a few days ago.

Today, I received a phone call from ""enterprise customer relations." I was told that Pro customers have not been abandoned and that there is something Huge to be announced end of this year. When pressed on what this Huge announcement would be, I was told it was a replacement for the current Mac Pro.

A Mac Mini with Mini-PCIe slots? :D

tamvly

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2007
Perhaps a Rubik's cube of Mac Mini's taped together. Now that would be cool.

JLopez

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
hum ... So only new Mac Pro in 2014?!!!
EU, no Mac Pro for 12 months, without words!!

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
As others pointed out before, Apple normally doesn't announce their products in advance. This only suggests that the fate of Mac Pro must have been changed more than once, and could still be reversed before the end of this year. :confused:

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
There are links with some rumors of the possibly of a new mac pro coming in 2013?

This site puts substantive ones onto a thread (or at least the ones that made the front page ).

http://macpro.macrumors.com/

Some are informative and some not so much. For example, the EU Trade area discontinue isn't really indicate sooner or later arrival. The old version, even as a refurb, would be pulled from the market. It is still a notice that should be go out on a timely basis.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007

I wouldn't put too much stock in that end of the year statement. The supposedly needed Intel processors will be out the third quarter of 2013. So maybe the end of the year, maybe earlier. You just have to hope it's worth waiting for.

d-m-a-x

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011

sounds like a new form factor... lets hope they don't make it in the shape of an i-pad

LogicRumours

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
Agree, I think a smaller form factor will be a part of the new mac Pro. Cooling technology and chips running cooler has been something intel has gotten a lot better at :cool:

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Agree, I think a smaller form factor will be a part of the new mac Pro. Cooling technology and chips running cooler has been something intel has gotten a lot better at :cool:

Right, but they push the high-end parts so they still have the same TDP as older ones with a third of LGA 2011 Xeons having a TDP of 115W or more. Anything that should have gone in the Mac Pro that is at least 2.7GHz is 130W TDP. The E5-2687W is 150W TDP.

I'd hope a new form factor would mean Apple offered such processors again, as they stopped on the current line back in 09.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
Right, but they push the high-end parts so they still have the same TDP as older ones with a third of LGA 2011 Xeons having a TDP of 115W or more. Anything that should have gone in the Mac Pro that is at least 2.7GHz is 130W TDP. The E5-2687W is 150W TDP.

I'd hope a new form factor would mean Apple offered such processors again, as they stopped on the current line back in 09.

That would be nice as currently we have 2 iMacs in our household. The late 2007 runs hot but I can at least touch the back of the machine. The 2010 is in pretty much the same enclosure and when I first got it thought it would set off the fire alarm or something.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

Not only that the mid-upper range GPUs have gotten hotter over last 10 years. They are stabilizing now but those are now comfortably 'North' of 210W for high performance also. Two GPUs and now a substantially larger thermal problem than the CPU packages. So it isn't necessarily just about what Intel is doing. At this point designing the Mac Pro around the CPU package is a bad, or at least extremely limiting, idea. It really isn't primarily about the CPU cores anymore.

Besides storage drives there has been no gradual decrease in performance CPU+GPU packages. There are likely some "inches" ( in height or depth) they could make with some juggling, but the same (if not more ) general forces requiring cooling and low levels of sound generation are still present.

'Size' isn't likely as large a change as mutations to the socket and expansion bays. Nuking 5.25" bay (or bays ). Questioning only 3.5" HDD bays. Whether to join the embedded GPU club with the rest of the Mac line up are far more likely game changers. Those don't necessarily impact the overall size much.

BrioBriss

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2013
Canada
Is it the 1st time that apple announce they stop a product and release the new model some mounths after? Because in the actual case that they stop suply the Europe, I really feel bad about that news..

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Mac Pro situation

Given what has happened in Europe and Eastern Europe with the Mac Pro I would have to say the Mac Pro's days might be numbered.. We simply don't know what Tim Cook and company will bring out for us Mac Pro users, but I do believe it will be some kind of remake or some kind of combination imac and mac pro(iMac Pro or something).

A new case design might be also in the works.. Again, all this is speculation.

chedda

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2006
Underwater
Grand Central Dispatch & Open CL

Surely the new pro will be tailored to exploit the unfullfilled promises of grand central dispatch & open cl. I remember this was touted quite loudly at the time yet we have seen no real implementation as yet.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
If they were to really discontinue the Mac Pro lineup, why do it in stages i.e. Europe, Asia, US etc? Surely thats asking for public bashing... you'd rather just do it the once and thats it.

I guess it is genuinely down to the European laws and that there is some sort of replacement / refresh coming to the Mac Pros later down the line.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
I am really surprised that someone told you that. Had Steve Jobs been around you would never have gotten that kind of an answer, as everything was secret in terms of new product coming out.

Well, if this is TRUE from what enterprise customer relations said, then the WRITING is on the wall already. The Mac Pro is dying.. to be replaced by something "wonderful".. I am betting that its going to be a hybrid iMac/Mac Mini or Mac Mini Pro.. Again, I am not speculating at the moment and I have more important things to worry about at this point.

All I can say is the writing is indeed on the wall - should this call be true.

kendall69

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2011
Announcement by the END OF THE YEAR ??????

Been hearing this since 2008. Everything since 2008 has been very small improvements, not worth me spending 4-6K over my obsolete 2008 which is still running strong and running my business. If this was a car it would have 650,000 miles on it.

Apple has been Pi$$ing on Desktops since 2008.

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
Apple has been Pi$$ing on Desktops since 2008.

Respectfully disagree. The 5,1 offers so much more potential (esp when going aftermarket for chips, and putting in more than 32gigs ram).

Same goes for 4,1 after a firmware flash and some fun with washers/thermal padding (which i'll be doing soon enough).

My 3,1 couldn't keep up - not that it's a bad machine or remotely out of date.

d-m-a-x

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Just had a terrible thought

Is something "huge" a cluster cloud computing type deal? My files are huge and fiber or t1 is more than my rent

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Surely the new pro will be tailored to exploit the unfullfilled promises of grand central dispatch & open cl. I remember this was touted quite loudly at the time yet we have seen no real implementation as yet.

No implementation besides FCPX ?

" ... It's important to check the graphics card that you have in your Mac and ensure it supports OpenCL before attempting to install Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, and Compressor 4. ... "
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4664

Very likely if there is a LogicX it too will have OpenCL and GCD elements to it.

The more mature integration between OpenCL and GCD didn't appear until 10.7. With 10.9 around the corner a minimal OS level of 10.7 probably start to pop up.

However, GCD and OpenCL are not just useful for Mac Pros. Quad cores and GPGPU mobile GPUs can leverage them also. Making these technologies mainstream and useful on all Mac will come back and perhaps help the Mac Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.