Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smeg36

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
I got my Obex tonight. The screen (the main reason I ripped the lifeproof off) is infinitely better. So is sound quality. If it's not for you, something must be wrong with your case. But I HATE the mute switch flap. I have to toggle it several times a day, and that flap is going to get old fast. That, and the bezel around the screen, might make this case a no-go for me. I wish I could combine the screen protector and sound of the Obex with the style of the lifeproof.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Whatever it is, its going back to Seidio. lol I put in for an RMA per the rep on the chat, and I stated to her I wanted every penny of my money back with no restocking fee, and I also want the shipping back, as not only is the case defective because of the way it sounds, but the order was not complete, as they did not ship the spare plugs that are advertised in the manual it is supposed to come with. We will see what comes of that. But in the meantime, broke the Lifeproof back out, and now have perfect sound :)

Did they say they would give you a refund?
I'm not very thrilled with this case either. :(

dakota316

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2011
Missouri
Did they say they would give you a refund?
I'm not very thrilled with this case either. :(

Well I submitted for an RMA to return, and in the field about why im returning I put because the sound problem of being a defective case, and for the fact I didnt even receive all of the order, as the spare ports were missing. Told them I wanted a return shipping label (which the lady in chat told me to put all this) and that I wanted every penny I paid back including shipping since I didnt receive my whole shipment. Waiting on the email back for it, but also posted that video on their Facebook, and they responded they would take care of me. So we shall see, lol.

I knew I should of ordered it from Amazon for the easy return, but they didnt have them in stock when I ordered it, lol

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
I might just dump mine on eBay and take a small loss if I decide to get rid of it.
The silent switch is also another nightmare with the Obex. The more I use this case the more I hate it :eek:
I'm like you, ready to pull out the Lifeproof or old otter defender :rolleyes:

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
Okay, so I got my case on Tuesday and after two days with the case on I'm ready to give my opinion.

I personally think this case is far superior to the Lifeproof case in a few places.

One, the screen is way better, the screen on the Obex is clear, i mean crystal clear, after using my phone with case on it's like looking at a new screen compared to with the Lifeproof. The screen also feels more durable, the Lifeproof screen has always been wavy and seems flimsy.

Second, I feel that the case itself is more durable feeling in the hand.

Third, the sound to me at least is much better on the Obex. I think as with all 4proofs cases (Obex, Lifeproof, Armor and the Atlas) that the sound isn't going to sound quite like the sound of a naked phone. The Obex sound to me sounds better than the Lifeproof case on a lower volume and I think all inclosed cases have to be a little muffled but I don't want to run my phone on full volume and I don't with Obex.

Fourth, the customer service that I've recieived from Seidio has been far more pleasant than with Lifeproof. Lifeproof took weeks to respond to emails, phone calls took 20 mins of being on hold to get someone to answer. I did just get a replacement from Lifeproof and they were prompt this time in responding to my emails about getting a replacement. I'm also slightly confused about their case numbering system as I seem to have recieived a lower number case and not the newest version of the case when I got this replacement.

As with everything there are for sure some improvements that can be made.

One, the rubber ports ... if the Obex could have the same hard rubber as the Lifeproof does covering the headphone port and only the hard plastic covering the lightning cover I feel it would be better. The rubber concerns me on two points, one being durability and secondly the ability to actually keep a watertight seal.

Secondly, the screen is super flat but does a take a little extra pressure to get the screen to respond. Mine seems to be in the top left corner and in some places on the screen. It could be the bumps on the screen that cause this. This isn't a deal breaker for me cause I feel the screen looks and feels far better than the Lifeproof screen.

Third, and as someone else mentioned here, my case sometimes doesn't seem to clip completely on the bottom right. I've requested a new case and we'll see what they say. I clipped my case on starting on the right side and that seems to make it fasten tight but I'm a little paranoid when I take my phone near water that that part of the case has come open.

Lastly is the camera cover, I haven't taken many pictures yet and my paranoia might be getting the best of me at this moment, but I feel that my pictures aren't as clear as they could be. I'll be taking more pictures in the next few days to try to compare.

Wow, sorry for this novel that I wrote, but I hope it helps someone with making a decision on this case.

If you have any questions let me know and I'd be happy to answer as best I can.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Nice review, numbersrbad

I took my Obex off my phone last night and I'm pretty much done with it.
The screen is the only thing that is better then the Lifeproof.

Next up, the Atlas. :)

Last edited:

smeg36

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Nice review, numbersrbad

I took my Obex off my phone last night and I'm pretty much done with it.
The screen is the only thing that is better then the Lifeproof.

Next up, the Atlas. :)

Agreed. I'm glad I bought from Amazon. I'm sending it back with the inability to toggle the mute switch as the reason. I had to use a paper clip to get it to switch because I don't have nails, and I guess fat fingers.

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
Just got mine and the sound is great, better than the Otterbox defender that I have. I love the case so far. Will see as time goes by. I love the fit and the way it is in my hand. I did get one with the extra port covers missing, but not sure Seidio will do anything as I bought it through Amazon. I sent Seidio an email and we will see.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
So I broke down and bought the obex. Got it through Amazon just in case I want to return it. So far, I like some things. Actually a lot of things. The screen is great! I can't stress enough how well it works, and mine is very sensitive all over. No problems. Clarity is excellent. No rainbow effect. It just works!

Fit and feel of the case are also excellent. It is really not bulky at all, which is great. Feels solid and well made.

Now for the ports, and this is where I am having some issues! The opening for the vibrate switch is abysmal. It is soooo small. I do not have big hands, and certainly not fat fingers, but I can barely get the tip of my pinky in there enough to flip the vibrate switch. I don't have long nails at all though as I cut them close. If I did it would be a bit easier I assume.

The other thing is the way the bottom opens. There is the hard plastic flap that you have to open first before you can remove the plug. This flap bends backwards. This is what kind of kills me though as I use a ProClip car mount in my Jeep. It won't fit in the clip because of how this flap opens. This is not a total deal breaker as I know I won't use this type of case all the time, but I wish it would have worked better with my mount.

As to my sound, so far so good. Yes, it is muffled a bit, but not too much. I get no crazy vibration sounds, even at full volume. Seems to work well.

So all in all a really good case. Wish those above two things were different though and it would be perfect. I plan to check out the Atlas for sure as it has a toggle switch for vibrate like LifeProof does and the bottom port looks like it opens to the side rather then flips down and back, which will work better with my mount.

BossTone74

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
Hows the sound on your case BossTone74? Rattling at all like ours is?

If you are referring to the use of the speaker phone, I haven't used it much, but certainly not as clear as a naked phone, it does make it sound like the speakers are "blown", so yes buzzing, rattling...whatever you want to call it, it's not clear.

My main concern in the audio quality from the ear piece. It seems variable, almost like I need to adjust my ear placement sometimes to hear with the volume cranked up, to barely audible where I am asking the person I am talking to repeat themselves.

I love the way it feels, thin yet protected, the screen protector and the reaction when using the touch screen, and or course waterproof...surfing in the bathtub...

So, is it me? is it defective? is this what I should expect? Do I return it?

I need to be able to hear folks when talking....

smeg36

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
My main concern in the audio quality from the ear piece. It seems variable, almost like I need to adjust my ear placement sometimes to hear with the volume cranked up, to barely audible where I am asking the person I am talking to repeat themselves.

I love the way it feels, thin yet protected, the screen protector and the reaction when using the touch screen, and or course waterproof...surfing in the bathtub...

So, is it me? is it defective? is this what I should expect? Do I return it?

I need to be able to hear folks when talking....

That's another reason I returned mine. Call clarity through the earpiece was pretty bad. The lifeproof beats the obex on that front.

BossTone74

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
That's another reason I returned mine. Call clarity through the earpiece was pretty bad. The lifeproof beats the obex on that front.

My father has the life proof and while his screen doesn't seems to lay well, I places a call to myself on his, and the life proof cases sound was so much better....

What to do?!?

dakota316

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2011
Missouri
My father has the life proof and while his screen doesn't seems to lay well, I places a call to myself on his, and the life proof cases sound was so much better....

What to do?!?

I would stick with Lifeproof... I am. Although it does have its downfalls, after giving the Obex a shot, I think its still the best one. The Otterbox isnt even in the same league as the Lifeproof as its so huge, and I may give the Atlas a shot, but just looking at the videos its gonna have a nasty oil slick on the front too, so we will see when they release that. I ordered a colored Lifeproof for iPhone 5 last night, so when I get that ill let you all know if theyve improved.

BossTone74

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
I would stick with Lifeproof... I am. Although it does have its downfalls, after giving the Obex a shot, I think its still the best one. The Otterbox isnt even in the same league as the Lifeproof as its so huge, and I may give the Atlas a shot, but just looking at the videos its gonna have a nasty oil slick on the front too, so we will see when they release that. I ordered a colored Lifeproof for iPhone 5 last night, so when I get that ill let you all know if theyve improved.

Please do let me know! I may return this if you like the lifeproof

HiRisk

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2013
I just received the Obex case (Amazon gift cards FTW) and so far I'm liking it a lot. Audio is slightly muffled but not bad to the point it sounds like a blown speaker. The screen is very clear and touch sensitivity isn't affected at all.

I like the build quality of this case with exception of the rubber port for the mute switch. It seems very flimsy and pops out if you're not careful when pulling it out to have access to the switch.

The water test was fine and picture quality is the same as if the phone wasn't in the case.

The power button, volume, and home button were all responsive. Reception hasn't been affected by this case so far either.

The design seems to be similar to the Atlas with the biggest difference being the glass screen shield.

The Atlas may be worth waiting for due to the warranty covering the case and phone for a year.

The Obex is slim and seems slimmer than the Otterbox Commuter. This case also feels lighter than the iPhone 5 in a Otterbox Commuter.

This case will do for now until the Atlas and Otterbox Armor is released. I may pass on the Atlas and get the Otterbox Armor just to try out. The thought of the Armor being "crush-proof" intrigues me lol.

setty7

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
the atlas specs looks like it will be the slimmest water proof phone case out there.

Cubano21

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Lifeproof Hex

Ill be honest all of you that are saying the LP is better then the obex must have gotten a good LP case. Every case I have recived has had issues with the screen, people can't hear me 6" away from the speaker phone, and one of my biggest issues was when I record video it is really muffled to the point that you can't hear what is being recorded. I haven't had any of those issues with the Obex, now maybe I got lucky with the one I got (which is rare, because I'm not lucky :). I have 3 LP cases here which need to be returned to LP because I'm still waiting on my RMA. The funny thing is a LP rep contacted me last week to ask how my replacement was doing and I said the screen is very wavy, and people could hear there echo when on speaker phone. So they are sending me another one. This will be the 4th replacement from LP and that's not counting the 7-8 that I have bought and returned from Bestbuy. I can hear people crystal clear on the obex and the screen is perfect no oil marks and no waves. Also I can records and it sounds like if there want a case. Also I can speak almost 6' away and people can hear me and they can't hear there echo. So I am definitely sticking with the Obex. I will try the Atlas, hell ill even give the LP replacement a try but the LP case doesn't compare to this case, at least the ones I've owned. Just my 2 Pennies. :rolleyes:

setty7

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
Ill be honest all of you that are saying the LP is better then the obex must have gotten a good LP case. Every case I have recived has had issues with the screen, people can't hear me 6" away from the speaker phone, and one of my biggest issues was when I record video it is really muffled to the point that you can't hear what is being recorded. I haven't had any of those issues with the Obex, now maybe I got lucky with the one I got (which is rare, because I'm not lucky :). I have 3 LP cases here which need to be returned to LP because I'm still waiting on my RMA. The funny thing is a LP rep contacted me last week to ask how my replacement was doing and I said the screen is very wavy, and people could hear there echo when on speaker phone. So they are sending me another one. This will be the 4th replacement from LP and that's not counting the 7-8 that I have bought and returned from Bestbuy. I can hear people crystal clear on the obex and the screen is perfect no oil marks and no waves. Also I can records and it sounds like if there want a case. Also I can speak almost 6' away and people can hear me and they can't hear there echo. So I am definitely sticking with the Obex. I will try the Atlas, hell ill even give the LP replacement a try but the LP case doesn't compare to this case, at least the ones I've owned. Just my 2 Pennies. :rolleyes:

Also there is the griffin + catalyst that looks promising

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.